Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

keen did you get to keep the finish line "tape" after you crossed? I think it along with the photo of you crossing it (FLOATING!!!!! JEALOUS!!) would be a cool trophy/display case thing.

No, I didn't get to keep it. They reused it for the first female to cross - just the same way as they used it for the first man and woman finishing the 8k. That would have been really nifty, though.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Marky_Mark_17

Keen - nice RR and well done again.  I found 15k to be a slightly odd distance.  Not quite 10k, not quite HM.  Good on you registering for CIM.

Watson - stop injuring yourself!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

zebano

Zeb - No, I’m done with weighted dead lifts for a long while now. In fact I’m done with weighted exercises seeing as we sold the kettlebells this morning.

I saw strength work on your weekly, that made me smile

Ahh no. This makes me sad. Between your back and Watson's back doing deadlifts, I'm getting worried.

Keen  Shame about the 15k, some days we just don't have it. Looks like you went out a little hot but didn't really blow up which is good. I've been meaning to tell you that you're better than an OK Runner in my book. You gotta stop being so hard on yourself on strava!

DW  Count me on the train of people impressed by you racing without a watch.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

CIM registration opened up late this morning and the website went down for a while. After much refreshing (which I know did precious little for reducing traffic to the webservers) I did get to register! I'm an extra step or two closer to hiring a coach for this as well. 
          Now, who has advice on travelling there, where to stay, etc.? Also, any advice on telling my wife I signed myself up for a marathon halfway across the country? Perhaps I can bill this as a kid-less trip to wine country...

I really liked the Inn Off Capitol Park when I stayed there.  Good location and reasonably priced, though the rooms can be a bit small.  I plan to stay there next time I do CIM.

Travelling - I just flew into Sacramento and took a taxi into downtown.  From there, I didn't need a car.  You can walk to a Safeway grocery store from downtown, as well as several convenience stores and bodegas in case you need to buy throwaway clothing or similar.

For those of us not on the West Coast, it works well to stay on your local time and not adjust to the time change.  The buses leave very early Sunday morning, but it's not that early if you're on east coast or central time.

Regarding your race report - it was a good read.  Like others, I noted that your first KM was one of your fastest - could that be a cause?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark - The marathon should be an interesting battle.  Oska Baynes is doing the half and based on his training and recent comments on Strava, he may be having a crack at the course record (1:02:37).

CK - Nice RR and well done for hanging in there.  Even if it wasn't quite what you wanted I'm sure it will pay off.  Only points off are for not giving the full names and running histories of everyone you encountered in the race - perhaps Mark can offer guidance on your next RR 

I'm starting to look forward to the "race" now - I've hardly thought about it and suddenly it's here.  It will be nice to (hopefully) feel good and train in a much different environment.

Can you add the Melbourne Half-Marathon for October 10 to the front page?  I'm reasonably confident (70%) I can be there now.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Keen thanks for the race report. I find 4 min km sometimes good and sometimes challenging too. You are on the cusp of holding that for a half though.

Mark I've run with that Alice sometimes. I would think she's closer to 2.40.

I will be in Auckland Saturday and Sunday morning probably in the Parnell area. If you are up for a run let me know.

Ok my super shoes just arrived. Strict instructions from my wife to put them away till my birthday may 2nd.

I couldn't help but slip one on. Damn there's some serious bounce just walking across the room.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

watsonc123

I would be really surprised if Alice Mason goes sub 2:30.  That is seriously quick for a woman.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Steve - LOL I love Mark's race reports, I'm not sure he knows we don't know those people Big grin

Keen - it seems you used up your racing points with 3 races in a row.

I've noticed that on my 5k time trial, I had already used up most of it.

good luck on the negotiation with your wife. I hope you don't lose tok much (you probably will though)

Watson - ugh, old age sucks man. To add insult to injury I've tweaked my back doing deadlifts with an 18kg kettlebell.

Piwi   - oh man, that's almost sado masochism LOL

Me - I've finally listened to reason and dropped out of the distance challenge.

I really really need to be lazy right now and run very little.

It was when I had to pop an nsaid pill yesterday cause my back had gone bad again that I finally realized it.

Once I'm good again I'll start making plans again.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Keen Nice race report, sorry it didn't go as planned.

Piwi those shoes look nice hope they work our for you!

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Piwi did you have to pay extra for them to put BS all over your expensive shoes?  oh wait, there is an R in there. BRS?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

CIM registration opened up late this morning and the website went down for a while. After much refreshing (which I know did precious little for reducing traffic to the webservers) I did get to register! I'm an extra step or two closer to hiring a coach for this as well. 
                        Now, who has advice on travelling there, where to stay, etc.? Also, any advice on telling my wife I signed myself up for a marathon halfway across the country? Perhaps I can bill this as a kid-less trip to wine country...

Staying in Folsom really doesn't save you anything. I did it last year and it's not worth it. I should probably think about where I'll stay this year, but it's 90% going to be in Sac so I can walk to the truck and drive home.

Holiday Inn is next to the freeway and it's the home of the blind athletes. The bus pickup is very close by too.

The Sheraton isn't worth it. I did it last year. They don't even have a refrigerator in the hotel and I don't think they had anything for runners in the morning.

Flying into Oakland might be less expensive than flying into Sacramento, but it's a drive to get there. Unsure if you'll need a car to get around Sac.

I fully expect the expo to be downtown and NOT at the Sacramento Kings stadium. It was cool to check that place out, but getting in/out sucked. Especially when the girl ahead of me had all her luggage and had to have all of it checked in case she was planning on changing in public and they didn't like her outfit. Maybe they wanted to make sure she wasn't smuggling shoes in.

Make dinner reservations early. Heck, if I'm there we can have dinner together somewhere because I expect to be solo, or the small group of running friends I have might get together.

Drop bags are picked up at the starting line and I'd say well organized at the finish line. I've never had anything go missing and the race sells all the same swag at the finish they had at the expo. You ride a school bus to the start.

As for the wife...I'd say "okay, if I don't do it this time I'm going to quit trying to qualify for Boston and I'll just run the local marathon." It's probably worth mentioning I'm a big fan of CIM so you signing up ensures the weather is going to be great until race day. I got nothing on the whole "wine trip" thing. I think someone here did a similar trip in 2019 and stayed around Calistoga days after the race.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Flavio: lawyers and doctors LOL. Anyone on here from this group? Good to know that you can make a decent living with your skills, regardless of where you live. I totally like that idea. Gosh Brazilian is going through some tough times. Its a bit scary to see what long term effects Covid can have on mental illnesses like insomnia, dementia etc. This is apparently now emerging. I hope I can survive another 2-3 months without getting it....

Sacramento: you guys are all going? If it is not eligible for official PR's, I hope none of you posts it in the signature. Someone very clever on letsrun.com calculated the net effect of the downhill to equate to 25 miles. It's a pity it will be in December, I would have joined you guys if this would have been in July/early August. Keen: wine country or a city trip to SF maybe? Folsom: Johnny Cash comes to mind and his Folsom Prison concert. It's about cocaine and him shooting his wife, who had 5 other boyfriends!

Piwi: those are some awesome looking shoes. Does it say BS on it? And I didn't know but are those unisex?

Keen: interesting on the HR armband. I will keep this in mind for the future (after getting the foot pod. I didn't see those 180bpm in your strava. It looks relatively ok there in the 170's.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Flavio: lawyers and doctors LOL. Anyone on here from this group? Good to know that you can make a decent living with your skills, regardless of where you live. I totally like that idea. Gosh Brazilian is going through some tough times. Its a bit scary to see what long term effects Covid can have on mental illnesses like insomnia, dementia etc. This is apparently now emerging. I hope I can survive another 2-3 months without getting it....

Sacramento: you guys are all going? If it is not eligible for official PR's, I hope none of you posts it in the signature. Someone very clever on letsrun.com calculated the net effect of the downhill to equate to 25 miles. It's a pity it will be in December, I would have joined you guys if this would have been in July/early August. Keen: wine country or a city trip to SF maybe? Folsom: Johnny Cash comes to mind and his Folsom Prison concert. It's about cocaine and him shooting his wife, who had 5 other boyfriends!

Piwi: those are some awesome looking shoes. Does it say BS on it? And I didn't know but are those unisex?

Keen: interesting on the HR armband. I will keep this in mind for the future (after getting the foot pod. I didn't see those 180bpm in your strava. It looks relatively ok there in the 170's.

I am a lawyer, and my marathon PR is from Sacramento.

I'm guessing I need to leave... Big grin

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I am a lawyer, and my marathon PR is from Sacramento.

I'm guessing I need to leave... Big grin

Don't forget "run by feel" and "plan backups to my contingency plans" as reasons you can depart.  I swear...you have this running thing figured out better than I have figured out what running watch I'll wear and I only own one.

Mick Good thing Boston is as downhill as CIM.  spoiler alert: It's MORE downhill, but apparently it's a different downhill and net downhill doesn't matter when comparing the two. One is practically a Revel course, and the other is Boston. oh yeh..... CIM starts at the South end of Folsom Prison. Right about here.

My marathon, and technically half marathon, PRs are ALSO from sacramento. It's such an easy course to PR I'll probably get a NYM qualifying time this year and I've only raced a 5k since December 2019.

VDOT 53.37 

Mick/RP I didn't pick up on the BRS but now I see it looks like those letters in the upper material. It may stand for bouncy running shoes 

I mainly chose that color so as not to look like the traditional bright pink and green ones that instantly screams Nike cheater shoes  ( sorry Mark )

Mick yes looks like they do ladies and men's in the same shoes. Probably won't work for wider feet as Steve found out. I only walked across the room with one on but felt like a good fit for me. The shoe was pushing back up quite noticeably.

They have just released Next % 2s now which are actually cheaper. Basically the same shoe with a slightly different upper material.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "