Back in the saddle...? (Read 792 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Just got back from my run. About a mile in my calves started to tighten and I was very worried that my shins would splint-up on me, but then my calves got better. But what stinks is that I ran for a minute longer than my last outing, but only went .6 mile further--and last time I WALKED half of the time! Now I'm debating if I should run tomorrow, or not. It's going to be beautiful weather for it...

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Kirsten, Sorry to hear about your bad run. Given that you've had a series of bad runs, maybe you should take tomorrow of. Back off a little and then ease back in slowly. Have you tried stretching?
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, I wouldn't consider tonite a bad run, per se...just really slow (not that I was ever really *fast*). My calf pain didn't last long, luckily--and no shin issues (phew!). I'm stretching both before and after, now, so that seems to really help. I never felt bad, just sluggish. The past week or so I slept pretty poorly (in large part due to our recent hot spell), so I'm sure that plays a major role. I finally slept decently last night, but I think my body has some catching up to do. I should be able to recoup some pillow hours tonite, though. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

I know what'cha mean about not sleeping well affecting your running! I've had some of that myself lately... If you're not going to take a day off as Mile Collector suggested (which I think's a very good idea!) then you should probably try to take it slow and easy for a couple of days. If you PLAN on going slow then it doesn't hurt so much to find out you went slow! And if it's going to be so nice out, why not take the day and do some cross-training instead? Got any lakes near you? How about a canoe ride in the morning? Or a bike ride? Or a horseback ride on one of the MORE cooperative beasties. Smile Wouldn't that be nice?

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We DO have some lakes near us, as a matter of fact (MI has more lakes than MN--Land of 1000 Lakes)...and my ILs have little sea kayaks. I should go over there one of these days and haul them out (they have a vacation cottage on a small inland lake about 20 minutes away). Horseback riding would be very fun...I just wish Eryn didn't live 90 minutes away... I should get my old mountain bike ready to ride one of these days, too. I haven't really been on that in years. That would add some nice variety. I've also got a nice pair of inline skates that I really haven't used (had to buy new ones after I had a kid, since my feet grew/spread)...but I'm VERY accident prone, so I live in fear of really doing damage to myself (even with plenty of protective gear) and not being able to run, LOL... k

~ Sarah Kay

vicentefrijole

RE: Stretching I was having a foot-pain issue last year (sort of a pre-'plantar fasciaitis' I think) and it really helped me if I stretched before, after, and DURING my run. I would pick my route so that I could stop about 1-2 miles out near a bench and then I'd do stretches there (I find it very important to have a bench or wall for stretching.. especially those calves). It helped me to stretch a little after I'd warmed up...
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

RE: Stretching I was having a foot-pain issue last year (sort of a pre-'plantar fasciaitis' I think) and it really helped me if I stretched before, after, and DURING my run. I would pick my route so that I could stop about 1-2 miles out near a bench and then I'd do stretches there (I find it very important to have a bench or wall for stretching.. especially those calves). It helped me to stretch a little after I'd warmed up...
                Hmmm...there is one bench that I can think of that is about 3/4 of a mile away. If I run into more problems I will definitely start making that part of a regular run course. I agree that calf stretches need that vertical surface. Heck, I'll bet a tree would work, even, and we have plenty of those! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Kirsten, How was your run today? I peeked at your log Big grin I'm thinking that you might want to have someone look at your leg. You've had this problem for a while. It could be something serious.
                    Yeah, Blondie...don't be a moron like your best friend & never go to the doctor!! Blush I must say, though, Kirsten is doing a much better job than I of SLOWLY increasing her mileage. I'm fine this time around, but that was undoubtedly the cause of my stress fractures. But be smart, Kirsten. If it hurts, fix it. So what if you have to wait to run a 5K til later. Better to do it without pain & suffering! I know, I know, this would be the proverbial pot calling the kettle black, but... I haven't ran at all this weekend. Perfect weather for it & I spent the entire weekend at high school grad parties & visiting family. I can't wait to get out there tomorrow...6am & 8 miles or so, my little time of heaven!! If 8 miles feels good for the next couple days & my groin doesn't hurt, then I'll up it to 10 for a couple, then back up to 13 or so. And maybe I can make it out to your house once this week to run with you?? We leave for Wyoming next Wed, so this week would be best. Pay attention to your body & quit being a dummy like me!! Big grin
                    So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha, I knew you liked running out this way--we have trees and water and scenery other than cattle and cornfields! Wink Today's run was great! I did a short one and I *felt* like I was running fast, but just my same ol' same ol' pace. That's ok, though. No pains since that first run after my run with Eryn. I think I just did too much, too soon, too fast and was short on sleep and probably a little dehydrated, too. My bod doesn't like heat one bit! I really think all of my calf pain and shin splint issues in HS were the result of being pushed to do more than my body could handle (5 consecutive days/week, too)--fast distance workouts weren't appropriate for a sprinter, but I went to a small, VERY distance-intensive school (we were and are still known for our cross country program), so they pretty much threw the same workout at everyone. Eryn, I'm planning to do an easy paced 60 minute run on Weds eve--wanna come out then? Or we could plan something for Sat. or Sun. when Derek's around to watch Dane (he just has a bike ride in the afternoon on Sunday). I think my legs are doing a pretty good job of keeping me out of trouble, actually. Next thing I need to do is ask my PCP about renewing my inhaler script. I'm thinking it might do me some good to use that on a regular basis before my runs and have it with me during (another advantage of the larger Camelbak is more storage for something like that). I might have an easier time being chatty when Eryn and I run together, that way! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Wed eve would probably work. I will have all 3 kids starting on Fri & want to spend time w/ them before I head west next week. We are kid free this week & I'm already bored to tears! I'm glad your run went so well. I'm planning a 90 minute run tomorrow morning, I think & hopefully I have the same happy report. No more crying in baseball...or running! Smile Then, I'm off to play chauffer to the Amish family! Big grin
                        Wingz

Professional Noob

Where are you going in Wyoming? I used to live in Laramie, WY.

Roads were made for journeys...

Hi. Big grin
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, girly--glad you made it over! Isn't this a nice place?! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

I'm going to Riverton, Wyoming. Hauling a horse there for my former boss (also one of my best friends). I'm hoping to get some runs in while visiting, but considering I live at an elevation of approx 500ft, I'll probably make it about a mile & drop dead!! Big grin