Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

watsonc123

We should organise a downhill half marathon that ends up slightly short, at say 17.4km and we can crown Mark world record holder

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

17.4 kms close enough for me 😆

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

DW - I was fully expecting an essay on PB x PR haha, well done!

Mark - thanks for the race report, that was fun, and I've learned what a paddock is .

I'm a bit disappointed though there was no mention of Nathan Jones 🤔

Winning the race was super awesome, especially now that you are officially an old man 😁

Jmac - in New Zealand they measure 1 meter for each feet in distance. Just a different culture I guess 😂 I guess we should just be incredulous of any measurements done by them.

How's life as a dad?

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

James Cute dog, you really seem to be back on track managing the old injuries well.

Piwi Great Job on the TT!! That's awesome you knocked that out on your Birthday too (Happy Birthday by the way) Definitely a lot of hard work and training went into it. I wish I was able to move that fast and I'm 2 years younger. I might have to get a pair of those shoes, when I decide I'm going to jump back into a race longer that a mile.  nice week over all as well

Steve Nice job on your week and your Long WO, its obvious you are getting in great shape and on the right path. Glad the Gel method worked out for you even though you lost one but hey you found it.  I have never used Gels in training or a race.  I've decided for my next HM or FM I will.

Watson Nice week and on the YTD weekly distance best

Flavio Nice week seems like you are managing your aches and pains hope you are fully recovered soon.  Pescara sounds like a great place to run

Mark  I see your RR posted but don't have time to take a read right now. congrats on a great race and the Win

for me I got another 25 + miles in keeping within my 25-30 mpw target ,despite receiving my 2nd cover shot Friday.

Saturday's run was not fun and I cut it short, Sunday however I felt good and went a bit farther than planned .

Weekly for period: From: 04/26/2021 To 05/02/2021

Date Name Distance
          in mi
          Duration Avg Pace
          per mi
          Elevation Gain
          in ft
          04/27/2021 Apt>MBRT>DP and Back 5.21 00:49:40 09:32 72
          04/29/2021 Afternoon Run 5.25 00:48:16 09:12 72
          05/01/2021 First run post Covid Vaccine # 2 on Friday night 6.21 01:25:07 13:42 171
          05/02/2021 Morning Run 12.05 01:49:02 09:03 492

Total distance: 28.72mi

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

JamesD

JamesD

I've always wondered if anybody was lucky enough to start a race with a big tailwind, turn around at halfway and have the wind switch too 🤔

You would need to go out and buy a lotto ticket immediately if that happened 

I can imagine a similar scenario that doesn't require a perfectly-timed wind direction reversal.  If you start a race going out on a long straight road and near halfway turn onto a winding tree-lined bike path to come back, a tailwind would help you going out, and you wouldn't face much of the headwind coming back.  The race would start on the road because that's when people are bunched up more closely, and coming back on the bike path would reduce the traffic disruption.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

zebano

Woah! I went camping and off the grid for 3 days and this thread exploded. I'll try to condense my replies to 1 per page that I missed but no promises!!

Since you mentioned scouring the internet, this study (which I read about on Podium Runner) might be of interest.

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/55/9/486

It seems to say that for people with one kind of Achilles tendinopathy, heel lifts seemed to be as effective as the Alfredson exercises.  I wonder whether switching to shoes with higher drops would have the same helpful effect as inserting heel lifts; when I've had Achilles or calf trouble, higher-drop shoes have usually helped (though they seem to put a little more stress on my knees).

James, thanks for the link. As a general rule, I'm opposed to heel lifts because they don't address the underlying problem and thus you're stuck with them for the rest of your life. That being said, if they let me run immediately I could see using them as a temporary crutch. The interesting thing to me is that after watching a few videos on youtube (i.e. I'm just educated enough to make a really stupid mistake whilst having no idea I'm making it)  P.F. is generally caused by issues higher up in the chain (achilles, calf, hamstring, hips, back). This at least addresses 2 areas that have been problematic for me (achilles and gastro portion of the calf). Unfortunately I've also had issues with my hamstring and my back on that side.... sigh. I started doing Nordic Curls last week for the hamstring, and I'm not sure what to do about the low back. It's probably time for me to abandon the Chiro who does dry needling for me and go see a proper PT and maybe get a gait analysis.

Mark, That's blazing fast, and congratulations on the WIN!!

Flavio  Congrats on registering for the marathon!!

Piwi haha your mates are getting you good if they've convinced you Neext% records don't count. Hell of a time trial! Sub 38 is great, even if you cheated Wink Seriously though your ability to push in a time trial situation is amazing.

JMac - intermittent heel trouble sounds about right. I have avoided a strasburg sock so far but it's certainly on my list of things to try. I've worn P.F. compression socks (compression socks without the toe part) which don't seem to do much. I've done a lot of eccentric heel drops. I've started lifting (ouch,, DOMs)) mostly squats, deadlifts and 1 leg varieties and I've rested it for a week, 4 days and 3 days at various points. I also just threw out my 3 pairs of shoes that had over 500 miles (one was at 850) but I haven't replaced them yet and I really need something cushy for easy days.

James - Solid week, I meant to mention I really like your 4/8 day cycle idea. I've been toying with going to 9 when I'm healthy (Workout or long run + 2 easy days) but I like going to my club run every thursday. The tempo with only soreness sounds like progress to me! Cute doggo!

Steve - Great progression!! I love it.

I gotta take a kid to the doctors. I'll catch up more latter.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Piwi - You forgot I'm forum leader this year?? Clearly I need to step up my dictator-ness in order to leave more of an impression.
                As a side note, I only hope I can run that fast as a "younger" guy, let alone when I get old like you! Also, the shoes might have helped some, but you had to actually do the work - both in the TT and in training before.

Mark - Awesome win!! Looking forward to the reading through the RR.

Flavio - I guess I didn't realize you and I are about the same height, either.

Steve - Nice job on the weekly mileage high, and it's great you did it without feeling a lot of fatigue, too.
                Which Endorphins did you get? I could definitely feel them(Speeds, specifically) in my calves the first few times I used them, but I was coming to them straight from Altras which is quite a difference. That went away before too long, and I never noticed that problem wearing the Pros. Though I did create and rub through a blister in the Pros during my last HM and had blood on the heel tab/Achilles notch from them. Fortunately, I didn't notice that during the race, and haven't had that problem since (but also haven't worn them for as long, either).

Mikkey - Let's definitely try not turning this into the sub-3 thread, please.

DWave - Nice week.

Zebano - Kiddo ok?

More easy mileage from me. My oldest had an out-of-state soccer tournament this past weekend, so while DW took her to that I had the younger girls and took my middle daughter to her soccer game on the other side of town. Getting in miles over the weekend (forced onto the treadmill) was certainly tougher solo than when my wife is also here in the mornings.
                I'm looking to start up with that coach towards the end of this month - probably a 5k-focused block first, then more base, then training for CIM.

Weekly for period: From: 04/26/2021 To 05/02/2021

Date Name Distance
                in mi
                Duration Avg Pace
                per mi
                Elevation Gain
                in ft
                04/26/2021 2 rabbits, 2 deer (2 strides), 1 turkey, & 1 scissor-tailed fly catcher 7.05 01:00:28 08:35 246
                04/26/2021 Proper garage treadmill season is definitely over - Richmond 3.26 00:26:59 08:17 0
                04/27/2021 4 deer (4 strides) 2 scissor-tailed fly catchers, 1 rabbit, & 1 Mississippi kite 11.11 01:33:29 08:25 472
                04/28/2021 Not as much rain as I'd like, & just a little lightning way out on the horizon 11.25 01:31:37 08:09 423
                04/29/2021 3 turkeys, 2 herons, 1 hawk, & 1 Mississippi kite 11.25 01:33:39 08:19 492
                04/30/2021 10 turkeys, 2 rabbits, & 1 deer (1 stride) 11.26 01:30:59 08:05 367
                04/30/2021 Gone to Runch 3.25 00:27:05 08:20 115
                05/01/2021 1 rabbit - Yorkshire 8.55 01:08:42 08:02 0
                05/01/2021 Yorkshire 3.15 00:25:50 08:12 0
                05/02/2021 Daddy, my tummy hurts really bad! Oh, you're just hungry because you didn't eat supper, huh? - Innsbruck 5.80 00:47:28 08:11 0
                05/02/2021 Yorkshire 4.15 00:33:46 08:08 0

Total distance: 80.10mi

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

zebano

The kiddo is fine Mr. Dictator. Just caught a bug in the throat that is making him cough, he's on steroids now

My week was as solidly ok, as far as minimal running weeks go. I took the opportunity to start lifting for the first time since Covid, reasoning that I could keep low weights and minimize DOMs... hahah. The post-Deadlift days were fine, the post-squat days were a totally different matter.

Weights 2 sessions - DL / 1 leg DL/ Power Clean / Bench /Row, 1 session squat / Split Squat / Squat jump / Overhead Press / pull ups / Nordic Curls

Bodyweight  - 3 days of Alfredson Protocol (180 eccentric calf drops / day), 2 days of something similar to Jay Johnson's SAM

Running - 100 minutes over 4 days with a heel flare up Wed. night

Swim  4 swims for 3.6 miles about 3 hours.

Bike  2 rides of 14.x miles. I wanted to go full weekend warrior but the family was camping and I didn't have the time.

8ish total hours.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Corey great relief to get your covid shots done. Nice week. Get those shoes if you ever can. They are amazing. Reading reviews on running warehouse alot of older runners benefitting greatly through less joint stress

James good scenario this is so true. I will often use a tailwind but tuck in near  houses on the way back.

Zebano my only offering is try shoes with a decent drop 8mm up to take stress off lower legs. Also running more upright think string holding your head high and straight.

Keen another amazing mileage week. I think Flavios legs are half your legs in length though 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen another amazing mileage week. I think Flavios legs are half your legs in length though 

I'm up for a leg-length face off!

So long as Keen does not cheat with a Kiwi ruler.

Also, how exactly does one measure leg length?

PS: I'll have to wait a few days till I'm home though, we're in Rome today.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I'm up for a leg-length face off!

I will bring up the rear in that one, I'm sure.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Not much point me entering such a competition either...

CK - I got the pros.  My coach wants me to try them on my workout tomorrow.  He also suggested wearing different shoes for the easy kms but I'm not sure I want to stop twice for a shoe changes...

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Corey - good week and hopefully the recovery from that second shot goes OK.  It'll be at least July before most of us Kiwis here are able to get it.

Keen - huge week.  It's really impressive the way you can just pump out those mega-weeks.

Watson - I'm game, 17 is my lucky number after all 

Flavio - sorry, no Nathan Jones sighting.  You know it's a small race when there's no Nathan Jones.

Zebano - no way around the DOMS after a break from weights!  You should get used to it quickly enough though.  Squats and deadlifts are excellent for your running.

Piwi / James - it is a good reminder about the weather lottery of point-to-point courses, particularly where they run in a relatively straight line!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JamesD

JamesD

JMac - intermittent heel trouble sounds about right. I have avoided a strasburg sock so far but it's certainly on my list of things to try...I also just threw out my 3 pairs of shoes that had over 500 miles (one was at 850) but I haven't replaced them yet and I really need something cushy for easy days.

Strassburg socks helped me with occasional Achilles issues a few years ago.

As far as cushy easy-day shoes, I've done well with the Reebok Symmetros for my slow treadmill runs.  They're neutral with a 9mm drop, which might help your heel trouble.  They're probably the softest shoes I've ever owned, but despite all the cushion, they're only listed at 8.6 ounces.  Amazon and Jackrabbit have them; Reebok's website does too, but its return policy isn't as good as the others'.  I got them when Jackrabbit had a 50% off sale a couple of months ago, and Reebok has big sales on its site fairly regularly too.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

I have very short legs, at least in my mind. I guess you would measure from hip bone to ankle bone ?

I don't really like the look of short shorts on me either. So that probably makes my legs look even shorter.

Exhibit A