Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - I'd almost forgotten those dictatorship days

He thought he could get rid of weather complaining.  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I think the rule should be that you can complain about the weather, but only in the opposite metric.  So you Kiwis need to translate from Celcius.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Anytime I read from you guys "severe", "awful", "cold, "miserably hot", or "unbearable", I just assume it was 55F instead of 50F and a kiwi bird wasn't whispering sweet nothings in your ear while Nathan Jones cheered you on from the sidelines. The horror.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Mark - Really solid week.

Zebano - Great job nailing that "A" goal! It definitely sounds like pre-race camping is a good idea.

Flavio - I'm sure glad you're continuing to improve.

DWave - Nice week, and an ambitious plan for this one.

Watson - Awesome trail race with a killer elevation profile.

Nathan Jones - Can the Kiwis please give the rest of us a Venn diagram that details which Nathan Jones is, and is not, another Nathan Jones?

Me - Just a bit shy of 70 miles last week, all easy again. Right now I'm not really planning on jumping in to any races soon (well, I might fit in a 5k during DD1's soccer tournament this weekend), so I'll probably just stick with easy runs and some doubles to build mileage before starting in on short/fast workouts again.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

watsonc123

Darkwave - deal, we will happily use Celsius

Zebano - I did hike the majority of the big hill.  I will get out a RR soon.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Darkwave - deal, we will happily use Celsius

That was an unfortunate typo, now fixed.....

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

That's great consistency, and honestly great patience. If you figure anything out regarding weight loss, please share!!! I've never had success losing weight by increasing miles because I just eat more. Eating is such a comfort thing for me that it takes serious focus and dedication to lose any weight. Piwi has some good advice, for me it's almost always about not snacking after dinner.

Thanks I tend not to be very patient but I have no plans other than a 1 mile race planned in August so it seems I have a while to get where I'm going.

As far as the weight control, as Piwi says I need to cut out the beer and sugar, but mostly sugar   I think the biggest thing that helped me in the past is just plain old portion control and not eating to the point of feeling full. I like to cook but I'm sure the comfort food I like to cook is not the healthiest.  I'm thinking after we get our house sold and we move to our Apt. I'll find one for my wife and I.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I did suggest a while back that any weather complaining had to first be approved by JMac.  Could be time to implement this?

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

This is my problem too Corey. I will eat whatever sized plate is put in front of me.

Thanks I tend not to be very patient but I have no plans other than a 1 mile race planned in August so it seems I have a while to get where I'm going.

As far as the weight control, as Piwi says I need to cut out the beer and sugar, but mostly sugar   I think the biggest thing that helped me in the past is just plain old portion control and not eating to the point of feeling full. I like to cook but I'm sure the comfort food I like to cook is not the healthiest.  I'm thinking after we get our house sold and we move to our Apt. I'll find one for my wife and I.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

I did suggest a while back that any weather complaining had to first be approved by JMac.  Could be time to implement this?

This is not what I expected from the Chief Weather Complainer.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

But doesn't the chief Weather Complainer Complainer pull rank on a mere Weather Complainer?  Of course now I'm a Weather Complainer Complainer Complainer....

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

But doesn't the chief Weather Complainer Complainer pull rank on a mere Weather Complainer?  Of course now I'm a Weather Complainer Complainer Complainer....

This has got too meta for me.  I was perfectly ok just weather complaining.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Steve/Mark - I’m afraid this is turning into the screenplay for the next Inception movie LOL

Steve - You mentioned Mark running 100km, but he’s much faster than us, effort wise his 100km is the same as our 80km weeks.

100km * 4 min = 400 minutes = 6h40 = 400 minutes / 5 minutes per km = 80km

Corey - 25 miles per week is plenty training for a mile race.

Darkwave - beast of a long run, and getting faster towards the end also.

Piwi - I’ve learned to squat down when putting my shoes on, but I don’t always remember.

Mark - Next is base building and hopefully reach a weekly mileage close to 100km per week. That’s over 8 hours of running though…. We’ll see how the body adapts to easy running.

Steve - You just invite him over and we’ll see what happens. It would be glorious if jones and jones123 joined the board.

Weight loss - if I've learned anything over the past few years struggling to lose weight it's that it seems no matter what you do the body will do whatever it wants to.

The one thing I've managed over this time is to introduce some habits and get rid of some.

Like at first I've quit eating hot dogs but kept eating all the other stuff. Then overtime I've inverted the portions of my meals, now breakfast is huge, lunch is ok, dinner is a smaller portion and it's eaten around 6 or 7pm (long before I got to bed at 10).

Then this year I've created a habit that if I'm eating bread/bread like food, it has to have some greens in it so I have ready to eat lettuce and rucola/ rocket salad and always add it to my sandwiches.

It seems as with running what matters is consistency and creating good habits/eliminating bad habits.

Another thing that is not given much importance is digestion. Good digestion is the key to good health overall, well working immune system.

I remember a Japanese man who used to say: Eat well, shit well, sleep well.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I think you get one complaint about weather per week, unless it's race week, where you can complain indefinitely. 2 pages about previous winds was probably a bit much...

Flavio - one word: roughage.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

zebano

CFarr - what's portion control?? I love to make Veggie Stir Fries (usually with Shrimp or chicken) but then I eat 3-4 cups at a time so it's kinda useless for weight loss.

Is this Complaining about weather complaining complainers just this boards version of Whose on First?

Flavio - Sage wisdom about the duration it takes us to run as far as Mark, but "Eat Well, Shit Well, Sleep Well" is probably the best advice anyone's given in the year and a half I've been in this thread. mmm Fiber.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)