Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

To be fair, I was complaining about weather for races I didn’t even run...okay, I see your point. April and May are the best running months here so I need to work hard to find something to complain about 

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

I think you get one complaint about weather per week, unless it's race week, where you can complain indefinitely. 2 pages about previous winds was probably a bit much...

Speaking of which, my race will be in the long range forecast from tomorrow...

To be fair, I was complaining about weather for races I didn’t even run...okay, I see your point. April and May are the best running months here so I need to work hard to find something to complain about 

I complained a number of times that the weather was good on race day for races that were cancelled or postponed, which is probably the same thing about weather complaining for races that I didn't run.  Ironically Run the Point got postponed twice, both the original dates had weather as good as you could hope for in Feb / Mar (it was cool enough for fog on 21 Feb!  FOG!), whereas the actual race day was pretty muggy.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

RR

Xterra - The Orongorongos, Long Course

Circa 20km with 800m elevation

https://www.strava.com/activities/5145530263

2:37:18
        76th out of 152

A combination of an accident late October where I broke my elbow and did considerable shoulder, causing considerable time off.

Plus life getting in the way, the last six months training has been really poor.

I have a 43km ultra with 2km elevation, so this race at The Orongorongo's is part of the prep.

My previous two weeks training had been semi ok, so this was going to have to do.

This race is part of the Wellington Xterra series, which are five off road races. Each race has a short, medium and long course.  The Orongorongo's with 800m elevation is in fact one of the flatter races in the series! The race is based around the Orongoronogo's track which is part of the Remutaka forest. With race start about 45 minutes drive from my place.

The long course starts 8:50am, I arrived about 8am.

After a ton of pre-race fidgety nerves such as re tieing shoe laces several times I was at the start area in time for the briefing.

Conditions were really good. I was a bit cold, mainly having came out of summer, 8 degrees Celsius felt code.

The only compulsory items were a whistle and emergency bag. I took a full pack, mainly as this is required for my July ultra.

The briefing went through instructions, mainly about not getting lost and letting a marshal know if someone got injured. He gave an example of someone in a bright top with number 739 getting injured, which I then realized was me!

They decided to do a wave start, not Covid related, but due to a narrow part around 200m in. Although the narrow part was so short
        they should have just done everyone at once.

I decided to do the first wave as I wanted to start. By rights I should have gone second wave.

The start-finish area is on flat, long grass areas, slightly smaller than a football field.

We start, 100m on the grass, turn right, turn right onto the road for 100m, and then onto the trail.  The first part of the trail is "flat" according to the map. I then realize it's all relative and the first part has a moderate hill.

First 5km is done, averaging about 6 minutes per km.

We then having the easiest part of the course, which is on road and slightly downhill, this km was 4:49.

Then then hit the big hill which is a 4wd track, around 3.2km long with 370m elevation.   IF I was really fit, I would have attacked this, instead:
        - I accepted beforehand that I would need to walk most of it.
        - I wanted to practice eating and drinking.

In my pack I had:
        - Around 1 litre of water, Camel Pack with the tube to suck out of if.
        - One gel
        - Some lollies
        - A muesli bar

I decided to eat the muesli bar. Well, muesli bars are out, as they're way too dry. I managed to eat 80% of it.  I then ran one to two minutes and was back to walking.

I got to the near the top and stopped and took a few photos. I'm glad I did it then as this was the end of the views.

I hit the 10km mark (my watch) at 1:15, so thought I could do the whole thing in 2:30.

A little more running, I went over a timing mat which a marshal directing us into the bush.

There were lots of timing mats on the course. More than any other race I've done, probably as it will help tracking down
        lost runners. A decade or so ago a woman got lost and ended up spending a night or two in the bush, I'm pretty sure it was this race.

The next 7km is net downhill downhill. However, it's through a rough trail, where avoiding a million tree roots is quite a challenge.

I had one small trip, but all fine. One guy fell in front of me but managed a pretty graceful roll.  I was struggling due to the technical nature, and not being fit enough. So there was a bit of walking here, mainly parts which were really hard to run due to all the tree roots.

From the 12km mark, I was quite tired.

Quite a few people overtake me in the bush, although I don't know who was long v medium course.

At the 15.km mark, another marshal who directs me left. The next 200m is REALLY steep downhill over tree roots, on Strava it looked about 50m elevation down.

We then join onto an easy trail track. I'm running ok, but certainly not fast. There's a few people who I overtake who I think overtook me earlier (could be wrong).

19km gone. Hopefully only 1km to go, as trail races distances can be off due to GPS inaccuracies.

A guy catches up to me and says "two to go". For a second, I think he means 2km, then I realize it's two minutes, but I'm not sure he's right.

A steep short uphill, which I end walking.

And then I can see the finish area which I then slowly run to the finish.

Take homes:
        - I obviously need a lot of training, most just general running, but also trails.
        - Although not in great shape, I am not so far behind where I need to be that July is impossible.
        - No muesli bars!

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Re Food & weight loss: everyone is different, but for me what works is the Piwi diet: cut the alcohol and sugar, and work out often. And don't get older.

Watson - I liked the read ! Why didn't you put up a few of the pictures!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

watsonc123

Mick - if go to the Strava link, pictures are there.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

zebano

Watson, that sounds like an adventure! What a great race. I love the last picture on Strava.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Marky_Mark_17

Watson - nice race report.  Honestly that sounds like an utterly punishing course, well done just for giving it a crack and finishing the thing.  I'm not sure I have any desire to ever do something like that.  Although I dunno, maybe XC season this year will change my mind.

Food and weight loss - I've cut my alcohol intake significantly over the past 2 months and my weight is down 1 kg - probably a few less sugary snacks too.  Haven't changed anything else.  It really does make a big difference.

Long range forecast is up for Saturday week!  Overnight low of 5C.  Partly cloudy with light winds.  Sounding good so far.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

So only 1 bottle of whiskey per day now Mark ?

Food and weight loss - I've cut my alcohol intake significantly over the past 2 months and my weight is down 1 kg 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

food and weight loss I've actually gone about 2 months with out having a drink, I cooked a nice dinner and had some wine tonight so ended that streak. 

Watson Nice Race report, the elevation must have been brutal, I ran a trail half back in 2019 but the elevation was only about 400m and it was tough, kudos to you for getting it done!  I gotta ask what are lollies

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

Marky_Mark_17

I gotta ask what are lollies

I think you call them candy Wink

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - I’m glad I didn’t search “roughage” in the urban dictionary (actually I did )

Watson - thanks for the race report, that sounds very tough especially given your recent mileage.
                        It sounds like a very enjoyable race though.

Mick - that “don’t get older” part is proving quite difficult. Any tips?

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Running Problem

Problem Child

food and weight loss I've actually gone about 2 months with out having a drink, I cooked a nice dinner and had some wine tonight so ended that streak. 

23 months and 2 days using Freedom Eagle units. It gets easier as time goes along or so I'm told. Kudos on the 2 months. Some people can't even make it a weekend.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marky_Mark_17

So only 1 bottle of whiskey per day now Mark ?

Haha, I have a couple of glasses of wine a couple of times a week and that's about it.

In hindsight I was probably drinking a bit much before.  I feel a lot better for it.

23 months and 2 days using Freedom Eagle units. It gets easier as time goes along or so I'm told. Kudos on the 2 months. Some people can't even make it a weekend.

Nice one!   I've definitely found that, now I'm drinking less, I don't feel like drinking as much.  Used to be I would have 3, maybe 4 drinks.  Now I'm happy to have a couple on the occasions I do drink.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Haha, I have a couple of glasses of wine a couple of times a week and that's about it.

In hindsight I was probably drinking a bit much before.  I feel a lot better for it.

I waffle back and forth myself, where I think it's too much and I really cut back, to going back to where I was at. I think as long as you're trying to modify it, you're on the right track. Or at least that's what I tell myself . But when I return to indoor dining 2 weeks after my 2nd shot, I cannot guarantee I will be able to just have 1-2 glasses of wine. I've gone over a year without really going out to dinner, which is one of my favorite things about NYC, and it's not time to be cautious 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

I'm still on 2 beers a day. Does this make me an alcoholic 🤔

I enjoy it...yeah I may be addicted 😬

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "