Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I waffle back and forth myself, where I think it's too much and I really cut back, to going back to where I was at. I think as long as you're trying to modify it, you're on the right track. Or at least that's what I tell myself . But when I return to indoor dining 2 weeks after my 2nd shot, I cannot guarantee I will be able to just have 1-2 glasses of wine. I've gone over a year without really going out to dinner, which is one of my favorite things about NYC, and it's not time to be cautious 

Completely agree - if it's something you think about it's probably a good sign.  I restrict alcohol to Saturday and Sunday only now - after a few bad long run workouts last year I had to eliminate Friday drinks.  I try to keep to less than 5 but occasionally will have a big night.  But I care more about feeling good for each run than getting rinsed these days...

piwi - I think you're fine, surprised you can even feel 2 beers!

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

I waffle back and forth myself, where I think it's too much and I really cut back, to going back to where I was at. I think as long as you're trying to modify it, you're on the right track. Or at least that's what I tell myself . But when I return to indoor dining 2 weeks after my 2nd shot, I cannot guarantee I will be able to just have 1-2 glasses of wine. I've gone over a year without really going out to dinner, which is one of my favorite things about NYC, and it's not time to be cautious 

Honestly if you're just getting back into dining out after an extended lockdown, I don't think there's any guilt whatsoever associated with that!  Just enjoy it.

I think I notice it most when I wake up.  My sleep's generally been pretty good, and I used to wake feeling pretty good (or so I thought).  Since I cut the drinking, I seem to wake up feeling WAY more refreshed.  I knew I was probably drinking too much, I just ignored my wife.  The catalyst was when I saw a nutritionist who said, it's no big deal having a drink or two sometimes, but even a drink or two will impact your ability to hit hard workouts first thing in the morning.  Since cutting back, I've hit some of the best workouts I've managed in quite a long time.  So now if I do drink, it's only if I've got a day off or easy run the next day.

Piwi - don't go hard on yourself.  A couple of beers isn't a big deal!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

It's really sad we're all so far away and in a global pandemic. Would love to have a beer with you guys in person.

Cheers.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

We would love to have a beer with you Jmac. Of course you would be buying them due to your New York income 

I'm having a beer right now Friday night so obviously have to have one....like the other days.

Steve I actually start to get silly on 3 beers, I guess I'm a cheap date .

I'm pacing 20 min parkrun tomorrow. Going to do another sub 20 beforehand so hopefully I don't over do it 😅

Get to use the Next % next week.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JoEmily112

All of the Shell Shockers games are all in one place for your convenience! Includes shell shockers gamesshell shockers crazy gamesegg shockers

zebano

I think I notice it most when I wake up.  My sleep's generally been pretty good, and I used to wake feeling pretty good (or so I thought).  Since I cut the drinking, I seem to wake up feeling WAY more refreshed.  I knew I was probably drinking too much, I just ignored my wife.  The catalyst was when I saw a nutritionist who said, it's no big deal having a drink or two sometimes, but even a drink or two will impact your ability to hit hard workouts first thing in the morning.  Since cutting back, I've hit some of the best workouts I've managed in quite a long time.  So now if I do drink, it's only if I've got a day off or easy run the next day.

This. This is so accurate. I've been cutting back (with only some success) and the days when I have a few drinks I really really notice it in the morning. My general rule is that I only drink if I have someone to drink with, no kicking back and watching basketball and having 3 drinks.

Piwi - you're doing a sub 20 to warm up for a sub 20?? Nice.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

I'm in awe of your ability to consume alcohol. A glass of wine is about as much as I can handle, I don't get much buzz and I feel intoxicated afterwards 

Mark - I'm also jealous of your ability to rest overnight. I've had issues with poor quality of sleep since I was a kid. I generally wake up feeling wrecked, lately been taking about 1h before I go running so I can rest from sleeping. Funny enough after I come back from my running session I'm feeling good and relaxed and brand new.

This is probably a key reason my my recovery is so bad.

Jmac - I remember being in New York and only having 4 days and having a super hard time picking which places to have lunch and dinner out of so many fantastic options available.

me - took the day off today due to DOMS from Wednesday's strength session. 3x 15 split squats hit me heavy.

Back on the horse tomorrow hopefully.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I’m on the same page when it comes to drinking the day before a workout, the few times I do it I regret it massively. I’ve got to say though, days like last Saturday when it’s a long run and cold and wet, is there anything better than a bourbon or 2 next to the fire and watching sport???

2024 Races:

zebano

I’m on the same page when it comes to drinking the day before a workout, the few times I do it I regret it massively. I’ve got to say though, days like last Saturday when it’s a long run and cold and wet, is there anything better than a bourbon or 2 next to the fire and watching sport???

Having the drinks and watching sport from a hot tub?

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

You win

Having the drinks and watching sport from a hot tub?

2024 Races:

Stop it you guys you are making it sound so good 

Flavio no buzz and intoxicated is a contradiction?

Zebano I had a very easy week everything at 8.30 or slower pace so I thought I would do a workout today.

Just got back from pacing the 20 min group at our Parkrun.

Its their 3rd birthday and a long weekend here so quite busy.

I picked up a mate who was pacing 22.30 group and we got there early for a warmup. I did 2kms easy then 5kms at 19.33. I got back just in time for the briefing and they gave us our safety vests with our pace time on the back.

Off we went and I had 3 people with me for 2kms before they faded off. Another guy caught up and by 4kms we had caught up to 2 more guys. With some army type yelling from Piwi I got them all over the line in under 20 mins 

19.49 for me.

Fluro singlet not fitting well 

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - cheers!

Piwi - Great job on the pacing.  Was a nice morning up here.

Flavio - DOMS was the main reason I stopped really hitting the weights hard.  Made running the next day pretty challenging!  But it's a good time for you to do it now, with a breather after a couple of big PR efforts.

Zebano - honestly can't remember the last time I sat down to watch sports other than brief highlights packages.  About the only chance I get to watch a decent block of TV is first thing Saturday morning after my run, I normally use that to watch the latest Marvel episode on Disney+.  Falcon and the Winter Soldier has been awesome viewing.  It's just like an adult version of Saturday morning cartoons haha.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Piwi - is that KT tape on your shoulder? Do you have an anterior deltoid issue from lifting too many beers up to your mouth?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Yes Jmac correct  which reminds me its 4.30pm and beer o'clock 🍺 🍻 🍺 🍻 🍺

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

It's also bourbon o'clock.  Not sport this time, partner is out getting a facial so it's LOUD Kings of Leon time to celebrate the March 2022 tour announcement.  Albeit in Auckland, but flights booked, now I just need to get a ticket next week.  I was strongly considering going to Germany for a festival the day before they announced...so Auckland is a good result.

I wonder if the time zones could ever line up in a way to have a beer over zoom.  Some of us may need to drink at not usual hours.

2024 Races: