Spring Marathon Pick: Virginia Beach, Myrtle Beach, or Sugarloaf (Read 98 times)

PortyMan

I'm in NJ and trying to choose between a Spring marathon since my 2:19 didn't get me into Boston. Was thinking about one of the three above. Thoughts? Also, if you have another marathon to list please do so. Thanks.

catwhoorg

Labrat

I'm leaning towards Myrtle Beach, the alternative is Albany (GA) (Snickers), which is a bit closer for me.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

From the Internet.

I'm wallowing in my sorrow now but was planning on running Sugarloaf again. I'm not 100% sure yet though. Maybe I'll never run a marathon again :P It's a little late in the season so the weather can be warm, but the course is nice and the race is small and well-run.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

By Virginia Beach I assume you meant Shamrock.

It's a very well managed race - it was my first marathon, and still my PR.  Understand that they have changed the course - now the full and half marathoners start together.  Additionally, with the new course, if it's a windy day, the odds are good that your last few miles will be into a strong headwind.  On the previous version of the marathon course, you hit that section at mile 11 or so - much easier to handle then.

I can't speak to the other two from direct experience.  I know people have run fast at Myrtle Beach.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mmmmm...beer

Shamrock is still one of my favorite races, the afterparty is probably the best of any race I've done. Flat, fast course, as mentioned the wind can be an issue some times, but If you can tuck in with a group it's not too bad. It was my first marathon and is still my half PR. Maybe I need to go back and get a new half PR this spring. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Kalsarikännit

Myrtle Beach was canceled VERY last minute a few years ago because of a sprinkling of snow.  Just a warning.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

For BQ / PR purposes, have heard good things about the course & typical weather at Myrtle Beach.  Supposedly it can be a fast course. I'm in the same BQ boat... also was a squeaker for the second consecutive year and didn't get in.  I'm already registered for Myrtle Beach.

VA Beach is known for being VERY windy, especially in the last 6-10 miles along the beach.

Good luck with the Boston pursuit!  Hope to see you there in 2019!!

PortyMan

Thanks for all of the info. It's probably going to be between Shamrock in VB and Myrtle Beach. My concerns with each: Shamrock - The wind. However, I looked at course map and it seems like if there is a headwind at least it won't be the entire race, as mentioned above. So maybe a tailwind even at the beginning of the run? MB - The 6:30am start. Isn't it still dark then? I'm sure it is cold that early as well. Also, lack of crowd support as it is the off-season.

PortyMan

I have the same goals as listed in your signature. Best of luck achieving them this year.

Shamrock is still one of my favorite races, the afterparty is probably the best of any race I've done. Flat, fast course, as mentioned the wind can be an issue some times, but If you can tuck in with a group it's not too bad. It was my first marathon and is still my half PR. Maybe I need to go back and get a new half PR this spring. Smile

PortyMan

2 years in a row, that's rough. It seems like it's a must to be 5 plus under standard now. I can't go through that 9 days wait again. Best of luck getting that BQ in the coming year. We'll be there soon enough. Now we have that extra motivation of getting the denial email!

For BQ / PR purposes, have heard good things about the course & typical weather at Myrtle Beach.  Supposedly it can be a fast course. I'm in the same BQ boat... also was a squeaker for the second consecutive year and didn't get in.  I'm already registered for Myrtle Beach.

VA Beach is known for being VERY windy, especially in the last 6-10 miles along the beach.

Good luck with the Boston pursuit!  Hope to see you there in 2019!!

HermosaBoy

MB - The 6:30am start. Isn't it still dark then? I'm sure it is cold that early as well. Also, lack of crowd support as it is the off-season.

When I ran Shamrock, I would definitely call it the off season, not a lot of crowd support and quite a few businesses/restaurants had not opened for the season yet.  It was a bit lonely in spots on the course.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

darkwave

Mother of Cats

For Shamrock, if it's windy (and it usually is) the wind is usually from the north.  When meant that for the previous course, you had a tailwind for the first 6 and last 6 miles, and a headwind for most of the balance.  The tailwind for the last 6 miles was really nice, though.

With the new course, if the wind is from the north, you'll have a tailwind for 8-19, and then a headwind from 20-26, with the worst of it being the section on the board walk near the end.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mmmmm...beer

I have the same goals as listed in your signature. Best of luck achieving them this year.

Thanks, you too!! I'm running Charlotte in Nov, training is going really well, and my weight is down from my PR last fall, so I think there's a good chance I'll get it.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

catwhoorg

Labrat

Myrtle Beach was canceled VERY last minute a few years ago because of a sprinkling of snow.  Just a warning.

THM has commented on this fact at length.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

an amazing likeness

At Sugarloaf you can see a moose. What about the others?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.