Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Watson - that's a decent amount of elevation gain to aim for relative to the mileage.  That will definitely make you strong!

Steve/Flavio - yeah it's a bit unusual, it applies to all 3 races in the series, as they are all the same size (1, 2 or 3 laps of a 5km course).  As there are series awards for each distance, most people running the series just pick one at the start and stick with it - like I did with the 10km last year.  This time I had the luxury of being able to wing it and make my mind up partway through lap 1!  It works OK as normally there are not many super-fast runners, if you had a ton of elite runners show up they could mess with each other big time.

Steve - good to hear you had a big breakthrough week - those are very satisfying.  On that long run that was around MP... I had a quick look at Strava and the HR definitely looks like easy pace relative to your workouts.  That should be a big confidence builder and a sign that all your training is starting to bed in.  Also a reminder of the difference conditions make... we've had a pretty humid mid-autumn patch up here (including on Sunday) which I have not been loving.

Flavio - nice recovery week and now onto the 5km!  I would like to say the HM PB will prepare you well but I'm not sure anything really prepares anyone for 5km pain.  You are in great shape to hopefully hit another PB.

Darkwave - yeah I'm generally not a fan of running more than 2 laps, in this case the race was on a loop I do VERY regularly though so it was actually pretty manageable.  Interesting that your HR was higher on the TM than outside for a similar pace, do you have the TM on mild incline?  All the best for your HM coming up.

Zebano - good week although that missed turn would've been frustrating.  I made a course error at a HM 3 years ago and still haven't forgiven myself for it (even though it didn't cost me anything as I was well off PB pace, and didn't affect placings).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Interesting that your HR was higher on the TM than outside for a similar pace, do you have the TM on mild incline?  All the best for your HM coming up.

Yup - I keep the TM on an incline (anywhere from 1-2%) so that I'm pushing off of my glutes/hamstrings more - I find the transition to outside is easier when I do it that way.  The room that the treadmill is in also gets fairly warm - it was 21-22 degrees C (70-71 degrees F) in the room for the tempo, and I think that contributes also.

Zebano - sorry about the missed turn. Honestly, I think if you're a stronger downhill runner, then letting others gap you uphill is the way to go. To race well, you have to play to your strengths, IMHO.

(and sorry about the rough jury duty - that can be really draining).

Steve - very interesting about MP ending up subbing for easy pace.  I would hope that would mean that your marathon potential is significantly faster.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Darkwave yes I do 2 mins recovery jog at 5.30ish per km between reps. Works out about 400m.

This workout leaves me pretty tired for the rest of the day and I had DOMS in my calves for a couple of days. I guess I could do a 6th repeat but I think I would risk injury.

Steve great stuff. I too notice your much lower heart rate lately. I'm not sure how accurate your heart rate monitor is but it looks much better on your easy runs now.

The cheater shoes will work well round Hagley maybe not so much on my Parkrun on gravel ?

Zebano great job. I wasn't sure to comment on strava as you didn't label it as a race. It must be hard to set an effort in a trail race unless you have alot of experience and know the course well.

My nephew in England posted a 19.25 5k on strava today. The only runs I'm seeing from him are once a week 5ks around 20 mins so he's either doing other training not on strava or very gifted.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

piwi - I definitely think Hagley is the place to cash in on your cheat shoes.

Mark (and piwi) - I think the cooler weather is contributing to improved heart rate but the hill running will have helped too.  It feels like the last day of summer here today, cold and crisp in the morning and now 28C (83F).

darkwave - Maybe my goal MP is too slow but I'm going to stay conservative on this one.  It's possible there will be severe gale winds on race day and even if not, I would like to finish without ruling out ever doing it again!  Maybe if I feel okay with 10km to go I could try and lift the pace.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

watsonc123

Mark - my July race is 43km off road with over 2000m elevation, so hill training is a must right now.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Mark congrats on the win! Nice race report!

CK Congrats on the win as well! looking forward to a report of your race.

Zebano nice race and report, sorry you took that wrong turn.

James D, Piwi, Watson Steve nice week

DW Nice week and good luck with your upcoming race sounds like you are well prepared.

Flavio Nice week congrats again on your HM TT and good luck with your upcoming 5k that is a quick turn around.

can you send me the ling to your tool for uploading weekly log from strava?

For me I ended up with just a tad over 30 miles on 4 days of training.  It was the first time over 30 miles since August of last year.

Trying to keep everything slow and build back some endurance

With no upcoming races planned I will try and just remain in the 25-30 ranges for a few more weeks and gradually build up the mileage over the next couple of months.

• Tue 6.6 miles 9:42/m
              • Thur 6 miles 8:48/m
              • Sat  10.75 miles 9:14/m
              • Sun 7 miles 9:48/m

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi - Yeah, you might need that 6th rep, or go for 1200s, or shorten the recoveries.

So that you’re able to run these at 5k pace range. It sounds like you’re running them at 3k pace.

Or just struggling to put it all together on race day.

Darkwave - good luck on your half. Any chance of a podium there?

Steve - is 4:45 your current MP pace for training?

Cause that wouldn’t  e straining for you at your current level.

I totally get you on approaching the marathon with caution.

Mark - Yeah, I’m one of the few bizarre people who prefer the 5k pain than muscular pain.

Depending on the day you’re truly just suffering for 7 to 9 minutes.

Corey - there you go -  http://strava-weekly.herokuapp.com/ .

There's also a link on my signature to a thread here with that for future reference.

By the way, the tool might take a few seconds to load (it's on a free tier account on Heroku) and apparently it does not like certain browser extensions (those that block Javascript).

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Corey good plan. 25 to 30 mpw is a good base to build from.

Flavio yes you are right probably running them closer to 3k pace. I don't check pace or splits out there so I can't adjust mid intervals 

Next time I will do 6 and adjust pace to be more realistic so I can complete that 6th one. Probably be closer to 3.40 per rep.

Maybe I should just go do a Parkrun this weekend 🤔

I think I need to go weigh myself as I haven't for a year or so and I feel pretty skinny. Normally good for running but I know I have a limit to a healthy skinnyness.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Flavio - My target is sub 3:20 which allowing for 42.5km is about 4:42/km.  It sounded like it should be easy even when I wasn't feeling so fit but I need to respect the distance.  I know comfortable over 20km is rather a different thing to comfortable over 42km.

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Flavio - My target is sub 3:20 which allowing for 42.5km is about 4:42/km.  It sounded like it should be easy even when I wasn't feeling so fit but I need to respect the distance.  I know comfortable over 20km is rather a different thing to comfortable over 42km.

Someone once told me that the marathon only really begins around the 35km mark.  I think that's pretty on the money.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Someone once told me that the marathon only really begins around the 35km mark.  I think that's pretty on the money.

I've heard similar although it varies from 32-35.  So months of training, hundreds of kms all will be decided by how tough you can be for 7-10km.  I guess when I speak of fear, that's the 30 or so minutes I'm talking about!  30 or so minutes unless disaster occurs.

2024 Races:

Yes everyone is on pace till about 35kms....then they get unexpected cramps 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Yes everyone is on pace till about 35kms....then they get unexpected cramps 

Yup.  And they wonder why.  And consider every possible reason, except the most obvious and likely - that they were running faster than they could sustain that day for the marathon distance.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I've heard similar although it varies from 32-35.  So months of training, hundreds of kms all will be decided by how tough you can be for 7-10km.  I guess when I speak of fear, that's the 30 or so minutes I'm talking about!  30 or so minutes unless disaster occurs.

I don't think the last 7-10km are about toughness (though that's a prerequisite).  It's about having the patience and discipline to get to that point in good shape.

Marathoning is different from shorter races in that you have to be able to straddle that balance of uncomfortable/comfortable just right.

You can fake your way through shorter races via toughness and hanging on.  Not the marathon.

zebano

Yup.  And they wonder why.  And consider every possible reason, except the most obvious and likely - that they were running faster than they could sustain that day for the marathon distance.

lol. DarkWave takes no prisoners. Brutal.

edit: Mark, considering the weather in the US right now, it's pretty easy to explain treadmill HR being higher just due to heat & humidity. I have some triathlete friends who have absurdly powerful fans set up in their "pain cave" just to help disperse the heat a little.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)