New PB - 1km - (Read 1833 times)

xor

I'll also throw the Montrail Masochist into that mix. 

I will be holding a burning of my Mountain Masochists this week or next.  I have run my last terrible-race-that-hurt-my-feet in those bastards.

Ach, had I known I would have offered my Kayanos for kindling.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I think you exagerate, I know its not a great time but it is my current best, and I will be damed if you can find any one who is even 1 stone overweight of my age to match it.

I really don't know what you're trying to get at; whether you are saying older people can't run at 8-minute-mile pace or someone heavier than you at the age of 22 can't run 8-minute-mile pace or what.  Later on the forum you seem to have gone on and on and on about older people (>62) can't run at 8-minute-mile pace...  I've been "coaching" a group of beginning runners in the spring and in the summer.  Take this one guy for example; I think he was somewhere around 29.  He said he was border-line "obese" so he started to walk.  He joined our group and, during the first week when we did a mile time test, he did 9:40.  Six weeks later, he ran a mile test in 7:10 and a week later ran his first 5k race.  I have a picture of him from this 5k race and you can see his gut shaking up and down but he did fairly well--I'd say he average 8-minute pace.  Besides, I thought your idea of getting faster is to gain more weight.  So a guy with 1 extra stone of weight should be able to naturally run faster???

But I also have anemia. Geez. It is the fastest time yet, so is my p.B. I will lower it too. As for the other comments, I thought this was the place to share your triumphs great or small. SRlopez seems bitter I set a faster time than I have done previously. You try running with anemia, when you hadnt done much previously, I may look fit or very skinny but I wasn't and am still not fit.

So you're supposed to be stupid.  If you're not troll, then you are incredibly stupid and I think you're doing a good job proving it.  I was actually complimenting you when I said your time wasn't very good.  No idiot would try to just go to the gym and blast out to run 1km and PR; then do some weightlifting for 10 minutes and try to run another 1km as hard as you can to claim another PR.  That whole routine can be classified as what we call "warm-up".  Naturally, you don't have any concept of running, training or workout.  And that's fine.  We're giving you an opporunity to learn if you so choose to.  Like I said, any HEALTHY 22-year-old boy should be able to run a lot better than 8-minute-mile, or 5-minute-km.  And, IF your objective of coming here is actually to run better, you should learn a comcept of warm-up and peaking. 

By the way, if you don't work on your cardiovascular fitness and simply try to gain weight by supplement like protein powder, you WILL get the same effect as anemia simply because you increase your weight without increasing your blood tone--in effect, your blood will thin out per kilogram of your body weight (even if it's only 29 or 49 of them or whatever).  By the way, so what is your hemoglobin count?

A HEALTHY young kid to get out and run an 8-minute-mile pace is not a triumph.  Someone who once was grossly over-weight and couldn't even shuffle for a half a lap around a track; decide to lose some weight and 6 months later, run a full marathon without stopping in 6-hours; THAT is a triumph.  A healthy individual going out and blasting 1km around the gym in 5-minutes and, simply because you've never run 1km, call that a PR; that's a disgrace.  Nothing to be proud of; sorry.  That guy above mentioned, lost some 40lb of weight and ran from 9:40 to 7:10 in 6 weeks; THAT's a triumph.  A real "triumph" comes with "work".  "Crap-shooting" is not necessarily "work".

So I do both interval training and long slow running is that bad then?

Now, while at it, let me enlighten you by answering this rediculously stupid question that I wasn't about to waste my time on.  First of all, I don't even know what you're asking or why you're asking this question.  Second of all, the answer to you is; yes it's bad simply because you are not doing either anyways.  All you do, according to your log, is tempo and race.  So I guess this really comfirms that you are either a real troll or a lier...or an idiot.  5.6km should hardly be classified as "long" and we can see none of "interval training" in the past 3 months.  Running 16 times in the past 3 months should hardly be classified as "good effort" and just get out and blast around 1km for the hell of it is hardly a triumph. 

So now, I've spent so much time answering most of your questions, are you ever going back and answer my question or do your homework?

"...So you read 2 books and RW article about cross training and decided that ALL books suggest you "should cross train".  One of these books you even claimed "crappy" and you still went with it???  Now is it smart or what?

Two things I would like you to do...well, maybe three. 

One; go back and check this "Running Well" book and see exactly what it says about cross training.  Out of how many pages of the entire book--and, from the title, I'm assuming it's about running???--go check how many pages were devoted to cross training. 

Two; since you seem to worship Kelly Holmes and her writing the foreword means a lot to you, go check how much she cross trained; what she says about cross training.

Three, now you're actually involved in the running world by asking a buch of us on-line running geeks for all sorts of life's advices, go do some research on who are the leading authorities in distance running.  Don't give me a name like Arnold Schw... (you know who I'm talking about) who is more of an authority of body building than running; but in RUNNING circuit.  See how many you can actually come up with.  Kelly Holmes is a good start.  See who coached her.  See what he says about cross training.  Before you decide that ALL books are suggesting something by reading a few RW articles, do a little reserach on RUNNING; that'll do you good--that'll at least make you not look like an idiot...."

Can you do this?  Or are you going to ignore me again?

A Saucy Wench

What he said ^^^^^^^^^

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

xhristopher

At my most recent 5K I had to battle pretty tough with this dude for 9th place. Checking the results I noted that he was 61 and just ran 18:10 5K, or an average of 5 consecutive 3:38 Ks in a row, which I found very impressive. Just imagine his shock and horror when he hears how slow he's going to be after his next birthday.

A Saucy Wench

Local not typically fabulously attended HILLY 10K...

Male 60-64 
                  1 Bernie Blazek Aloha OR 64 M11 07:16 0:45:03 30 26/98
                  2 Bill Hedges Pdx OR 60 M11 07:33 0:46:48 40 36/98
                  3 Philip Rossi Lake Oswego OR 61 M11 07:35 0:47:02 42 38/98
                  4 James Marshall Pdx OR 63 M11 07:36 0:47:09 43 39/98
                  5 Patrick Cross Hillsboro OR 61 M11 07:58 0:49:22 55 43/98
                  6 Greg Jacob Hillsboro OR 64 M11 08:03 0:49:52 57 45/98
                  7 Charles Brasher Vancouver WA 62 M11 08:18 0:51:27 63 47/98

Wow...there are a lot of local former elites here I guess....although only 4 of the 7 are 62 or older.

And for good measure...
                  Female 55-59 
                  1 Betty Wagner Pdx OR 58 F10 07:41 0:47:38 44 5/117
                  2 Elizabeth Evans Pdx OR 57 F10 08:19 0:51:32 64 17/117

Not 62, granted. I'm sure the next 4 years will be rough on betty.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

62 year old blokes - interesting datum: fastest *marathon* by a 62 year old is 2:41 - which is an average of 3:49 per kilometre for 42km.

12 year old girls - my daughter can run 1500m in just under 6 mins - so something under 4 for 1km. She has a friend who's a lot faster - around 5:20 for 1500. The fastest 1500 in competition by an under 13 girl in the UK last year was 4:48.

jayskydee

well perfromacne is a bell curve, but a lot of the more "normal" 13 year old girls couldnt run 200 meters these days as they dont like gym... but that is another matter alltogether

jayskydee

At my most recent 5K I had to battle pretty tough with this dude for 9th place. Checking the results I noted that he was 61 and just ran 18:10 5K, or an average of 5 consecutive 3:38 Ks in a row, which I found very impressive. Just imagine his shock and horror when he hears how slow he's going to be after his next birthday.

At least their is hope that when I start getting treated for anemea and ramp my milage up to 20 miles a week that I can run decent times. As said my anemea is currently untreated, I am waiting for a haemotologists appointment to come in the mail.

jayskydee

I really don't know what you're trying to get at; whether you are saying older people can't run at 8-minute-mile pace or someone heavier than you at the age of 22 can't run 8-minute-mile pace or what.  Later on the forum you seem to have gone on and on and on about older people (>62) can't run at 8-minute-mile pace...  I've been "coaching" a group of beginning runners in the spring and in the summer.  Take this one guy for example; I think he was somewhere around 29.  He said he was border-line "obese" so he started to walk.  He joined our group and, during the first week when we did a mile time test, he did 9:40.  Six weeks later, he ran a mile test in 7:10 and a week later ran his first 5k race.  I have a picture of him from this 5k race and you can see his gut shaking up and down but he did fairly well--I'd say he average 8-minute pace.  Besides, I thought your idea of getting faster is to gain more weight.  So a guy with 1 extra stone of weight should be able to naturally run faster???

So you're supposed to be stupid.  If you're not troll, then you are incredibly stupid and I think you're doing a good job proving it.  I was actually complimenting you when I said your time wasn't very good.  No idiot would try to just go to the gym and blast out to run 1km and PR; then do some weightlifting for 10 minutes and try to run another 1km as hard as you can to claim another PR.  That whole routine can be classified as what we call "warm-up".  Naturally, you don't have any concept of running, training or workout.  And that's fine.  We're giving you an opporunity to learn if you so choose to.  Like I said, any HEALTHY 22-year-old boy should be able to run a lot better than 8-minute-mile, or 5-minute-km.  And, IF your objective of coming here is actually to run better, you should learn a comcept of warm-up and peaking. 

By the way, if you don't work on your cardiovascular fitness and simply try to gain weight by supplement like protein powder, you WILL get the same effect as anemia simply because you increase your weight without increasing your blood tone--in effect, your blood will thin out per kilogram of your body weight (even if it's only 29 or 49 of them or whatever).  By the way, so what is your hemoglobin count?

A HEALTHY young kid to get out and run an 8-minute-mile pace is not a triumph.  Someone who once was grossly over-weight and couldn't even shuffle for a half a lap around a track; decide to lose some weight and 6 months later, run a full marathon without stopping in 6-hours; THAT is a triumph.  A healthy individual going out and blasting 1km around the gym in 5-minutes and, simply because you've never run 1km, call that a PR; that's a disgrace.  Nothing to be proud of; sorry.  That guy above mentioned, lost some 40lb of weight and ran from 9:40 to 7:10 in 6 weeks; THAT's a triumph.  A real "triumph" comes with "work".  "Crap-shooting" is not necessarily "work".

Now, while at it, let me enlighten you by answering this rediculously stupid question that I wasn't about to waste my time on.  First of all, I don't even know what you're asking or why you're asking this question.  Second of all, the answer to you is; yes it's bad simply because you are not doing either anyways.  All you do, according to your log, is tempo and race.  So I guess this really comfirms that you are either a real troll or a lier...or an idiot.  5.6km should hardly be classified as "long" and we can see none of "interval training" in the past 3 months.  Running 16 times in the past 3 months should hardly be classified as "good effort" and just get out and blast around 1km for the hell of it is hardly a triumph. 

So now, I've spent so much time answering most of your questions, are you ever going back and answer my question or do your homework?

"...So you read 2 books and RW article about cross training and decided that ALL books suggest you "should cross train".  One of these books you even claimed "crappy" and you still went with it???  Now is it smart or what?

One; go back and check this "Running Well" book and see exactly what it says about cross training.  Out of how many pages of the entire book--and, from the title, I'm assuming it's about running???--go check how many pages were devoted to cross training. 

Two; since you seem to worship Kelly Holmes and her writing the foreword means a lot to you, go check how much she cross trained; what she says about cross training.

Three, now you're actually involved in the running world by asking a buch of us on-line running geeks for all sorts of life's advices, go do some research on who are the leading authorities in distance running.  Don't give me a name like Arnold Schw... (you know who I'm talking about) who is more of an authority of body building than running; but in RUNNING circuit.  See how many you can actually come up with.  Kelly Holmes is a good start.  See who coached her.  See what he says about cross training.  Before you decide that ALL books are suggesting something by reading a few RW articles, do a little reserach on RUNNING; that'll do you good--that'll at least make you not look like an idiot...."

Firstly 1 stone of fat over the recomended BMI is quite a difference from 1 kilo of muscle when you are at the very bottom end of the BMI scale. Secondly I had done circuits before as well, but as I hadnt time myself over 1k before they both classify as " PB's" and thirdly my time would be a lot better if I didnt try to run before I can walk, I set the machine at 18 and of course that buggers me. If I could plod along(whilist gasping for air) at 13 kmh I would set a better time but that takes bottle, I like to try and get the first part in really fast, far too fast really. 

s for the book, there is a chapter in the book devoted to core exercises and multiple bit here and their about strength training. I dunno the exact count but it was 50-80 too low from memory (or 0.5-0.8 whatever the scale was) 

jayskydee

Firstly 1 stone of fat over the recomended BMI is quite a difference from 1 kilo of muscle when you are at the very bottom end of the BMI scale. Secondly I had done circuits before as well, but as I hadnt time myself over 1k before they both classify as " PB's" and thirdly my time would be a lot better if I didnt try to run before I can walk, I set the machine at 18 and of course that buggers me. If I could plod along(whilist gasping for air) at 13 kmh I would set a better time but that takes bottle, I like to try and get the first part in really fast, far too fast really. 

s for the book, there is a chapter in the book devoted to core exercises and multiple bit here and their about strength training. I dunno the exact count but it was 50-80 too low from memory (or 0.5-0.8 whatever the scale was) 

I would also say that in order to get my 5k down by four minutes, or more I need to be able to run 1km in a lot quicker than five minutes, as previously I have recoreded 1km as part of a 2k effort as 5:50, at least getting into the low 5's is a start. My interval training was once, the weekend just past, where I did 40 minutes 10 minutes running pritty fast followed by 5 minute walk recovery period. I managed 9:13 for a mile that time (the first), so 8:28 is better as well.

jayskydee

I have them down as race when I want them to be included in my PB section of the website. Tempo run is just runs where I dont really care about the pace but like to finish without any walking or it may be a 20 minute recovery run. I am aiming to try a "tempo" i.e light run for 60 minutes this week, at the slowest pace possible because I havent "ran" non stop at any pace for that time before. My boderline jog/walk speed that could be classed as running is around 8kmph. I can fast walk a bit faster than that but even 8kmph when walking,not jogging, is like light sprinting when I am running.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Hey Jayskydee - whereabouts are you from?