Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Warm-ups.  I need more than pretty much anyone else cuz I'm stiff and achey until I've been moving.  (and yes, I do about 10-20 minutes of mobility work before each run - I'm even worse if I don't do that).  I'd blame it on age, but nobody else my age seems to have this issue, so I'll blame it on autoimmune stuff.

Marathons: I like to do about 5-6 minutes of jogging finishing with 30 seconds at early race effort.  Has the added benefit of confirming that nothing's annoyingly loose.

Other than marathons, I have a standard warm-up of 3.5-4 miles, which includes a fartlek of 3 minutes at marathon descending to half-marathon effort, followed by a 90 second jog and then 4x30 seconds at 5K effort with 30 second float (90 second jog after last), followed by 4x10 seconds at mile effort with 20 second jog.

I use that warm-up before interval and tempo workouts, and also before any race of 10K or shorter.  For 10 mile and half-marathon races, I'll limit the warm-up to 2.5-3 miles, and stop the fartlek after 2-4 of the 30 second efforts.

I know this sounds like a lot, but I've found that doing less than this does not set me up to run fast - I'm just too stiff.  Occasionally I've had to shorten this warm-up due to time constraints, and the workouts have never gone well - I just can't move my legs fast.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio - you have no excuse setting your goal at anything other than 2:59 with your recent half. That's the curse of good recent races: it sets up scary new targets at other distances.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JamesD

JamesD

Mark - Surprised your warmup jogs are as short as 1KM for anything less than a full.  It may be age or injury-related tightness, but it's taking me longer and longer to get up to normal pace, at least on easy runs, and I assume that'll be the case at races too.  On today's 9+-mile run, each 1.5-mile loop was faster than the previous one, even at the same effort level.  The last loop was almost 30 sec/mile faster than the first one, though neither were particularly fast.  I assume I'm going to need a really long warmup when I get back to racing.  Not sure how I'll handle it when I run a half, because I don't want to run too long before the race, but if I start too slowly, I'll be too far behind the people running at the pace I want.  Maybe a couple more strides would help.

Also surprised you take 2 gels during halfs, especially considering how little time yours take.  I've often seen people say they don't need nutrition for races of 90 minutes or less, and I've only occasionally taken a few swallows of sports drink during halfs, though I always have a caffeinated gel just before the start.  Of course I've only done one half since I started using your waterless SIS gels, so  maybe I should try one on a long run and see if it would help in a race.

P.S.  I can probably tell you which socks I wore on which runs, but that's because I only have a few pair, which I match with my shoes, and I'm pretty consistent about using the same shoes for the same kinds of runs.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Zebano I may have to Google juxtaposition 

Flavio excellent as mentioned a 1.22 half  comfortably translates to sub 3 but you and I know that you need a cycle around 100 kms per week to make it work.

I was running the same half times in 2013 and just snuck in with a 2.59.

Question for the group. With my 10k time trial on Sunday how far over 10kms should I go to make it legit ?

Was it 10m or 100m?

I can't remember what certified courses build in.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Piwi - I went back and looked at my 5K TTs, where you run almost perfectly certified course due to lack of people. One of them came to 5.01, one was 5.02. I think if you run 10.03, you're good.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Please add me to the front page.

3 countries marathon Oct 10th. Target sub 3.

Me - here goes nothing. I've signed up for a MARATHON!

I have a bit of fear, since the marathon is 3x0 against me so far.

4h42, 4h49 and 3h43.

There were a couple of failed 50ks in there too.

So yeah, 6th time is the charm Big grin

I might start using a coach...

That marathon looks amazing!  Don’t be put off by your previous efforts as you’ve come a long way since then. 👍

Steve - I wore these shorts for my PR marathon as I was determined to carry all 6 of my maurten gels!  Very comfortable - there is an inside lining with pockets which made it really easy to access 4 gels on the run, plus 2 back gel pockets and a back zip pocket if you want to carry a phone or whatever.

https://www.startfitness.co.uk/ronhill-infinity-marathon-twin-mens-running-shorts-blue.html?msclkid=899a0105a5b315292d7f618c1c8d4baf&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=@%20MARK%20-%20%235%202nd%20Bottom%20CL&utm_term=4583176796017676&utm_content=Ad%20group%20%235%202nd%20Bottom%20CL

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Question for the group. With my 10k time trial on Sunday how far over 10kms should I go to make it legit ?

Was it 10m or 100m?

From my experience if it’s an out and back route in a straight line then there won’t be much added on...eg, my local 10k which I’ve run twice came to 6:23/6:24. If it’s looped then I’m guessing you would need to add on a bit more.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JamesD

JamesD

Was it 10m or 100m?

I've read that certified courses build in a fudge factor of 0.1%, or 10 meters per 10K.  That's over the measurement of a Jones Counter (bicycle wheel device), though.  If you're measuring the course using a GPS, you may need to allow a little more, but that depends on the course and probably which watch you use.

Good luck on the TT!

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mikkey - Those shorts look perfect for what I want.  I've found them on an NZ site for NZ$76 which isn't too bad.  I'll only wear them for long runs and races so should last a while, thanks.  Edit: Ouch, $30 delivery, I guess it's not really an NZ site!

Piwi - I think 10.03km is fine.  My half time trial ended up being 21.17km which included a 50 metre buffer I think.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Great thanks guys i will take it to 10.03 kms before I cardiac arrest ❤  🚑 😄 makes sense as another 100m is over 20 secs running at 10k pace.

Can you add me to the front page please Steve may 15th We Run The Night half marathon at Mount Maunganui

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Mark - I think you need to add:

-  Make sure watch is fully charged

-  20 mins before race in a new location (especially remote like Southern Lakes) - connect to satellites

YES and YES.

Also, to JMac’s point, there is a chance of a Nathan Jones sighting.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Steve - When I ran the Buenos Aires Marathon, after about 1km I've noticed that the GPS was wonky so I walked some 200m so that it would pick up the signal LOL

Zeb - at my advanced age it’s going to be an obstacle course to race day no doubt

One thing I’ve learned with online coaching is that you need to be very clear from the start on what kind of responsiveness you’re expecting and be very blunt if they forget to update your schedule.

Jmac - yeah I’ve been teasing you guys for years now stating super aggressive targets for your races, now I’m on the driving seat haha.

To be honest, if I don't feel confident in a sub 3 I'll use it as a long run and drop out around 30k. Not worth the long recovery IMHO.

Piwi - Spot on, at least average 100km per week and ideally reaching 110 to 120 per week.

You have my seal of approval to stop running when it beeps 10k.

Mikkey - It seems to be a very scenic route, there's a 3h video of the race on youtube showing the full course. Mostly flat apart from some high passes.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

I've been looking again for an online coach for about 10 days now.

It seems I'm too picky as it's a bit hard to find somebody.

I've worked with Luke Humphrey for my half early last year and he was amazing but it seems he no longer coaches.

I've checked McMillan and it seems it will be one of the McMillan certified coaches. I don't feel comfortable with that amount of uncertainty.

I've also worked briefly with a VdotO2 coach, cool guy PHD in physiotherapy and provided fantastic strength training routines (7 minutes each), but he would often forget to update my schedule.

David Roche is well spoken lately but he's got no slots in his roster.

Coaches on the US west coast are also out of reach as the timezone difference is too great (9h).

Then we found another coach, great guy, but over time he would also forget to update the schedule.

I'm very low maintenance, I don't need to be cheered around the way or to have calls or constant communication, in fact I might add a comment or 2 per month.

I mostly need a cerebral type of person with great knowledge of running (ideally a degree in exercise science) to lay out the most optimal path to race day so that I avoid injuries and peak at the right time. Also adjust that plan along the way depending on how I perform.

That alone is not an easy job.

The search continues...

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JamesD

JamesD

Flavio - You might want to look at rundoyen.com.  I've never used a coach, but I did look at them last week out of curiosity after a LetsRun thread.  Their site starts with a questionnaire that, among other things, asks whether you want a more analytical coach or a more inspirational/motivational one.  Their roster seems to lean towards former pro or nationally competitive runners, but another of their questions is whether or not it's important to you to have a coach with competitive experience, so they may have more experienced ones as well.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

How'd that get there?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races: