migraines (Read 1443 times)

Do any of you suffer from migraines? I had to cut my run really short today because one slammed me. I was hoping running would help make them go away Sad
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes. Since I have started running, I get migraines less often. In fact, I almost never get them. I have the occasional visual aura NOT followed by a headache when running at night. Sometimes I can go out for a run and that helps the headache go away. Migraines make you smart.

Runners run

Migraine with aura About 1 in 4 people with migraine have migraine with aura. The symptoms are the same as those described above (migraine without aura), but also include an aura (warning sign) before the headache begins. * Visual aura is the most common type of aura. Examples of visual aura are: a temporary loss of part of vision, flashes of light, objects may seem to rotate, shake, or 'boil'. * Numbness and 'pins and needles' are the second most common type of aura. Numbness usually starts in the hand, travels up the arm, then involves the face, lips, and tongue. The leg is sometimes involved. * Problems with speech are the third most common type of aura. * Other types of aura include: an odd smell, food cravings, a feeling of well-being, other odd sensations. Care of:http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068789/ about half way down

Jerry
          A runners blog-updated daily

Interesting. I never knew that. Just thought I was going crazy.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Visual auras are far and away the most common, and there are a lot of people who get visual auras but never develop a headache. The most common visual aura (and the one I have) is like an expanding shimmering bright light in the center of your visual field in one eye, that looks a lot like what happens when you stare at the sun and then look away. If you focus on the visual aura, you will see through it and it may even vanish, but the moment you stop focusing it will come back. A typical visual aura will last 20 minutes and then go away. This is usually when the head pain kicks in. Other common auras are a sudden sensitivity to smell or sounds, crankiness (which I also sometimes get), nausea and lightheadedness. Then comes the headache. After the headache, you are usually sleepy and may have to pee quite a bit. The headache is interesting. It is usually on just one side, in your temple. The pain is not always bad, but it often comes with a penetrating sense of malaise that knocks you out. Without the malaise, the head pain can be fairly tolerable (sometimes). Most people with recurrent headaches have migraines whether or not they are typical migraines or have been diagnosed as migraines. Oh, and migraines make you smart.
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Here is a simulation: http://www.knownjohnson.com/files/migraine.swf Click on the link, then press the start button.

Basically... run!

Here is a simulation: http://www.knownjohnson.com/files/migraine.swf Click on the link, then press the start button.
                  Awww. I was waiting for it to make me smart... Wink

Shocked Yikes. I am glad I dont get the visual aura, that looked weird. Trent how do migraines make you smart? Wink I always feel like I can think with so much more clarity right after I have one.. though it could be the caffeine from Excederin Big grin
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

All that increased brain activity from being smart gives you migraines. All that increased brain activity from migraines gives you smarts.
                        haha love the logic
                          So I've been having visual auras then. Sweet. I guess I can stop trying to figure it out with my eye doctor. Haven't had the migrane headache since I was a teenager, but started getting the aura stuff about a year and a half ago.

Runners run

PWL

Has been

Hmmm...so the funny things I've been seeing are called "visual auras" and have to do with migraines. All this time I thought it was all the coke and acid I was doing. Thanks for setting me straight Trent! Wink

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yep Mikey and PWL, lots of folks get the visual auras without headaches. See, don't you feel smarter already? Big grin

My dogs are fast, not me

I've been getting migraines since I was 21 and have them sporadically through the years. Then, for the past two years (August 2005 - July 2007) I didn't get one. Since July of this year I've had 3 with the last one being a killer. I missed a day and a half of work and didn't feel right for about 3 more days. Through non-scientific research, I've decided that dehydration is causing them. When they started I was sweating more than usual and dealing with the pleasant Memphis humidity. Unfortunately, they've had a really bad effect on my training since I'm almost afraid to run now. Sad

Robin