Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Shoutouts:

Marky_Mark  congrats on a great race and a win.  Those are always to be celebrated.  I know what you mean about wondering if you'll ever get back to where you were.  It's a great feeling when you do.

And I love all the run titles - especially the last one.

James - your dog is adorable.  Does he/she have some Bichon Frise in him/her?  Nice week - I would not be surprised at all to have heavy legs for a few days after the reintroduction of faster running.  Especially as one gets older, I can see that stiffness lingering for a few days.

Piwi- congrats on the time trial - outstanding.  That is extremely impressive.

Steve- good week with a great long run.  Was the lost gel one of those that you pinned?

Watson- great week for you.  That is some serious elevation gain on Sunday.

Flavio - good week and congrats on the new coach.  I'm looking forward to following your training.

My week:  58 miles running, 1000 yards swimming. 3 hours pool-running.

M: 50 minutes pool-running and yoga.
    T: 9.5 miles very easy (9:05) with drills and 4 hill strides, upper body weights/core, and then 3 miles very easy on treadmill (9:33).
    W: 12.5 miles, including 2x2 miles in 13:06 (6:36/6:30) and 13:07 (6:37/6:30) with half mile in 4:32 in between. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
    Th: 3.5 miles very easy on treadmill (9:47), 50 minutes pool-running, and upperbody weights/core.
    F: 9.5 miles very easy (9:01) with drills, 2 hill strides, 2 flat strides, upper body weights/core, and then 3 miles very easy (8:49).
    Sa: 17 miles, including a workout of 2x5 miles at marathon pace - 5 mile segments averaged 7:05 and 6:57 pace; floating mile in 8:08 in between. Followed with injury prevention work, 500 yards recovery swimming and 20 minutes pool-running.
    Su: 60 minutes pool-running and streaming yoga.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Watson great to see you back logging bigger kms. I see your strava maps around Upper Hutt and reminds me of x country at Upper Hutt College. I would have been running over the river and in that area in 1981.

Darkwave thanks and great week again.

Jmac thank you and yes I've been the most consistent this year and towards the end of last year and results showing.

The strange thing as I approached the last km in my time trial is that I realized I would even be able to put in a kick for home which normally im total fried at the end of a 10k. When I did kick i checked my watch after a couple hundred meters and saw 3.25 pace . I slowed a little but that last km was about 3.32.

Flavio yes I'm confident in starting at 3.55s now. Its pancake flat course with 7 turnarounds.

The PB vs PR thing has been discussed a bit on running forums over the years. Americans tend to use PR while the rest of the world PB. Note they use PB at the Olympics etc when runners set a best time.

Thanks for the comments about my 10k.

I can't help but feel uneasy about how much the Next % helped me. I almost feel like I need to repeat it in a pair of traditional flats to compare. I know the world has moved on with shoe tech but the jump is significant.

There's no going back unless they change the parameters on the shoe tech.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - heh oops! I’m pretty sure the Endura gels need water anyway. It’s a while since I used them.

Watson - congrats on the big week, definitely something to celebrate after your injury downtime. Nice elevation on the Sunday run, I assume that’s practice for the next Xterra?

Piwi - stop overthinking it! Enjoy the fact you ran a damn good TT. Yes the shoes helped a little but probably not nearly as much as the excellent training you’ve logged over the last few months as JMac  pointed out. The shoes are here to stay so it’s not really worth thinking about what time you might have run without them anyway.  It’s just like when carbon fibre bikes were introduced haha.

Flavio - nice recovery week and sounds like you have some great scenery to enjoy at the moment too. Seeing you nailing some big PB’s (PR’s? ) over the last little while - in TT’s, as well - has been awesome after that tough stretch you had.

Darkwave / JMac - thanks for lightening the mood again!

Darkwave - good week and very nice long run with quality.  I know I used to do those last year but I really struggle with them now!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve- good week with a great long run.  Was the lost gel one of those that you pinned?

Yes, but I found afterwards that the pin was still in my shorts so it must have torn away.  The other pinned gel was fine though so I must have pinned too close to the top.  Nice week, that's a huge workout at MP.

Mark - Maybe that's just a cautious approach by Endura?  I'd also rather take them without needing water close at hand.  I'm in Auckland this weekend, probably only free on Monday morning although I suspect I won't be up early enough for you!  I'm going to try to run at Mission Bay but I doubt it will be before 7 (possibly a big weekend with a mate of mine so I may need the sleep).

I actually think if using PB and PR literally, there is a potential nuanced discussion - the race with your personal record may not necessarily be your best race.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Mark - Maybe that's just a cautious approach by Endura?  I'd also rather take them without needing water close at hand.  I'm in Auckland this weekend, probably only free on Monday morning although I suspect I won't be up early enough for you!  I'm going to try to run at Mission Bay but I doubt it will be before 7 (possibly a big weekend with a mate of mine so I may need the sleep).

I actually think if using PB and PR literally, there is a potential nuanced discussion - the race with your personal record may not necessarily be your best race.

Could be.  I never tried those without water.  I did take another gel without water once in a race (they hadn't filled the cups by the time I got the aid station) and suffered a little bit for it (not badly, though).

Would be good to catch up for a cruise next Monday if you are around, I'm sure we can figure something.

I think we did have a good discussion on here about 'PB' vs 'best race' a while ago.  I like the idea of flagging 'best performance' even if not necessarily a PB.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JamesD

JamesD

James - your dog is adorable.  Does he/she have some Bichon Frise in him/her?  Nice week - I would not be surprised at all to have heavy legs for a few days after the reintroduction of faster running.  Especially as one gets older, I can see that stiffness lingering for a few days.

He doesn't have any Bichon Frise, but lots of people think he might.  According to the doggie DNA test, he's mostly Maltese, part poodle.

The heavy legs have hit me the last couple of days, but I'm not sure whether it's the result of the short tempo or of Friday's faster-than-before long run.  An off day tomorrow should help.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Marky_Mark_17

Southern Lakes Half Marathon, 1 May 2021

I’ve wanted to do this race for a long time. Wanaka is my favourite place in New Zealand, possibly the world, and the race runs down the Crown Range Road, one of the most legendary roads in the country (actually the highest main road in NZ) from just below Cardrona village, finishing by the lake in Wanaka. I would’ve done it last year, but for a Covid-enforced cancellation.

The aspirational goal was sub-1:10. It’s a fast course (almost totally downhill with a net elevation drop of 200m steadily spread throughout the course). Whether or not this counts as a PB, who cares. The goal was sub-1:10 because it’s a faster course than Kerikeri (my current PB – 1:10:46), that just seemed like a logical target and I wanted to have a crack.

I don’t know if I actually believed I could do it, but it was worth a go. Since the marathon overtraining saga last year, I had this sinking feeling I might never get back to the form I had in late 2019 / early 2020. I’d definitely trained well over the last four months, with only one sickness-enforced low week, but I honestly just didn’t know where I was at, having not raced a half in any real form since Kerikeri in late 2019.

Anyway, if nothing else it was a good reason for a family holiday in Wanaka. I slept well before the race and woke up to a cold, clear morning – the windscreen was iced up on the car!  That happens maybe a couple of times a year at home in Auckland but it's pretty common down here.  The usual cereal and yogurt for breakfast, and then I drove up to the start line with my wife and 4 year old daughter rather than catching the athlete bus.

This was a great call as it was only just above freezing so I got to hang out in the car and stay warm for a bit longer before attempting a warm-up around a very frosty paddock (warming up on the road wasn’t allowed based on the event’s traffic management plan). Not the best warm-up of all time – Vaporflies are not well suited to frosty, uneven paddocks, it turns out (it felt like I tweaked something behind my knee at one point!). There’s a skifield about 20 minutes from the start line (Cardrona, where I learned to snowboard), so we’re not exactly in suburbia here.

It’s a particularly Kiwi race, and in the race briefing, the race director said “we’ve cut a hole in the fence down there, and the traffic management only allows us to close the road for 5 minutes, so we’re all gonna go down there, through the hole in the fence, and wait on the verge until I tell you to get on the road”. The half marathon is limited to 250 entrants and sells out months in advance – even the waitlist was full by September or something (ditto the 10km).

He also says they re-measured the course earlier this week and they’ve moved the start line slightly. There are fluoro km markers all the way down the road, helpfully. I think of JMac.

I have a brief chat to Peter Kenny from Owairaka who looks like the only other Aucklander here, and then meet Nic Bathgate on the start line who I have chatted to on Strava quite a bit. He had a tough day at Christchurch Marathon and is lining this one up as a bit of redemption – I definitely feel for him in a “the marathon always wins” kind of way. There’s also a few other decent runners from Dunedin clubs, particularly Caversham but no big names, always a lottery in a small race.

Q1: “Just happy to be here” (3:15, 3:19, 3:19, 3:21, 3:22)

There isn’t much time for start line chat, the hooter goes and we’re off. Nic sits on my shoulder for a little while but drops off after around 500m or so – he knows my plan was to go out at 3:20/km and just try and hold it. At this point I realise that I’m going to be solo probably the whole way unless I’ve massively overestimated my ability (entirely possible).

I’m immediately glad I brought both my sunglasses (in Takapuna Harriers colours!) and a pair of cheap gloves. It’s a beautiful, sunny morning, but still pretty cold – 6C / 43F at best. Honestly, you couldn’t have a better day for it. There were plenty of times over the first 5km – and the whole race, actually – that I just felt glad to be out there racing in such awesome scenery. Mountains either side, a tree-lined river valley down the middle full of autumn colour, blue skies above. It’s sure isn’t the biggest race; it is one of the most memorable.
                Anyway the first km was a bit hot as usual and then I settle into a good rhythm right on pace. I have no idea if I can hold it for 21km but I’m feeling good so far.

Since the road is open to traffic you’re basically running on the shoulder the whole time, this was mostly fine as it was quite wide but there were one or two slightly uneven spots where you had to be a little careful. The cars were very considerate, and it helped that the pilot vehicle was just up ahead of me too with big flashing lights.

We’ve driven this road plenty of times, either when driving from Queenstown to Wanaka, or on the way back to Wanaka after a day skiing / snowboarding at Cardrona. But it’s funny how running it gives you kind of a different perspective on it, more time to take it all in.

Q2: “Maybe that wasn’t quite such a crazy goal after all?“ (3:19, 3:19, 3:21, 3:20, 3:20)

I skipped the first aid station at 5k, but took a gel at 8km. There’s a few small rollers but I seem to have locked into a really solid groove, right on target. I haven’t been able to hear anyone behind me for quite a long time and I sure ain’t looking back. My hands warmed up so I ditched the gloves around the 7km mark on the roadside. I felt bad because I kinda wanted to ditch them at the aid station but realised that trying to hold 2 gloves and open a gel was only going to end one way – with me dropping the gel.

The first dark patch was around 7km when I realised I was only a third of the way there. I mean, I’m feeling good, but I’m not even halfway yet and this is WAY faster than I ran that 15km race a few weeks back (admittedly in much warmer conditions on a much slower course). So I started counting down to the halfway mark. I probably didn’t need to – my HR and everything else was fine. At that point my wife and daughter drive past and give me a big cheer, before stopping slightly up the road to take some pictures of me.

Q3: “Rolling” (3:18, 3:18, 3:18, 3:21, 3:18)

At the halfway mark I think I had 34:53 on the watch. Anything is possible. Is it?

The first highlight here was getting a big cheer from the 10km runners in a paddock awaiting their start. There had been a few spectators parked on the road who were all generous with applause but there were probably 100+ people here. That felt really good.

I haven’t talked about the scenery in a while, but honestly there were countless times during this race where I looked around and the sheer beauty took my mind off any suffering for a while.

My wife drives past again around 12-13km mark. There’s no traffic behind her so she’s just kinda rolling alongside with her window down, my daughter was giving me a big cheer but I can’t remember what my wife was saying. She was shouting something – I remember thinking that she had no idea what she was on about and I half wished she’d just shut up but actually I was having another slightly dark patch and was grateful for the distraction.

Anyway they stopped just up the road for Miss 4 to give me a high five which was also cool.

Q4: “Shadows in the trees” (3:22, 3:20, 3:21, 3:26, 3:18)

There’s 6km to go (I think), and I remember figuring I needed to hit about 3:15/km pace, which is starting to seem a bit hard. But there’s a bit of a disconnect between the km markers and my watch, so there’s every chance the GPS got screwed up with tree cover or being close to cliffs or whatever. And either way, it’s looking like PB territory, if a downhill like this course counts for PB’s.

I take my second gel around the 15km mark, then grab a final cup of water at the last aid station, take a few sips and dump the rest on my head, and now it’s the final stretch towards Wanaka. Definitely starting to feel pretty tired now, the slight camber on the shoulder has led me to kick my left ankle slightly a few times.

This is where things got a little weird. This part of the road is lined, in places, with tall pine trees casting some long shadows across the road. A few times, I swear I can see people up ahead of me moving in the shadows, only for it to turn out to just be roadside markers or signs that for some reason I’d convinced myself were moving.

Then I saw two actual people so maybe I wasn’t going crazy.

Then I thought I saw some more things moving but they turned out to be road markers again so maybe I was going crazy.

Then the song I’d been listening to all week, Nine Inch Nails’ “Ahead of Ourselves” popped into my head so I just focused on that, which I’m not sure was totally helpful because it has a slightly eerie vibe to it (great beat, though).

Then I was out of the pine trees and thank god for that.

Anyway there was a small rise around 18km and I remember thinking that one was the last one before heading into Wanaka itself, which is just as well as I’m into the redline zone now. Km 19 was a bit slower and I remember thinking that was my chance at sub-1:10 done and dusted but I’ve come this far so I may as well just keeping working as hard as I can.

And then there’s that other short, sharp hill I’d forgotten about. Dammit! Except the thing about that particular short sharp hill is that at the top, you turn a corner and…

… there it is.

Lake Wanaka, looking absolutely picture-perfect. Glassy calm, and glinting in the sunlight with snow-capped mountains rising behind it, flanked by a few tiny wisps of low cloud. The wide green expanse of Pembroke Park – and the finish line – just in front of it, the village just off to the right.

As tired as I am at this point, it’s nothing short of breath-taking. I could run a hundred more races and never see anything that incredible again. It does not get any better than that.

And I realise, there’s a mile to go, a big downhill ahead of me, and I don’t intend to die wondering.

Overtime: 3:07

I absolutely nailed it down that hill. There’s a footpath now, but I stuck to the roadside because frankly I was sh!t-scared of tripping on a kerb or something. There’s 3 or 4 side roads off the main road here, and I’m just hoping like anything there’s no cars coming. I mean, there’s marshalls there and (cute small Kiwi race-style) they even put a notice in the paper saying “please try to not use these roads on Saturday morning”, but I have absolutely no idea how I’m going to stop if I have to.

My quads are burning but the steep bit levels off quite quickly and so I just focus on trying to keep the momentum going. There’s 3 or 4 side streets. I remember a Strava mate and former Auckland-based runner who now lives down here saying he was marshalling one of them, but I was riding the fine line so close to being out of control that I had no chance of spotting him (I did thankfully get to chat to him after the race!), I was just trying not to trip over.

After the last side road, it’s on to the footpath towards the lakefront, with Pembroke Park on the right hand side.  The pilot vehicle stops, and I realise I have no idea where to go. There’s a knee-high fence on the side of the park and I’m looking for a gap to go through and thankfully at that exact second the marshall gets out of the pilot vehicle and points where I’m going. Hard right and into the final straight in the park.

I kid you not, at the exact moment I could see the finish line, I had 1:09:00 exactly on my watch. So I’ve got a minute to get from here, to there. I have no idea how far it was, but it looked doable (even on grass). I’ve been doing all sorts of maths, with varying degrees of accuracy, in my head for the last half hour, but it’s basically now just “get over there in under a minute”.

I’m glad coach had me doing 100’s and 200’s the other week because I just went full-on sprint at that point. My quads were not happy about it, but I can totally do that in under a minute.

And I did.

Bam. 1:09:something.

Holy crap. I did it. Holy crap?! I ran under 1:10? And I won!

Nic is in second, also a great time and PB which he will be stoked with. A local reporter was trying to interview me while I was still coughing post-race (this always seems to happen to me after races on cold days, I swear it’s not Covid) and I don’t think I made any sort of sense.

Then I remember I promised my daughter that if I ran faster than my PB, I would go in the lake with her, which is freezing. Do 4 year olds not feel pain?! Not when it involves jumping in an icy cold (but very beautiful) lake, it seems. I was only brave enough to go up to knee height.

I also realise that one of my white socks has a distinctly reddish tinge to it from where I’ve kicked my own ankle once or twice, but hadn’t even noticed.

And yes I had 21km flat on the watch and it’s a downhill course, but some guy who knows way more than me about GPS reckoned he had it at 21.15km. But none of that even seems to matter that much, there can be endless debates about whether the course is legit or you can call it a PR, but at the end of day…

… that was an amazing run, in a beautiful place, and I’m running as well as I ever have.

That’s it. That’s all that matters.

And finally, another small Kiwi race gem from prizegiving:

“We’ll put the provisional results up this afternoon, but they won’t be official until I’ve checked them and that won’t be until tomorrow after the kids’ soccer”

Also, there were trophies for this race, but the best trophy was actually reserved for the fastest 60+ runner – in memoriam of Ed Stevens who founded this race and managed it every year until passing away prior to last year’s (Covid-cancelled) event – he even used to hand-make trophies.

Official time: 1:09:41, 1st place

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Fine race report Mark you absolutely bossed that race and even had the pilot vehicle 👍

Congratulations on a superb race.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Very enjoyable race report Mark.  I'm tempted to give this race a go but it sounds like I'd need to enter soon!  Definitely potential for some rough weather but if there was a snowy southerly it would at least be a tailwind...imagine the debate about PBs if there was a strong tailwind on a downhill course.  6C is pretty warm for start time I think?  Or warmer than it could be.  9am start is good too - my partner's parents live in Queenstown so I'd drive from there if I did it, assuming I can get my race pack somehow.

After getting my Endorphins yesterday I'm now itching to use them...I've hidden them out of sight for now.

2024 Races:

Steve when are you going to try them ? I'm only going to use the next % for races due to cost and limited durability. It will be interesting to see how far I can take them after retiring them from racing and using them for workouts.

I think in the serious world of running record eligible courses must start and finish within a certain distance or have a certain elevation loss max to be considered.

Obviously Boston is a famous course not eligible for records.

I've always wondered if anybody was lucky enough to start a race with a big tailwind, turn around at halfway and have the wind switch too 🤔

You would need to go out and buy a lotto ticket immediately if that happened 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve when are you going to try them ? I'm only going to use the next % for races due to cost and limited durability. It will be interesting to see how far I can take them after retiring them from racing and using them for workouts.

I think in the serious world of running record eligible courses must start and finish within a certain distance or have a certain elevation loss max to be considered.

Obviously Boston is a famous course not eligible for records.

I've always wondered if anybody was lucky enough to start a race with a big tailwind, turn around at halfway and have the wind switch too 🤔

You would need to go out and buy a lotto ticket immediately if that happened 

I'm going to talk to my coach about which workout he thinks I should try them on - in the shop they said try them in one workout and if I get sore calves then I might need to use them a couple more times before the race to get used to them.  How did your calves pull up after the TT?

2024 Races:

Steve my calves are fine. I do have some small amount of soreness in my right hammy and a sore ankle yesterday which made me limp a bit but its gone now.

watsonc123

Mark - nice RR and win.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Marky_Mark_17

I’ve always found the Vaporflies put less load on my calves and more on the quads versus a traditional racing flat. Not sure if that’s also true of the Endorphin as well.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Yeah I'm sure there's some stresses that are different to my usual shoes.

Mark I also get the cough after very hard workouts. I guess it's just the amount of air we are sucking in causes an annoyance.

Only Kiwis posting thank goodness we have world domination once again 😆