Bounding? or Turnover? (Read 1101 times)

For those of you that are pretty fast, or know more than I, I have an odd question. I'm a bigger guy at 5'11" and 195 lbs. I'm working on getting down to around 19 min 5K paces. Pretty low mileage right now at just around 20 or so. I'm a few months coming off an injury and I've just kind of been gun shy about raising mileage again but I'm working on it. Anyway... Pace: Recovery 8:00-8:30. Easy runs are in the 7:25-7:45 range. Dipping down into the 6's here and there without thinking about it. (read:not meaning to and catching myself) Right now I'm just going back and forth between easy runs and a weird harder day where I'll do everything in the 6:30-ish range doing 2 miles, 800, 800, and then 400's all the way back with as much rest as I need to keep the pace for the next distance. I know it's an odd workout for low mileage but it feels good. My endurance stinks right now but I'm working on that. So the question is this... how much does bounding have to do with faster paces? I can run a 1:05 400, but my legs feel like they are really moving. I've noticed that doing the above 6 minute-ish workout that it's harder for my lungs than my legs and I've got a higher turnover rate than normal. My easy paces in the 7's seem like a fast jog for the most part. I read something somewhere a few weeks back and toyed with it out on a saturday run and started taking longer strides kind of bounding and I dropped down in the 5 minute range pretty easily for a couple 400s, although it was new to my legs and I really felt it, but it was easy on my lungs. I remember seeing guys I was racing against in the 19:00-20:00 range and it really looked like they were jogging compared to my turnover. So, is this something I should really be working on? or will it work itself out? (I know mileage needs to come up, but just in general.)
    Run like you stole something.
    mikeymike

What?

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

Pace: Recovery 8:00-8:30. Easy runs are in the 7:25-7:45 range. Dipping down into the 6's here and there without thinking about it. (read:not meaning to and catching myself) Right now I'm just going back and forth between easy runs and a weird harder day where I'll do everything in the 6:30-ish range doing 2 miles, 800, 800, and then 400's all the way back with as much rest as I need to keep the pace for the next distance. I know it's an odd workout for low mileage but it feels good. My endurance stinks right now but I'm working on that. So, is this something I should really be working on? or will it work itself out? (I know mileage needs to come up, but just in general.)
        1. An interesting fact: your recovery and easy paces are about the same as mine, and I think I'm in 17:00 5k shape. 2. You are right, your mileage should come up before you worry about these things. From the sound of it, you've got PLENTY of basic speed to run a 19 minute 5k. Your problems are the ones you already identified: your weight and your lack of endurance. There's one good cure for both of these: running more. 3. I might be wrong about this, but maybe one reason you're not running enough is that you are running too fast. It takes a lot out of you to be running so close to 5k pace, and that may be sapping your motivation to get out the door. Just my two cents. Perhaps they aren't relevant to the thread title, and sounds like you already know it; you just gotta do it.
          Im about a 19 minute 5k runner and I run my recovery runs at 9-9:30, Easy at 8:15-9:00, tempo in the 6:45-7:15 range. 400-800-1200's at 5k pace, about 1:30 a lap. About 40-50mi/wk. I think you're running too fast, not enough volume. ps. share your log...
          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

If you're working on getting down to a 19-minute 5k, where are you at right now? And what do you mean by bounding?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Scout7

Bounding? The only bounding should be up hills, as part of a specific workout. Longer stride length and higher turnover rate will both increase speed. By running more, you will work both to the point where your body finds its natural rhythm.
                Bounding? The only bounding should be up hills, as part of a specific workout. Longer stride length and higher turnover rate will both increase speed. By running more, you will work both to the point where your body finds its natural rhythm.
                Yeah, I kind of described this the wrong way. I guess you can replace 'bounding' with 'longer stride'. More pushoff and more air time? See, it doesn't really feel like my stride length is extending all that much. i.e. as my pace gets faster, my turnover matches but maybe my stride length isn't lengthening as much as it should? It could be my perception but I could swear my turnover is faster than other people at the same pace. It's not a big deal and I probably won't change anything, I just found it really interesting that it was easier (on my breathing) to bring down my pace with longer strides than with faster turnover and started thinking that maybe I'm not striding long enough when I increase speed. *shrug* Just thought I'd ask. I guess the natural rhythm answer works. Smile
                  If you're working on getting down to a 19-minute 5k, where are you at right now?
                  Nooo idea. My only guage right now is paces. I haven't raced in a year because of my yearly injury. (Left leg/hip takes me out for 4 months straight every year) My yearly goal 5K (which I was determined to just hobble this year) is in February but I plan on getting out to a few small pickup 5Ks to get back into the swing of it here in the next month or two.
                  Ed4

Barefoot and happy

You keep getting injured because you're running too fast. Get a heart rate monitor and learn what "easy" really feels like. Also, there's little to gain and much to risk by doing speedwork on such low overall mileage.
                    Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                      Im about a 19 minute 5k runner and I run my recovery runs at 9-9:30, Easy at 8:15-9:00, tempo in the 6:45-7:15 range. 400-800-1200's at 5k pace, about 1:30 a lap. About 40-50mi/wk. I think you're running too fast, not enough volume. ps. share your log...
                      I did, and it's not pretty. I'm running a lot less than I should be. I was at 40 miles per week before the 4 month lay off. Apparently I'm slacking even worse than I thought I was. I thought I was at least putting in 20 miles but apparently I've only been doing 15 for the last month. I've been back from the injury for only about 2 months. The funny thing about the speed is that I have a garmin and I've really stopped gauging my pace by it. I've really just said "Ok, today is easy" and go. I'll look here and there, but I don't slow down if the garmin says something that I don't like, I have just been listening to my body and if my body says it feels easy, well that's easy for the day. I will say that you're probably right in that I don't need to be doing all the faster tempo stuff but the longer distance stuff was making my hip tighten and I'd just stop running if that happened. (I couldn't tell if it was just tight or the old injury coming back) Shorter faster stuff doesn't seem to bother the hip so I stuck with it to at least get a good workout in. I just really don't want the hip problem to come back. Four months of no running two consecutive years. I hated not being able to run. Bad. And thanks for posting your numbers by the way.
                        You keep getting injured because you're running too fast.
                        Actually I've been told that my left leg swings out and around and I might have a leg length discrepancy. I've also found during the last month that one of my hips is a lot tighter than the other. If anything was the cause, other than leg length/tight hip, I would guess disproportionate long runs to my training volume, and or possibly the lack of a cutback week going from 30 to 40 miles per week. Leading up to the injuries I was doing no speedwork or tempos. All training was slower than 8 minutes per mile, with the exception of dipping down to 7:30 and 7:45 a couple times within the last month before my injury, all of which at the time was my easy pace. (i.e. my last long run of 11 miles that did it I ran at 8 minute pace working down to 7:35ish for the last 3 miles)
                          1. An interesting fact: your recovery and easy paces are about the same as mine, and I think I'm in 17:00 5k shape.
                          I'm not sure if I should be inspired or cry. Smile
                          2. You are right, your mileage should come up before you worry about these things. From the sound of it, you've got PLENTY of basic speed to run a 19 minute 5k. Your problems are the ones you already identified: your weight and your lack of endurance. There's one good cure for both of these: running more.
                          I agree, and thanks. I do have a decent amount of muscle so my ideal weight is probably around 180-185. I haven't been smaller than that since I was a freshman in high school 25 years ago. heh My diet has changed so it's coming off and I'm already at 191 so that part is on it's way.
                          3. I might be wrong about this, but maybe one reason you're not running enough is that you are running too fast. It takes a lot out of you to be running so close to 5k pace, and that may be sapping your motivation to get out the door.
                          Hard to admit, but you're probably right. I do get a little gun shy and will cut a run short if it gets tight, but there are days when I'm just done and call it at 3 miles where I should be getting out for 4 or 5 and building up the mileage again. Part of me says it feels good to run that fast, which it does, but it's counter productive right now I guess. Thanks for the advice.

Why is it sideways?

Thanks for the advice.
                            You're welcome. As you continue to think about your training plan, keep in mind that speed is not your problem. The question that your training plan should answer: what can I do that will give me the strength to use my natural speed over longer and longer distances? (Hint: the answer is pretty simple and requires no knowledge of muscle physiology, lactic thresholds, or VO2max.)
                              I looked at your log, and on 10/1, you did a 2.9 mile tempo run in 17:49. Assuming you would have extended that to 3.1mi at the same pace, I would guess you could have run that tempo run in about 19:00-19:30. AND- Since it was a tempo run, and not a race, you could probably run sub 19 in a race. (assuming the 2.9 tempo in 17:49 is accurate) I don't know what you are asking? You don't think youre there, but you are? huh? What exactly is your question? Just run more. If you ran 30 mi/wk instead of 15, you'd see quite a bit of improvement. Slow down too, and youll get faster. Don't worry so much about your turnover and stride length, your body will find what works for you as you run more.
                                I have the same question. Seriously, you guys are missing the point. Grrr! Try a longer stride (you feel as if you are bounding) or simply a short, faster stride. Which leads to more speed? Most of what I've read says that a cadence of 180 strides/minute is best. Elite runners are even higher. Like the OP, I tried both bounding and high cadence to see what was faster....bounding appeared to win. Conventional wisdom says rapid turnover wins. Confused I think I'll try the experiment again sometime under more controlled conditions. I also bound uphill, like an idiot. I know, I know, you're supposed to shorten your stride...but there are all those people to pass. /hijack, because I just don't want to post this on its own Very Special Thread/ I gambled very aggressively on the Hartford marathon, setting an aggressive BQ pace. And I crashed, spectacularly so. It was a painful experiment but I'm glad I went for it anyway. My next marathon in the Spring will be just for fun, I promise. No watch, no goals. /hijack off/