Would you like to map your next run and then SEE it? (Read 133 times)

Markrunner34

I like the map your run functionality on this site.  Yet the problem is, you can't really see what it looks like.  As soon as you get to street level view you have no idea what turns to make.

So I made this simple site to address:  www.streetlevelnavigator.com

You map your run, get your distance, then it puts you into Google street view and guides you through the entire route automatically.

I found this was especially useful when I traveled and needed to find a route and wanted to know what kind of areas I was running into, did it have sidewalks, any dangerous spots with little visibility.

Let me know if this site is useful and any feedback.

Mark

run-chris-run

While this site (as it's designed now) could be useful from a driving/navigation standpoint, I don't see how runners could make use of this -- as it stands, you can only put in a start and destination, and it'll take you down the quickest driving route. You can't customize your route. If a highway is along the best route from A to B, it'll use that, which doesn't help runners at all. My running route is almost always a loop along local roads, and 1) I can't loop, and 2) local roads are ignored in favor of major routes and highways.

It's a good idea, but there's still a long way to go.

Hoban-Jay

Seems quite useless to me...just an extra layer of tech-iness just because it can be done but with no real purpose.

joescott

Spam.  Let's see your running log, Markrunner34.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

kilkee

runktrun

Useless.  If someone really wanted to know what an area looked like, Google aerial gives enough information to make decisions based on the presence of a sidewalk, shoulder, if it's a residential area or an industrial area, etc.  If I'm not familiar with an area, I take a quick look at a map before heading out, sometimes I'll even write out brief turn-by-turn directions on a sticky note and fold it in half in my pockect (eg: start main st, LEFT broad st, quick RIGHT 1st ave), but most of the time I just go out and run.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

kilkee

runktrun

And I would be a third of the way done with my run before the navigator finished the video of the route...

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Joann Y

Can't we leave some things to chance? Can't we sometimes be spontaneous? As a friend of mine likes to say, Can't we sometimes just wonder?

DDXD

Slower than I look

While this iteration may not be very helpful for some of the reasons stated above, I will say that trying to find running routes while traveling is something I commonly deal with and it isn't always as easy as "just go out and make the best of it".  The most effective tool I've found is the Strava Global heat map, because it will usually show the most popular running areas and if they are commonly run, they are usually reasonably safe.

The biggest information though that I have trouble tracking down is where to park (assuming I have to travel to the trail/route), and whether or not lighting is provided or access before sunrise.  Most of my travel requires that I attend business dinners at night so running in the morning is my only option.  Even though it's pretty easy to find popular route reviews, the aforementioned info is often left out.

xhristopher

I like the map your run functionality on this site.  Yet the problem is, you can't really see what it looks like.  As soon as you get to street level view you have no idea what turns to make.

So I made this simple site to address:  www.streetlevelnavigator.com

You map your run, get your distance, then it puts you into Google street view and guides you through the entire route automatically.

I found this was especially useful when I traveled and needed to find a route and wanted to know what kind of areas I was running into, did it have sidewalks, any dangerous spots with little visibility.

Let me know if this site is useful and any feedback.

Mark

I plugged in my run from work to home and it wanted to send me through tunnels and down the interstate. Given no other options I took it. Lot's of honking and swerving ensued. I took it anyway. Everything was going well until the state trooper stopped me and told me it was illegal to  run on the interstate. My court date is the first week of March.

My court date is the first week of March.

I know an expert witness who can testify in these types of situations.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                      xhristopher

I know an expert witness who can testify in these types of situations.

I'm collecting a witness list as we speak.

I hear this guy used streetlevelnalligator too.

Markrunner34

Good points ctingy.  You actually can adjust your route by dragging the route around.  Clearly better instructions need.  Thanks for the feedback.

Markrunner34

Can't we leave some things to chance? Can't we sometimes be spontaneous? As a friend of mine likes to say, Can't we sometimes just wonder?

Sure, but not everyone wants too.  I've run in some areas I wish I didn't. I don't think you can totally know the area just by looking at the birds-eye "earth" view..

Markrunner34

And I would be a third of the way done with my run before the navigator finished the video of the route...

Good point - not practical for longer runs! Unless your route happens to loop.

Markrunner34

Spam.  Let's see your running log, Markrunner34.

Some folks find it could be useful.  Hey, trying to help.  You know, like the map my run functionality on this site - same concept, just offering something different, potentially valuable.