Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

Keen no shame in not been happy with first. I would rather PR and be last than win in a sub standard time ( unless the prizes are awesome  Wink

Jmac good to have you back from the mountains. I'm sorry I can't contribute as I've never run a bad marathon 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Jmac good to have you back from the mountains. I'm sorry I can't contribute as I've never run a bad marathon 

Hehe I have retired from marathons having never run over 3:00

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Agreed Mark. Why do people run marathons over 3 hours ? Its such a long time to be in discomfort 

Marky_Mark_17

Agreed Mark. Why do people run marathons over 3 hours ? Its such a long time to be in discomfort 

I was at the track a couple of weeks ago, and there was a lady up there running a 6 hour race.

It's pretty impressive but I have absolutely no desire to ever do that.  Surely it gets boring apart from just being painful?

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

darkwave

Mother of Cats

It's pretty impressive but I have absolutely no desire to ever do that.  Surely it gets boring apart from just being painful?

There are many who say the same thing about what we do....

CK- sorry about the race.  At least you have the benefit of knowing from other races that this one didn't reflect your fitness.

It's a funny thing, being disappointed with something that would thrill another - I think that's the one thing all competitive runners will have in common.  I think it goes hand in hand with the fact that none of us are ever completely satisfied with our current PRs and accomplishments. We always want more, and that's one reason we keep doing this.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Humblebragging - I like that word!

Darkwave - I have never run more than 21-22km, because I am lazy and too unstructured for marathon training. My understanding of marathon running was however, that no matter how much work you put in, you will inevitably go through the cave and it is more a mental hurdle than a physical one. You read of it as much from Deena Kastor, Karen Goucher as you do from relatively well prepared hobby joggers. And if someone like Goucher is able to set national records, would we be able to call her underprepared? Or is it a different pain cave, that the elite goes through? Or is someone that doesn't go through the pain in the later phase of a marathon not really digging deep enough?

Keen - thanks for the details. Great RR, that was good fun. Is there a photo of the start somewhere? Would like to see how this race compares to Piwi challenging the 10 year olds.

Flavio: great 5k PR! or second best effort. Congrats on not passing out Smile Careful though, it sounded like you dug really deep there.

I am currently not digging deep enough, for sure. Was really unmotivated to run last week and stopped running for 6 days and then when I resumed on Monday, following a run-commute at a slow pace, had major muscle aches which I have used to stop again for 2 days Smile Well, it's going to be the Easter break and I look forward to exercising a bit more then.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

JamesD

JamesD

Geez, this is actually REALLY awkward. Having a really poor (for me) race and feeling like poo through most of it, but not being able to say anything about it when someone congratulates me afterwards. I would much rather have run a time I that's a reflection of my fitness but come in dead last in doing so.

I hear you.  A couple of years ago I was coming back from an injury layoff and had a very poor rustbuster 5K.  Let's just say that it took me a mile to pass an 8-year-old.  Only a couple of competitive people showed up, and I wound up third male.  I had to keep telling myself that the people congratulating me were being very nice and that it wouldn't do anybody any good to explain how disappointed I was.

Thinking about your last sentence...as someone who has never won a race as an adult (several 3rds/4ths/5ths in small races), I think I might enjoy winning despite a bad race just once, but every other time I'd rather run well than place well.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Running Problem

Problem Child

Keen You've hit the level where it's about PRs and not overall wins. I understand it a bit and also think "wtf? you won but you're not happy? did you think this was the olympic trials?" Eating like garbage on race day is a bad choice ANY time. I have learned the hard way it's better to wait until the very last second possible where you won't have a chance to run, than start eating like trash. "oh it's 9:30pm and I can't sleep? Better get the Oreos out and be up for three more hours instead of going for a 60 minute stroll." Congradudolences on the win. Better luck on the 15k.

Piwi/mark Locally we use to have times events. 1, 3, 6 and even 12 hours at one. I think they dropped the 12 hour because not many people signed up and it was a LOOOOOONNG day for them. Some of the times were impressive though. 7-8:00mi pace for 12 hours? SHEESH!

doctors They're like a mechanic for your body. Sometimes you get the feeling from the start your blinker fluid is going to need to be rotated and so focusing on your right foot strike is going to help. Other times it's a full blown operation. Dentists I'm cool with even though they are typically a doctor of dental medicine.

Mick I personally believe the "pain cave" is the equivalent of "the question" discussed here. You get to this really uncomfortable spot where quitting is logical to yourself while also unacceptable. The elites might just call it the pain cave because they know there is no option to quit. Hopefully you get back to running. I can honestly say after every break I've taken, scheduled or not, I come back thinking "man that was a waste of time"

bad races we've all had them. Some of them affect us more than others. I think the recovery from the worst race I had was alleviated by having another one shortly after so sulking and being depressed for more than a week really wasn't an option since training while depressed REALLY sucks. Ever done 400m intervals at a "whatever. I don't care. it's not going to help anyways." pace? OOF.

JMac hopefully you get back out there soon. I'd hate to see all that work last year not pay off with some big race results. You're right about sub 20 not really being impressive here. I think it's why I keep coming back. Associating myself with greatness pushes me to keep going. If I hung out with a bunch of casual 20 mile/33km weekly runners I'd be happy just going out jogging.

shoes anyone her ever tried the Carbon X? yeah I know I'm jumping ship to Hoka because I have a free pair, but the Nike shoes are getting stupid expensive and I'm starting to not like the way they look. I'm happy with their performance though.

EDIT: Just saw NZ raised minimum wage. I can't even begin to understand how expensive it must cost to live there at $20/hr.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen - I think different. Winning is awesome. I won ONE race my entire life. It was a local affair (kind of a park run), 4 laps of 2km.

There was no podium as it was part of a series. I still relish that day.

I never ever came even close to winning a race as all races I’ve joined but that one are usually won by people way faster than me.

I’ll take winning a race against 2 year olds 

Piwi - It’s hilarious I’m supremely confident just before all races. Sometimes that confidence fades quickly as I find out I started too fast 

Jmac - hopefully you can get some help to get the foot issue figured out

Mick - Some people are sandbagging, or started out too conservative so they don’t join the pain cave.

The pain cave in a marathon is like the seven hells. 

The pain cave described by people like Mark and Jmac is level 1, where you’re in a LOT of pain but you keep the pace or have a slight fade.

There are 6 more levels below that, all the way down to getting passed by 2 walking ladies cause you’re walking so slowly due to widespread muscular failure.

I think if you didn’t have to walk you’re still in the first 2 comfy levels of pain cave.

The elites also hit many of these levels of pain cave, especially the young males who fly too close to the sun trying to keep up with Kipchoge then have a long way back home. Sometimes they even walk (or drop out) depending on the bonus incentive.

They also train at a really high level always close to 100% so they also always have some sort of injury going on.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Piwi - My thoughts exactly! The win got me a $50 gift card to the "other" LRS in town. I almost would have preferred the $25 gift card to my favorite LRS that was given to 2nd place.
                      Also, those of us who run marathons in more than 3 hours aren't really racing, we're just out for a casual stroll.

MJ - The start line photos aren't quite of the same level as Piwi vs Children.

RP - No direct experience with the Carbon X (or CX2), but all three of the local runners I know of who have tried them (from 2:30 HM level to 2:30 marathon runners) have really liked them.

Flavio - I live in an area that isn't exactly known for a fitness culture, though that is improving somewhat. This leads to 200+ person races being pretty good sized for the area, and not a lot of speed around when the fast HS kids can't show up.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

darkwave

Mother of Cats

So...to expand on the discussion:

it's not that I think that marathons are not about discomfort and suffering (which is different from PAIN in my book - if you're in ACTUAL PAIN you should almost always stop running), but rather that:

a) all races have the same total discomfort - it's just that some (shorter races) are brief and highly concentrated doses while others (longer races) have the discomfort spread over a longer duration.

b) Tolerating suffering and discomfort in the final miles of a marathon is necessary BUT NOT SUFFICIENT for a good performance.  In shorter races, if you can suffer, you can hang on long enough to salvage something.  But the marathon, I don't care how tough you are - if you're not in reasonably good shape going into mile 20, you are going to blow up and hemorrhage time.

And the people who insist that the marathon is all about toughness are generally the same people who seem to think that it's OK to be in trouble at mile 13 and on.  Who in turn are those who blow up somewhere near mile 20.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Keen thats a cool photo. You lookin great shape.

I've come first a few times mainly in local 5ks, my parkrun 3 times, another 5k the one with all the kids  and a 7k race, and a few times at the old Thursday evening 5ks I used to sometimes go to.

Of course these are barely races and not always very competitive but the faster you are the more chance it can happen.

RP I will be a Next% owner soon. From reviews I've read the Carbon X is good but not as fast sorry 😐 as Next %

Flavio confidence and arrogance are good qualities for you elites . I'm not ready for a 5k this weekend. Mentally mostly and fatigued somewhat still.

Darkwave yes thats so true for me. Was never happy passing a new PR mark. May have contributed to my giving up for a few years where I kept losing motivation.

Now I realize at 52 I may never get back there so im more at peace with been slower.

Mick thats a bummer. You need that little seed of motivation that gets you out there everyday.

Yesterday I really didn't want to run but rang up piwi junior who was keen so that got me out there. Changing the route or time of day can help with breaking the monotony.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Darkwave yes thats so true for me. Was never happy passing a new PR mark. May have contributed to my giving up for a few years where I kept losing motivation.

Now I realize at 52 I may never get back there so im more at peace with been slower.

I have a friend who was an elite 1500m/mile runner - he never made the Olympics, but was fast enough to do it full time, have a shoe deal, run in the European summer track meets, etc....

He once told me that the day he ran his 1500m PR, he knew it as soon as he finished.  And pretty much right after that, the fire was just not what it was.

zebano

Keen  Great photo, you're serious and ready to roll but I always laugh at start line photos because most people are looking at their watch!

Flavio I need some of that confidence! It's a great quality when starting a race.

As someone who has done a 9 hour looped race, it's surprisingly fun. I especially liked "throwing down" (everything is relative) the final hour as everyone else is basically sitting down and calling it quits.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

keen - great photo.  If all I saw was that I think I'd be able to predict who the winner was.

darkwave - Well you're definitely adding to my fear!  Or maybe just giving me a good reminder to stick to the plan even when marathon pace seems conservative and easy.  I felt not quite as sharp yesterday which could be a reminder to slow down.  I did give blood 24 hours earlier which may also be a factor.

RP - That's what you get when you have a govt with no idea about business.  Businesses going under every day thanks to ridiculous snap lockdowns and what do they do?  Increase the minimum wage and double sick leave.  We're definitely heading into some tough economic times, a lot of our own making, that someone down the track will have to dig us out of.

JMac - What's the name of that race?  I would LOVE to win a race.  I'd love a PR and meeting time goals more of course.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024