Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

Rune good to hear from you. I enjoy your strava dog and San Francisco photos. Hope you can get back to some jogging.

Chris we are so lucky with our weekly Parkruns.

Keen you should have a crack at your 10k pr now after your 5000m TT.

I tend to separate 5000m from 5k as different events due to the track times been quicker. I don't think everyone does though if I recall after Mark's 5000m a year or so ago.

Its probably because I follow athletics quite closely and they have separate road race and track records.

Mark cold and wet here today. Weather looks ok for Saturday northerly turning westerly during the day and temps dropping from 20c to 11c. Should be ok by race start at 6pm.

RP you should really go out and do 6 x 1k at 5k pace with 2 min jog recoveries. This will give you the pace to hit for your 5k. Otherwise you are guessing 😉

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Running Problem

Problem Child

piwi I ALWAYS just guess. I think the workout you suggested is scheduled for a week or two from now. Do I run the goal 5k BEFORE, or after the workout? Hmmm….benefits and disadvantages to both.

marky_Mark I have a set of gloves specifically for 40ish degrees Farenheight (6-7C) I thought I lost recently. They’re light weight and I absolutely HATE cold hands on a run. They’re similar weight to throw away gloves lost races sell, but I find them to be a little warmer because they aren’t mesh-like.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

RP the workout is a predictor and vo2 max training session so run it before a goal 5k.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Gotcha. Looks like it is scheduled for week 2 of phase three. I think that is three weeks from now, but maybe I need to put it next week (Monday), then run the 5k that weekend. So much to learn about this running stuff.

edit: so the book says 5x1k at interval pace. Interval pace is a 3:51/km ( ~6:12/mi) pace. This is a 19:15 5k which would be close to 30 seconds faster than my current PR. I am now wondering if I can even do that, so I will schedule it next week and see how it turns out.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - I disagree. 35 is already old for any athletics competition. It’s also a fun way for people between 35 and 40 to have some fun since they can’t compete with the young ones anymore (in the vast majority of cases). Heck I'm 40 now and there's a HUGE difference in recoverability from just 5 years ago.

I might be very biased though as it seems I'm aging (in terms of recovery) much quicker than the average male.

Keen - LOL, another one I had to tell my wife, after I stopped laughing (I spent a good minute on it)

Also, you should absolutely taper for the 5k, it seems to me you always race tired. The 5K requires quite a bit of speed despite being 95% aerobic according to the books.

The legs must be fresh.

Darkwave - good point, that must be why Mark watches the weather from 2 months out and gives us twice daily updates Big grin

Rune - It’s always good to hear from you. Sports doctor will always tell you you can never run again. You might be better of contacting one of the larger running groups in your area and asking which physiotherapist they send their athletes to.

me - Nice 4 miles tempo today, it really felt easy and I was running at around HM pace.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Flavio nice tempo although isn't your half pace now in the low 3.50s ?

With regard to your age, Chris Thompson who is 40 won the British marathon trials in 2.11. He's amazing and kinda looks like a weekend warrior like us 

Apparently he painted some Nike Next % black so as not to upset his usual shoe sponsor who didn't have a fast enough shoe 🤔

Zebano doing some amazing cycling, running and swimming on Strava today I noticed.

RP save those 1000s for the weeks leading up to a 5k. I think vo2 will improve then top out after about  4 weeks of doing them once per week.

Running Problem

Problem Child

wait, so save the 1,000s for when I'm reading for a 5k? I thought I was being told to run one now to see if the paces are appropriate. Ah phoey. I'll follow the plan and see how it comes out. Seriously, the thought of doing a 5x1,000m workout predicting a 19:15 5k time is really scary. Mostly the physical ability to do that being there. I really never expected to break 20 and it would really setup marathon training with some extra steam.

VDOT 53.37 

zebano

Rune Welcome back. You always have the most scenic pictures. I think I'd bike a lot more if I could fly along the coast like you do.

RP Honestly you're likely overthinking things. It's a 5k. Go race or go do the predictor workout, it'll work itself out. Both of those will give a VO2 boost and some feedback on your fitness. Neither will take an absurd amount of time to recover from.

45F is absolutely gloves weather for easy runs. 40F for faster runs.

Flavio Nice tempo. The tip about asking runners which PTs to go to is super important.

Piwi No swimming (yet) just 50+ miles cycling and 12 miles  of running. Good times! My son wants to swim and lift tonight, we'll see if I have any energy at all.

Speaking of weather, how many sources should one be consulting before one is sure they're screwed?

In other news, I have a coach (I withdrew from strengthrunning last week, it wasn't what I thought it was). It's a local runner who wants to try coaching and thus he's currently free. We had a quick chat about my plethora of goals, races, and injuries and he thinks we can make some good progress. The biggest change he wants me to make are basically around consistency: longer easy runs and more regular long runs.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Steve - That's the temperature at which I'll at least take (my thinnest) gloves with me, but I likely will not wear them the entire time. I wore them for maybe half of my run today, but once the sun rose I took them off.

RP - I'm counting it as a PR, even if I could knock more time off it in an actual road race - my road race PR is a solid 30 seconds slower than what I've done in time trials.

Piwi - I would like to take a crack at a 10k, but as those are pretty rare I'd have to go with a TT for it, too.

Flavio - I'm glad you got a chuckle out of that. I specifically haven't told my wife about it...
                    I think I've found a good 5k to target in mid-August, though I'll have to drive a couple hours to get there (well within DWave-approved range). Quite flat (I've run a race on the multi-use path right next to this part of the road), and they even have an "elite" race (sub-17:30 for men, sub-20 for women), which is a rarity for the area. I'll certainly taper for that one.

RP - Do the workout! If you bomb it you'll have learned something and know to back off a tad. If it's anywhere from "I'm glad I finished it" to "I CRUSHED that one" it'll be a huge confidence boost. [cheesy motivational speech] One can never find out what they're capable of if they don't try going beyond what they've done before. [/cheesy motivational speech]

Zebano - If the forecast looks good, you only need one forecast. If the forecast looks bad, check all you can until you find one that's more promising.
                    Good luck with the new coach!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

zeb yeah I have a feeling I'm over thinking it, I just lean on the wisdom here because I don't want to go run a 5k, blow up, and read responses with a tone I apply of "if you had listened to us/followed the plan." so for now I think I'll stick with what is working, see how the 5x1,000m goes, and report back. Maybe I nail that workout. Maybe it's like last time and I'm running around 3k pace being told it's too much for a runner of my abilities to do 1,200s.

VDOT 53.37 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

If the forecast looks good, you only need one forecast. If the forecast looks bad, check all you can until you find one that's more promising.

This belongs in the opening post - definitely a key step in race week madness

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

[double post]

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - I think that happens quite a lot.  I've heard multiple stories of sponsored runners wearing the VF with something covering the branding as their sponsor didn't have a decent equivalent.

RP - merino gloves, if you can get them, are the way to go for a warm-but-lightweight option.  I've got an Icebreaker pair which are great.  Also I'm with Zebano, don't over think it.  Have a crack at the workout and see how it goes.

Flavio - definitely with you on the age vs. recovery issue.  I'm noticing a slower recovery vs. even 2 years ago.

Keen/Steve- forecast shopping.  Been there!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Good luck Piwi and Watson!!🏃🏻‍♂️

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Running Problem

Problem Child

Well the workout I had scheduled was probably perfectly times. 3x3min hard then 4x2 min hard with 2 minutes jog recovery between each hard part. My reading of the book put it at a 6:10-6:30 pace and the effort was enough to show me I might not be ready for a 6:10/mi 5k, and it's probably going to be another two weeks of HARD workouts. SOOOOOO I think I'm going to cool it on racing for a while, see about the 5k CommanderKeen found about an hour South of me, and probably try for something mid June which leaves little to no time to worry about the marathon goal because training starts shortly after. Plus the race I picked is easier, and downhill, and about 4,400 ft lower in elevation.

Mark your training runs are crazy fast and now I see why you're winning races.

Zeb what did you think strength training was, and what was it?

off to do dad life with a 3 month old. Finished up a little Jeep stuff. Also have an interview some time next week. For those unaquainted...I've hated my job about 5 years, and I've been there 7. This week has been weird running becuase I haven't been thinking about work. It's like relaxing or somethign.

VDOT 53.37