Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DW - forgot to thank you for the podiatrist recc. I'm checking with a friend who knows docs at HSS here in NYC, but if that fails, I will contact your guy. Thank you!

Half Marathons / Steve - 3 months out is a long time to judge your fitness for a marathon. I always liked the idea of racing one about 4-6 weeks out from your marathon to get a good goal. However, I also like one at the beginning of a cycle (often do a 10K though) to judge how fast to run workouts during your cycle.

Step Challenges - very silly if not done right. Cannot believe people would cheat in them.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Of course, the counterpoint is...his fitness today may be very different from his fitness 3 months from now (as you later acknowledge)

That being said, I like the idea of racing half-marathons and 10 milers all out because I find I get a nice fitness boost from doing so that makes the taper and recovery worth it.

If it were me, I'd also be working pretty hard to make sure I had some sort of race within a month of the marathon - whether it was a 10 miler/half 3 weeks out or a 5K-10K two weeks out.  It's just important to knock the rust off before the big day, IME.

Agreed that the proper time to worry about weather is a week out.

(should also note that Steve knows his body better than the rest of us - if he says that racing a half won't work for him based on his recovery needs, then that's the final word.  I know how frustrating it is when people insist I should be able to do something that simply does not work for me and always results in failure)

Flavio - my employer uses to have a steps challenge (not specifically running).  I assumed that since I was marathon training at the time that I would be competitive.  Nope.  I was way down the list, behind a large number of people who were laying down ultra-runner level mileage, but were not to my knowledge into sports much.

And then I figured it out - the leaders in the competition were all in regions where many commuted by train daily.  And...if you've ever worn a wrist pedometer while riding a train, you know how quickly you can accumulate "steps"....

Yep, I know for certain that racing a half will mean either injury or extended recovery. My coach who has known me for 6 years is even more conservative than me - I wanted to run the half quicker than MP but he’s overruled. For the first 2 races I followed his programmes, I didn’t really believe I’d get the targets he had in mind but he was right within 30 secs. One of these was my 2016 PB. So I’ll trust his judgement.

Some of the amazing feats in here are inspiring but I know which ones shouldn’t be attempted by me!

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Flavio - Get yourself some doubles!!! In my experience it's easier to build mileage by adding in a short double a few times per week than it is by adding more time/distance to existing runs.

Finish line pic:

I'm quite glad that there wasn't a photographer during the last 1/2 mile as I'm certain I looked MUCH worse given that I also felt much worse as well.

Mick - Those particular shorts actually have a nifty zip pocket on the left hip for keys and a mesh pocket big enough for a gel or two on the right (plus a compression-style pocket on the back for a phone).
        The armband is a Scosche Rhythm+ 2 optical HR monitor. I greatly prefer this style vs watch-based optical or the typical chest strap.
        Note: if anyone's interested in checking those out if you spend some time on Scosche's website looking at them and then leave the tab alone for a while it'll trigger a pop-up asking you not to "leave" and give you a coupon code for 20% off!

Work activity challenges - My current company doesn't seem to do those, but my last one did. My experiences with that were much the same as DWave's - I'm running 70+ mpw and am getting crushed in step goals by people who appeared to get zero exercise aside from the occasional walk to the snack machine in the break room. To top it off, this company even allowed manual steps entries. Don't know how many steps you got in a day? Just give yourself 15k and call it good!

Double ETA: No sooner do I say something about the new company not doing health stuff than I get an email about a "resilience and mindfulness" challenge. Completing 20x "short meditation sessions" nets you a t-shirt. And maybe inner peace, or some garbage like that.

Also, I'm feeling nice and flat with two days before the 15k, but at the same time my pace/effort vs HR is improving noticeably. This is all terribly confusing. Maybe I should go meditate.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Double ETA: No sooner do I say something about the new company not doing health stuff than I get an email about a "resilience and mindfulness" challenge. Completing 20x "short meditation sessions" nets you a t-shirt. And maybe inner peace, or some garbage like that.

Isn't going on RA a form of meditation?

Steve - I'm a rare person on here that likes running half marathons at MP. I had a little twist on it though. I would always run the first 11 miles at MP. Then, if I felt amazing, I would do the last two at LT pace. It's a really hard workout that is almost impossible in normal training, but very doable in a race. You should try that.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Isn't going on RA a form of meditation?

Steve - I'm a rare person on here that likes running half marathons at MP. I had a little twist on it though. I would always run the first 11 miles at MP. Then, if I felt amazing, I would do the last two at LT pace. It's a really hard workout that is almost impossible in normal training, but very doable in a race. You should try that.

Yeah, I may pick up the pace a little in the last few km but only if I'm feeling great.  I'm kind of looking forward to it - I've always done this as a goal race so it will be nice to be more relaxed and able to enjoy the day and maybe chat to other runners and hopefully encourage some along.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Flavios challenge is a km one and not steps right ?

If so that should help  although don't underestimate how competitive people can get. There will be plenty of low mileage people who will go crazy if motivated.

Keen you got to break the tape ! I have never done that.

When I see guys like you on the start I always think how the hell can I beat this dude with his long legs 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

watsonc123

Keen - sorry I missed it, but what was your time?

+1 to Steve racing something before the marathon.  A 5k race is pretty easy to recover from.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Piwi - I see short, slightly built people on the line and I think "How can I beat someone who won't catch wind like a sail the way I do?"!

Watson - My time was 53:10 - a slower pace by a couple seconds per mile than my HM two weeks prior. I hope to improve on that greatly during my 15k this Saturday.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Keen what about short stocky people with hobbit like legs ?

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

watsonc123

Keen -  sorry, what distance?

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

RP -  I see your 3h56 marathon and I raise a 4h42 and a 4h49 marathons.

Mick - happier than ever. I’ve been working remotely since 2012 but it was 2017 when I finally reached US level compensation and life got easier.

So you guys have an idea, my first job was as a part time office boy at age 12. My salary was the equivalent of 5 USD...... per month.

So let's just say that reaching US level of compensation has a different taste for somebody like myself Smile

The best part is that I set my own rate and so long as there is a market for my services then I'm doing well.

I like that the market dictates how much I make. If I work well and get my name out there then I can earn more. 

If I do a shitty job or the market is down then I earn less.

There are around 4 thousand people working for Toptal, not a single office.

The company has figured out remote working more than 5 years ago. The other IT companies are still in the time of the type writer in comparison and losing talent by the day.

Keen - thanks for the finish line picture, you’re looking good! I’ll definitely reach for doubles.

It looks like you guys are also back to regular start lines and regular races. I’m jealous!

Go for 20 sessions of 1s meditations, easy profit!

Piwi - that’s right, then the guys are power walking and make their workouts private.

I’ve posted a screenshot today showing my workouts are public trying to peer pressure them into make theirs public as well.

By the way, longer legs are a hindrance to running if you’re not agile. I am seeing taller runners at the front of major marathons lately though, that's an interesting trend.

Watson - Keen ran 8 miles 12.8km roughly.

me - The challenge is going well so far. My hamstrings are doing better today. I'm in third place at 25.2km with the top 2 around 29km, they run slower in the 8 to 9 minutes per km, I believe they're power walking.

If they're ultra freaks then there's nothing I can do, if they're not they'll crash and burn in a week.

Total number of participants is 75. I reckon I can try to keep an average of 14km roughly 9 miles per day. We shall see.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

keen Nice Race photos.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Piwi - Even short, stocky runners! People don't think CdA be like it is, but it do.

Flavio - I'd say we're largely at regular start lines. That race, as well as my one tomorrow are put on by my favorite of the two running shops in the area and used the standard mass start, with people wearing masks if they wanted to. I got an email about a HM in 5 weeks that's being put on by the "other" running shop and it was quite different. There was nearly as much text telling/repeating how everyone is expected to wear masks when not running, that you need to stay away from people while running, and that they're doing wave starts (same race size as my race tomorrow) as there was for actual race information.

The weather for my 215k looks pretty darn good. 50F/10C, 13-15mph (21-25kmh) wind that should essentially be a crosswind the entire time. The only real complaint is that it's supposed to be nice and sunny!

ETA: Fat-fingered my race distance. Also, CIM registration opens on April 6 and 9amPST. Yes, I have a reminder saved in my calendar so I can get on that quickly.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

zebano

Good luck with the 25k Keen!

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Also, CIM registration opens on April 6 and 9amPST. Yes, I have a reminder saved in my calendar so I can get on that quickly.

I think this is the only thing I’m looking forward to. Maybe it will motivate me to finally train.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22