Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - if it helps, these are the shorts I got.  Perfect for a marathon or half in winter NZ temps (at least for me).

It's pretty common for elites to have special drinks at drinks station, the trick is doing something to make yours instantly identifiable so you don't have to slow down much, which is not that hard to do really.

Re Southern Lakes, I honestly have no idea what sort of time I'll run.  It's a fast course but I'm not totally convinced I'm in the same shape I was in late 2019 when I ran Kerikeri and had spent an entire year getting better and better and faster and faster at HMs.  Partly that's because I've only run one HM since then and I was pretty beat up going into that!  I'm just going to enjoy it regardless.  I'm not sure there are many runs out there that will be as fun as boosting down the Crown Range Road.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

4.95K for a 5K is basically triple certified in NZ.

To be clear on Keen - I don't think everyone can break 3. I meant as someone with his body type, his ability to crank out 80+ mile weeks without injury, and his current times. I know you're kidding Piwi but making it clear for others who don't get that 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

4.95K for a 5K is basically triple certified in NZ.

To be clear on Keen - I don't think everyone can break 3. I meant as someone with his body type, his ability to crank out 80+ mile weeks without injury, and his current times. I know you're kidding Piwi but making it clear for others who don't get that 

I totally agree JMac.  It's not possible for everyone but based on current times, ability to sustain mileage, etc. I think Keen should be able to break 3 pretty comfortably with the right prep. 

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I'll third that - I was ready to celebrate a sub 3 for Keen a couple of times pre-Covid when things didn't quite go to plan.  If I recall correctly, you did a 3:03 when slightly undertrained?

Without a ruling from JMac I'm going to assume my race is valid even if someone passes me my drink.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Yes I was kidding. Been able to run 80 mpw is a huge part of talent requirement to be a good marathoner. Personally I break down at that mileage. I think Mark and Flavio do too. Probably alot of us on here.

Steve no problem with me if you have your drink handed to you 😉.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Yes I was kidding. Been able to run 80 mpw is a huge part of talent requirement to be a good marathoner. Personally I break down at that mileage. I think Mark and Flavio do too. Probably alot of us on here.

Steve no problem with me if you have your drink handed to you 😉.

Yeah, I think it was those 2 x 120km weeks in late August that ultimately killed me!

Steve - I reckon you're fine to have a drink handed to you.  Technically it's against "serious racing rules".  At a practical level in NZ, only the whiniest of elites would ever complain about someone having a drink handed to them and only if that person beat them!  Technically that would make both of my marathons illegal too haha.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

Alright.  I haven't really had time to do my usual race week madness with work being fairly busy, and being on holiday from tomorrow will be a further useful distraction.  I didn't really do race week madness on the usual scale when I ran my last real goal race, the full back in October, because frankly I just wanted to get the thing finally done.

So, in lieu of past and current silliness, here is Mark's Possibly Incomplete List of Amusing and Probably Pointless Race-related Superstitions:

1. Never try anything new on race day.  Apparel, shoes, food, nutrition, hydration, anything.
                2. Refer (1)
                3. If the course is a new one, check and print course map at least 2 weeks out and review multiple times to minimise risk of course error (this was added following the one time I made a course error, in Orewa in February 2018, even though it didn't end up costing me anything much)
                4. Review course elevation profile to consider impact of hills.  If course elevation profile not available, build it yourself using a run mapping tool or a Strava search for previous events.
                5. Weather checking officially starts 10 days out when race day enters the long range forecast
                6. Frequency of weather checking increases as time to race day decreases.  This relationship is not necessarily linear.
                7. Check multiple forecast sites to identify consensus view
                8. For a goal race, if start lists are available online, you must spend at least an hour perusing the start list and checking relevant recent times of comparable runners on Athletics NZ results/rankings page
                9. Race gear is ALWAYS laid out the night before (with bib pre-attached to singlet if available the day before)
                10. Consider whether digits of race number can be assembled or combined in some way to form the number 17.  This is Lucky.
                11. Race gear must include at least one blue item (traditionally a blue wristband)  
                  • Correlation between race performance and total number of blue items not clear
                  • Correlation between race performance and whether number of blue items odd/even/prime also not clear
                  • Weak evidence that 2-3 is optimal range (not statistically significant, though)
                12. Don't forget vaseline or bodyglide if risk of chafing
                13. If wearing warm gear over race gear prior to race, it must not have any association with poor races
                14. (13) also applies to any apparel worn for any run on the day before the race.  Socks are an exception to this rule (who the hell keeps track of which socks they wore when?).
                15. Double-knot laces
                16. Check laces to ensure integrity of double-knots multiple times
                17. Don't leave your gels in your bag.  Remember how it went that one time when you left your gels in your bag?!
                18. If it's a relatively cold day, wear cheap gloves that you can throw away
                19. If it's a REALLY cold day, wear good gloves for the entire race
                20. Anticipate you will have a song stuck in your head for at least some of the race, so listen to something decent before the race in attempt to influence internal jukebox
                21. Maximum warm-up is 2km, ideally 1km jogging, then a few short strides
                22. No matter how many bathroom stops you have made pre-race, ensure you have a plan to make a final one 10 minutes before the start without compromising your place on the start line
                23. When you're lining up ready to start, at some point 5 minutes or closer to the start, realise the inherent ridiculousness of all of the above and forget about it and resolve to have fun!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

zebano

Keen is absolutely set up well to crush 3 hours. I wish I could run as many miles as he does.

I started lifting in the gym yesterday and I can already tell today's run will be ... interesting. I did a good job keep the weight low so DOMs isn't bad, but it's there and it's just different than soreness from a hard running workout.

Side note that I don't want to get into publicly, but I don't think strengthrunning is for me. I'm going to move on and try McMillian when my subscription runs out. The root cause is really that I'm trying to find a coach on a budget.

Mark, that's a super amusing list. #3 in particular feels like a personal attack 

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Flavio - We totally need a steak emoji or something, huh?
                    Pescara looks awesome. One of these days I'd really like to tour Europe and see a lot of the old-world architecture, especially in smaller towns/villages.

Mark - Here's hoping that forecast holds out!

JMac - Possible title for my next marathon: "That Time I Discovered I Have Zero Running Talent"

Steve - I ran 3:04 and change a few years ago now. That wasn't the fastest I was capable of at the time, but that race did teach me the importance of setting proper goals.

Coaching - While he is super-fast, I didn't choose him because of that. It'll probably be about a month before actually starting with him as I have so much family stuff taking up time for the next few weeks that I'd rather not start yet. I do think it'll be good to have so long before CIM to work with him to make sure things really work well.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mark - you forgot to include "spot Nathan Jones and give him a Kiwi hello"

One actual serious thing in your list is a warmup. I find my HM warmup needed is almost completely dependent on temps. 1KM would only be enough if it was 60F+. Ideally I run 2-3KM for a half. 1KM warmup is more like a marathon just to get the legs moving.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

zebano

Mark - you forgot to include "spot Nathan Jones and give him a Kiwi hello"

One actual serious thing in your list is a warmup. I find my HM warmup needed is almost completely dependent on temps. 1KM would only be enough if it was 60F+. Ideally I run 2-3KM for a half. 1KM warmup is more like a marathon just to get the legs moving.

I agree that temps matter but my warmup is inversely proportional to the length of a race. A marathon gets almost nothing because maintaining those glycogen stores and easing to the race is just easier but for a mile I may do 30 minutes of warmup because not only do I want to warm up I want to dial in the right pace from the first 50m and it just takes more to get the legs ready to move that fast..

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Mark if technically both your marathons were illegal you will have to run another now .

Your list is thorough. I like to run the course if at all possible on a training run to get intimate with the hills. Like the time I was driving to Rotorua and I jumped out the car and ran up the big hill and met my wife at the top..

Zebano that's me too, on a budget. Still have 2 kids at home and a mortgage and any spare money goes on house maintenance or trips to see my daughter in Christchurch.

This year we have had the house exterior painted, replaced oven and microwave,  and reinsulated the roof.

Carpet is thread bare in places after 21 years 

Anyway 1st world problems he says as he waits to try his $350 super shoes....

Keen we were blown away by the buildings in England 🇬🇧

Just beautiful. You were in London at the same time right albeit on Zwift 

Jmac 2kms for me in a half and zero for a marathon.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi - yeah I remember writing that. Basically you have that window when you are in top shape and it won't last much, plus also injuries getting in the way. Also why I think it's interesting to have races along the way so you can use that fitness somehow.

Jmac - it's good to have you back!

Mark - I do many of those things haha

Zeb - check teamrunrun.com and vdoto2.com

They've got plenty of coaches of all backgrounds, some as cheap as $50 per month.

Re:lifting it takes a bit of time to dial it properly, as it has to feel super easy or else it will impact running.

You may feel fine during it but the DOMS get you later (exhibit A: myself right now )

Keen - I'm certain you will blast through sub 3. You have a lot of talent obviously since you can keep running these big weeks. The coach will set you on a optimal path to peak at race day.

Please add me to the front page.

3 countries marathon Oct 10th. Target sub 3.

Me - here goes nothing. I've signed up for a MARATHON!

I have a bit of fear, since the marathon is 3x0 against me so far.

4h42, 4h49 and 3h43.

There were a couple of failed 50ks in there too.

So yeah, 6th time is the charm Big grin

I might start using a coach...

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark - I think you need to add:

-  Make sure watch is fully charged

-  20 mins before race in a new location (especially remote like Southern Lakes) - connect to satellites

Flavio - This is awesome.  Based on your races/TT's this year, sub 3 is well within your grasp with 4 months of training.  Although I'm doing more mileage than I'm used to, I actually find it easier than HM training (so far) since there's not much high intensity speed work.  Ask me again in a month though.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

zebano

Mark - I think you need to add:

-  Make sure watch is fully charged

-  20 mins before race in a new location (especially remote like Southern Lakes) - connect to satellites

Flavio - This is awesome.  Based on your races/TT's this year, sub 3 is well within your grasp with 4 months of training.  Although I'm doing more mileage than I'm used to, I actually find it easier than HM training (so far) since there's not much high intensity speed work.  Ask me again in a month though.

Steve, My HM PR came on a day when I got to the race only to panic as I realized I left the watch plugged in at home!! so I'm not sure if this needs another bullet point or I should just leave my watch behind more often!

Flavio I'm super excited to see your marathon! All you have to do is avoid throwing out your back for 3+ months and you'll go sub-3 easily!! 

Piwi that's funny, I honestly didn't consider the juxtaposition of skipping the coach and buying some supershoes.... hmm.

Flavio - thanks for the coach suggestions. I'll add them to the list