What made you get into running? (Read 883 times)

aponi

never runs the tangents

I spent so much time in trouble and having to run laps that eventually I gave up on the sport with the ball, bats, rackets, etc and just started running. You know, cut to the chase. Less yelling that way.

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who

racecat

Goddess of the Cuisine

Local road race called Sunburst that I wanted to run. I was a total n00b and used a training plan from Cooking Light, then I scoped out the running section in the library and eventually (sort of) figured out how I should be training.

In transit, arriving on time. 

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

What got me into running?

Simple, I lost a coin-toss 31 months ago....

True story! Surprised

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

Nevrgivup

My father ran marathons. I started running for depression and alas it was the best cure. I've been a runner for more than a decade now. 

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Roadrunner's Apprentice

Tipping the scales at close to 210 lb and seeing cholesterol and blood pressure creeping into the high ranges did it for me.  I figured running would be the most effective way to lose it, and with watching what and how much I eat (not strictly dieting really) it helped.

Made that decision 2 years ago.  Down to 185 lb now, and working to break 180.  Cool

2014 Goals:

- sub-26 5K : sub-56 10K : 1st half marathon

- Tell my excuses to shut up and lace up...

I started running when I made the varsity basketball team my sophomore year in high school. Our coach made us run cross country to get in shape for basketball season. I went to a very small school. Had he not basically forced some of us to run, we wouldn't have had enough for a team. I kept running after because the Army made me. 

After the Army, I decided I wanted to be in better shape than I was while in the Army.  I also discovered that it helped me lose weight and that 5Ks were fun because people were smiling rather than telling me how horrible I was at running. I then just kept on increasing the distance. Now I really enjoy it. I'm also a lot better at it now that I find it fun.

I've been running for 22 years.  I've enjoyed it for the last 7 of those. 

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

tessasnewlife

I was 26, my husband had just passed away and I felt lost. I started running as a way to clear my head from all the other drama that was happening. Was the only time I didnt feel judged or feel like I had to put on a "mask" for everyone. Lost my home (owner let it foreclose), my mom got sick (pancreatic cancer), uncle died, brother in law died and now my mom died.- only constant was running. Running is me time.

Purple Toes

I was 26, my husband had just passed away and I felt lost. I started running as a way to clear my head from all the other drama that was happening. Was the only time I didnt feel judged or feel like I had to put on a "mask" for everyone. Lost my home (owner let it foreclose), my mom got sick (pancreatic cancer), uncle died, brother in law died and now my mom died.- only constant was running. Running is me time.

Tessa, I'm so sorry to hear about your losses. You sound like a very strong person and I'm glad you found something to give you solace during those extremely difficult times.

My expanding stomach and thighs are what made me start running. It's been 4 yrs now, and I'm still working on the stomach but my thighs definately look better!

RagRabbit

Several years back, our daughter's x-country team was making it's last off-season appearance in a run just a few miles form the house.  I went just to be there.  A few minutes after the start (and seeing a lot of people I knew were participating too)...I decided it was too boring to stand around and wait for the finish...so I entered after they had already pulled up the timing mat.

Next year, I decided to actually train so I could run the same race.  Improved my time by >25 minutes from the year before.  Sure helped 1) not wearing sandals, 2) being in better shape to run, and 3) starting when the race did. 

Maggie & Molly

ex smoker (2 pack a day), asthma and poor eating = 225 lbs. took up running as a part of my road to recovery and health. 

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                      Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363