migraines (Read 1443 times)

Migraines with and without aura here. My aura is a bit different - when I look at you, part of your face appears missing - really spooky. And I get the visual lights usually in my peripheral vision and when I close my eyes. Aura is followed by extreme sensitivity to light and sound, puking my guts out and the feeling like an axe is embedded in the side of my head. Dead At first the aura bothered me, but it is actually very helpful. I don't feel the headache or nausea, so I have time to stop what I'm doing (some have come on while exercising) and take some meds. I have never tried a triptan, but I used to take ergotamine which worked really well to stop them cold. I now use Advil liqui-gels - work like a charm.That and sleep. However, I often wake up feeling like I was run over by a truck. My triggers are red wine, stress, too much sleep, low blood sugar level and fresh pineapple. My stress related migraines start with an amazing feeling of euphoria on Friday, only to wake up with a massive migraine on Saturday. Luckily, as I age (or the running) migraines are few and far between.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Thanks for the info Trent. I've only had two migraines and both started with the visual aura. Until this thread, I thought some sort of bright light must have caused the migrain. Still not sure what triggered them but on both occasions I had to lay down for an hour just to get some relief. Can't imagine what others go through that have them more often.

Well, today was the first time I got a migraine while I wasn't running-so there goes my long run induced theory (in this post).  Previously my triggers were high pressure, no food, long run, little water---the 3 other times I have had a migraine all these triggers were present.  Today I got the auras prior to my run (therefore, I didn't run-running does not help mine-oh no).  The last 2 migraines I treated with food/water/decongestant and that seems to do the trick with cutting down the duration.  Today I took a decongestant as soon as I got the auras, and though I never got the severe pain and puking, I have been down all day feeling just terrible. 

I was dehydrated (had maybe 20 oz of combined liquids yesterday-coffee, water, soda, etc.)...so maybe dehydration has been my trigger all along and I just didn't realize it?  

Bummer... I thought I had found a new remedy Roll eyes

Easy - just don't stop running (think Forrest Gump)

Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
          keeponrunning

i'm lucky enough to usually only get milder ones.  usually my head pounds, and often my stomach feels upside-down.  the odd time i notice blurry vision before one.

i find triggers to be: staring at a bright light for too long (sometimes even computer screens), low sugar (like after a hard run, or if i miss a snack/meal, esp. before run), and overtiredness.

usually when i get one i find going in  a dark room helps, eating sugar/caffeine (go figure...), and ibuprofen help.  (ik trent, ibuprofen bad) 

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It is called a scintillating scotoma, y'all.

keeponrunning

It is called a scintillating scotoma, y'all.

I'm certain I'll remember that term when I can't see.

Found my "miracle drug"...it's called Alexa.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

leonasmith1977

Addicted to Running

I get migraines easily when running too, but usually, it's triggered by dehydration. So i make it a point to drink lots of water.