Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

zebano

DWave Massive week. Congrats on figuring out the asthma issue, as a fellow Allergy induced asthma (specifically not exercise) I know how much that sucks.

Kombucha can be pretty amazing, the main issue is how much you have to drink to feel the effects... and when you get the formula wrong, it's really bad (pickle and sauerkraut anyone?). DWave, no comment on the frilly drinks but I think your socialization approach is the right one for most of us. Piwi, thanks for taking one for the team (breakfast beer) =)

Piwi - really solid 2x20 min sub 20 tempos. You're in great shape.

Mark - I'm crazy impressed  by how fast you are on "lower" mileage.

James That's a heck of a week. Do you think the groin is up to adding a little more quality or are you going to stick to the progression runs for now?

CFarr  Good week

Flavio tough break with the strength work. =(

Steve - Nice week, I really like the 400s at HM pace on short recovery.

My week was a lot of xtraining totaling about 9 hours with a 30 minute run on Sunday where the heel felt fine. It was going to be shorter but my son wanted me to run with him and he ran his first 5k of the year (he's getting ready for a sprint triathlon)!

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

JamesD

JamesD

James That's a heck of a week. Do you think the groin is up to adding a little more quality or are you going to stick to the progression runs for now?

Well, I tried to add some quality this morning, and we'll see how the groin and the hamstring feel tomorrow.  These days I'm running four-day mini-cycles, with the first day slightly hard, the second easy and very slow 1:39 on the treadmill in my Reebok Symmetros pillow-shoes, the third medium (9ish miles in the park fairly easy), and the fourth off.  On the first days, I've been alternating long runs in the park and progression runs on the treadmill, but I'm going to try tempos of some sort every third first day, which I guess will give me 12-day cycles rather than 8-day ones.

Today I did 1.5 miles at 6:48, around goal HMP, after a 4-mile warmup & some strides.  Hamstring got a little sore, but how it feels tomorrow will be the test.  Didn't notice the groin, but it comes and goes.  Lungs were fine, and if the hamstring & groin don't object, I'd like to gradually move up to 3-mile tempos so I can eventually start training for an October half.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Piwi - Great job on pacing and back-to-back sub 20's.
        Pretty good for a step-back week, too.
        Also, too much meat? Unpossible! That's the primary staple of my diet.

James - Great week.

Flavio - The fact that you could be stopped by the police for that is rather sad to me, regardless of the fact that nothing came of it.
        When do you leave on whatever trip on which you're going to go?

Steve - Solid week.

Kombucha - Never tried it, myself.

Mostly just easy miles last week. I did try (with limited success) at sniping a few strava segments that were close to the hotel I stayed in for DD1's soccer tournament this weekend, but that's surprisingly difficult when they don't show up on my watch to let me know where they start and end.
        Soccer tournaments will also take up my next couple weekends, but I think after that I'm going to start working with a local coach. I've liked what he's said so far in response to some questions, and it's not too expensive at $100/mo for the first two months and dropping by $20 after that. That's at least cheaper than my kiddo's soccer stuff!

Weekly schedules, all the communication I want, and his broad focus (work on shorter distance speed over the summer, HM in early October, then race CIM) is the same as mine. You know, except for the part in which I'd be thrilled with a sub-3 and he'll be going for an OTQ...

Weekly for period: From: 04/19/2021 To 04/25/2021

Date Name Distance
        in mi
        Duration Avg Pace
        per mi
        Elevation Gain
        in ft
        04/19/2021 4 deer (4 strides) & a mirror-smooth pond 11.10 01:31:48 08:16 538
        04/19/2021 Morning Activity 0.00 00:05:12 00:00 0
        04/19/2021 Nothing worth noting 3.25 00:26:40 08:12 121
        04/20/2021 1 coyote 11.11 01:38:10 08:50 538
        04/20/2021 Morning Activity 0.00 00:13:30 00:00 0
        04/20/2021 Slime Diaries - NYC 3.26 00:27:04 08:18 0
        04/21/2021 1 rabbit, 1 deer (1 stride), & 1 owl 11.11 01:32:32 08:20 486
        04/21/2021 Morning Activity 0.00 00:09:29 00:00 0
        04/21/2021 Tensura Diary - Richmond 3.30 00:27:00 08:11 0
        04/22/2021 1 hawk 11.15 01:32:38 08:18 489
        04/22/2021 Presentation over! 3.25 00:26:59 08:18 135
        04/22/2021 Afternoon Activity 0.00 00:09:46 00:00 0
        04/23/2021 7 herons, 3 deer (3 strides), 1 rabbit, & 1 scissor-tailed fly catcher 11.15 01:35:45 08:35 476
        04/23/2021 Morning Activity 0.00 00:10:35 00:00 0
        04/23/2021 Listening in - Innsbruck 3.25 00:26:50 08:15 0
        04/24/2021 15 ducks, 4 deer (4 strides), & 1 possum 7.05 01:00:04 08:31 279
        04/25/2021 2 puddle ducks and a dirt road 4.55 00:34:39 07:37 102

Total distance: 83.55mi

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Keen great mileage once again my fellow carnivore 

Your coach sounds very fast ! That will be great to get his input. I'm still a coach virgin. One day perhaps when I'm rich 

Zebano great job by your boy. Its a great feeling when your kids are into running too.

Steve these 80km plus weeks will be hugely beneficial to you. Autumn sure is up and down temperature wise.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Keen - excellent week, I always get a sense of reassuring normality when your mileage is up over 80 miles!  Hope the coach works out well for you - good to get it in place now with a reasonable amount of time until CIM.

Steve - another solid week.  Weather here has been a bit all over the place and single digit temps in Wanaka might be a bit of a shock for me!  Nothing like those massages to deal with those minor niggles and get the body feeling good.

Zebano - hope that heel is coming right.  Good effort by your son!

WEATHER UPDATE - still looking good.  7C at race start and basically no wind.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Corey - that base building is going well. You probably won’t start with the speed stuff until late June anyway, right?

Darkwave - It’s in the spine erector area around the height of the breast. I use the massage ball around the scapula at times with great success.

But this one is too close to the spine and there are also the ribs in the way so I’m nervous about trying to hit it. I guess it’s a waiting game.

I’m super impressed by your body’s ability to handle training. That must’ve been over 10 hours of running plus all the other ancillary stuff.

Mark - LOL, on that subject I was looking at some strava segments nearby to try and take one down but there are always super fast guys who already took them haha.

Kombucha is on the sour side of things, I personally lack the taste buds on that quadrant I guess. I also can't handle sparkling stuff.

Also just one weather update per day. You have lost your touch 

Piwi - Steaks are never too much, especially when done on the BBQ!

Steve - woah boy, approaching 90km. That coaching thing is working well for you!

Zeb - that must’ve been awesome to run with your kiddo

Keen - We’re going to Pescara this weekend. My wife has been studying Italian online for a couple of years now and we hope to meet her teacher in person.

It’s a small beach town on the Adriatic, about half way to the southern part of Italy.

It will be nice to be out and about after being locked at home for 6 months.

Piwi/Keen - My fellow carnivores unite! We’re opposed to cruelty against plants 

me - Taking it easy and waiting for the full recovery. I've been here before, I know I must be patient for 3 or 4 weeks and I'll be bouncing again. I'm hoping to reach 9 or 10 hours of running per week until the beginning of July. It's a bit rushed, but hopefully I'll be disciplined and listen to the body.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

zebano - Nice week, that's a lot of cross training.  Cool to be able run with your son too.

CK - Geez you put in some mileage.  You need to talk to Mark's mate from last year about stealing segments...although I'm pretty sure that involved a bike.

piwi - Yep, this morning was -2C (28F) which will be fine in a few weeks but was a shock to the system today!  Quite a sudden drop, but it's in my happy zone for running.

Mark - Forecast sounds perfect.  I went to the website but couldn't find the course profile...do they keep it quiet?  Are you going to make a trip of it down south?  Celebrating in Wanaka or Queenstown is almost the best part of running down there.

flavio - I'll join that group, can never get too much meat.  My previous gf was vegetarian and current is chicken only (due to growing up on a dairy farm) so getting my red meat fix can be a struggle.  Sounds like you're planning to be sensible in your recovery.  I'm sure you get as impatient as me but it's worth it.

Had a session with my running coach last night.  My upcoming 3 weeks, including this week, will be my biggest block before a down week then a big 2 week block.  All of my long runs include a workout component or hills so I'm trying out gels for the first time this weekend.  I'll start with 3 throughout the run (he recommends 6 for the race).  It's a long progressive so I'll take one just before each shift in gears.  I'll also grab my dose of Endura electrolyte drink after about an hour.  Interested in hearing other people's strategies for this.  Also, how do you carry them??  I have a small pocket in my running shorts but could only fit one gel.  I can pick them up from my letterbox mid-run but not sure what I'll do on race day - may be asking a lot from my support crew.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Interested in hearing other people's strategies for this.  Also, how do you carry them??  I have a small pocket in my running shorts but could only fit one gel.  I can pick them up from my letterbox mid-run but not sure what I'll do on race day - may be asking a lot from my support crew.

I safety pin the tops of my gels to the outside of my shorts, and then turn them over and tuck inside my shorts.  Here's a picture:

I carry a lot of gels, because I usually take about 9 during a marathon.  (and yes, that's far more than most).

Don't do this for the first time on race day - you need to get used to the feel of this (and also make sure to use body glide or similar on your hips to prevent too much chafing).

On race day, I recommend partially tearing the gels before pinning them - that way they are easier to open while running at pace.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Thanks darkwave - that's genius.  I'm not sure how many I'll take just yet but I'll start slow.  My coach ran a marathon 3 weeks ago and took 6 which he said is standard for him - one every 30 mins.  That seems like a lot!

2024 Races:

darkwave

Mother of Cats

FWIW, I carry 10-12 usually.  Because you may drop one or two, want to offer one to someone who needs one, etc.

I also carry several different flavors, and a mix of caffeine/non-caffeine (caffeine on one hip; non-caffeine on the other).  When you're consuming several in a row, it's easier if you've got a mix of flavors.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

I carried 6 gels in my 2 marathons 3 in each pocket no problems.

Steve/Flavio my wife is vegetarian and my oldest son was but has come back to the dark side 

Flavio I remember you saying to make the most of fitness once you have it as you never know when the next injury is coming ( or did Jmac say that ) anyway you did that with those 2 stunning time trials. I had upper back/neck/shoulder issues about 2 months ago. Physio helped alot. I still get tight and sore during extended runs and have to stretch it out while running.

Yesterday I did a double with a slow 8kms in the afternoon. I challenged myself to keep my heart rate under 120bpm which I did but my pace was 5.47/km or 9.15/mile 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio I remember you saying to make the most of fitness once you have it as you never know when the next injury is coming ( or did Jmac say that ) anyway you did that with those 2 stunning time trials.

Don't know if I said it, but big believer in that.

Steve - I carry 4 gels in one back pocket. It's definitely bulky until you're down to two, but as long as you tie the shorts tight, it's not a problem.

I know DW takes a lot, but my stomach is too sensitive: as you may recall, I battle stitches in literally every race I run, even those where I take zero nutrition. I've found that I can take down 4 of the Maurten gels though as they don't have fructose in them so they are much better for my stomach. I technically take one before the gun too so 5 total in the span of about 2 hours.

Keen - I think you'll do great with a coach. Unless you have zero talent, you should have no problem breaking 3 given the miles you run. You just need the right person guiding you to that success.

Flavio - sorry to hear about the injury. The "I've been here before" feeling is actually great because you know you will recover and run even faster. I actually think people who are injured more are better at taking down time because they've come back from so many. It's the folks who are never injured that get super worried they can never take a 0 week in their year. I also am a big believer in the 3 weeks up, 1 week down model for running when building up, with a solid 0 week somewhere in the year after a big goal race.

Speaking of zero weeks, I've now averaged 20 miles a week over the past 12 weeks. Watch out everyone, PRs coming 

Keen - I have a rust busting 5K coming up on June 6 (for now). My current fitness indicates 17:15 is right, but I know I'll get shamed for that goal, so let's say I improve over the next few weeks and can squeeze out a 16:59.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - it's -200m net elevation, pretty much a steady down the whole way (it runs basically alongside a river so go figure).  We are going down tomorrow, back Monday, so definitely looking forward to a slightly overdue holiday!  Timing is good after a VERY busy month at work too (which, unless something disastrous occurs this afternoon, looks like it's all been sorted just in time!).

Gels- I really like Darkwave's strategy but can see how that would take some getting used to.

For halves, I only take 2, and can get them in even a small shorts pocket without much of a problem.  I take 1 or 2 on long runs as well and can normally manage these fine in pockets (even with the bulky SIS gels) as well as my old school ipod nano.

For my first full, I took 4 or 5 and used pockets plus a belt, which was fine and I didn't even notice after I'd practiced with it a bit.

The second time around, I specifically bought a pair of running shorts with enough pockets to manage 4-5 gels (I don't like it when shorts are too long, but found a Nike pair that had side pockets and a rear zip pocket, while still being a comfortable racing length).  As it was a two-lapper, my family gave me a bottle of Maurten drink at halfway too (in some races technically this would count as outside assistance and wouldn't be permitted, but meh).

For a race, you're definitely better to take more, rather than less.  Better to have extra's and not need them!  I actually dropped a gel during my first marathon and had to stop to pick it up which would probably also bear out that wisdom, although I still had one spare at the end.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Thanks all for your thoughts.  I think I'll be due new shorts by race day so I will choose wisely, and I'll try pinning 3 this weekend.  I had also planned to have a support crew hand me 2-3 bottles with Endura formula during the race, but had thought about whether this will get me in trouble.  Based on previous years I'll be around 40th out of 350 (fingers crossed), and people will be spaced out enough to possibly mean I could find my drink at a drink station quick enough.  More thought required.  I'll also consider a belt, I'm due to go back to Frontrunner Colombo for the Endorphins so I'll have a look then.

Mark - Sounds like it will be a great trip.  With your training load and a course like that, I think you're going to get a very fast time.  One you may not repeat, so enjoy every step!

JMac - Hardly any training and looking at sub 17...ridiculous.

2024 Races:

Keen - I think you'll do great with a coach. Unless you have zero talent, you should have no problem breaking 3 given the miles you run. 

Damn Jmac you just made alot of runners feel terrible 😕 

And to echo Steve sub 17 already you definitely have talent!

Mark should be a fun weekend for you fast course, great weather, go well.

Steve you better run it past Jmac on the outside assistance  he won't even let me count a 4.95k as a 5k