Anyone had a pair of new shoes screw up their body? (Read 830 times)

bluii12

I went in for my 1st professional fitting for running shoes about 1 month ago. I went to a store called, Top to Top in Los Angeles. I was told that I overpronate, and ended up with a Saucony shoe that is the greatest compensation for this problem. Since then I have had nothing but pains in my hips, shins, knees, and other joints when I run. Prior to that, I was fine. I am not really running longer distances either. Could it possibly be the shoes? That is the only thing that is different. Now that I've dropped $125 on shoes, it bothers me to have them be the cause of my problem! GRRRRR. Angry
    JakeKnight

Yup. Nike Triax. Great shoes. Just not for me, apparently. I retired them after 150 miles or so, after they gave me a bad case of PF that lasted almost a year. They really are good shoes. According to other people. To me they were the kiss of death. Assuming the kiss was on my left foot. Call the running store. My place will take them back within a month, I think. Maybe yours will, too. See what they'll do for you.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Asics Kayano 13 last Summer. So many people like them that when the shoe guy told me I moderately overpronated and they fit well in the store I thought they had to be the right shoe for me...wrong. They were just too much shoe...and didn't fit me all that well, anyhow (too narrow through the toes--in a wide--and too wide in the heels). I ended up with a BAD case of runner's knee...felt like someone was stabbing me in the kneecap and I couldn't walk down stairs or down hills, much less run at all. As soon as I ditched the shoes it healed. I'd already had them a month and put nearly 100 miles on them, though, so I kept them and donated them to a shoe charity. (I'm currently dealing with a milder, more chronic case of this beast that seems to be more the result of overuse/overtraining). I've also had a few pair of shoes here and there that fit poorly in the heels or had heel tabs that were too high and rubbed my achilles. My feet are a real bitch to fit.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Hoping to Run Again :-(

Brooks Addiction 7s. I was getting back into running, ignorant about pronation and trusted a recommendaton based upon the shape of my foot, arch height and bunion problem (genetic). Ran for 3 months in those rocks and experienced knee problems for the first time ever. Got a second opinion and gait analysis by a fellow runner/store manager, got my NEUTRAL Asics Nimbus VIIIs and never looked back. Knees are great now. I agree to call the store and see what they'll do for you. Don't run in them any more!
          ~ Fly ~
          Only as much as I dream can I be.
          veggies on the run

The young Mama Bear!

Ran for 3 months in those rocks
            ROFL. I wear Addiction 6's, and they're like cement blocks. I'm a big girl, but I'm sure a lighter trainer would suit me just as well, even though I overpronate and I know it. I'm thinking about looking at something different soon enough, but these shoes only have about 30+ miles on it... To the OP, I've never had a shoe 'screw up' my body, but I've had shoes that weren't right for my foot type. I was originally wearing these New Balances that were a size too small and had no arch support for my flat arches. No go, no go.
            Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
            Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
            C-R

Ran in some Pearl Izumi's a couple of years back (can't recall the name but they no longer make the model). Good shoe and I loved the one piece upper but they really did a number on my lower legs. Changed to NB and I was fine. I've had good luck in working with the my local store. See if they can't find a swap or something. A good store will want a happy and injury free runner as they become loyal customers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I bought a pair of Mizuno's last year. Nirvana 9's I think. They were about $120 and the first day I wore them on a run, my right hip hurt and it sidelined me for two weeks. I steer clear of Mizuno's now. I'm a Saucony girl.
                Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09

The Terminator

Yep. I had been running in a pair of NB's that were handed down from my sister (she's not a runner, she just likes to wear sneakers). My running friend insisted that I had to be properly fitted for running shoes. A specialty running store sold me some Asics for about $100. I chalked up the initial leg pain to the breaking-in process, but when it was getting worse after 2 weeks, I went back to the store. They sold me some Superfeet for $30, which didn't really make much difference. The pain got progressively worse, but by this time I had invested $130 in these special running shoes, and by god, I was going to get my money's worth. I was in CHRONIC pain. I had to take a rest day after every short, easy run, and I would spend the rest day limping around where ever I went. I finally gave in and put on my old hand-me-down improper running shoes and within a few weeks, the pain cleared up. I went to DSW and bought a pair of running shoes at a discount without being fitted. They are fine. Long story short: It probably is not going to get better. Stop running in them. Get something else. Don't waste anymore time with them.

"In the South, the cotillion of Machiavelli is played as a soft-shoe, in three-quarter time." - Pat Conroy

Blisters

More frustrating, I've had a redesign of my bread-and-butter shoe screw me up. Then you have to go through the additional effort of finding something new that works for you.
                    bluii12

Thanks everyone! All I needed was a few stories to convince me. I've gone ahead & purchased new shoes. My homestore is taking the old ones back (I have temporarily relocated, so I had to pay for S&H to send them), and issuing me an in-store credit to use when I return to the area in a few months. I hope my new shoes are better for me. Please, please, please!