Training after completing c25k (Read 120 times)

Hello all!

I am a very new runner who started c25k 2 months ago after never running before and who is about to finish the program next week. I started running in order to lose weight (have lost 8 pounds so far) but have been hit by the running bug. I still run pretty slowly (finish the 5k in 38m when I do it which is 3 days a week) but I really want to increase my endurance and continue losing weight.

My question is, I'm thinking about doing a 10k training program after I finish the 5k one but also want to add interval training to the mix. Is that too much? I am really worried about overtraining since i'll be jumping from 3 days to 5 days a week of running and increasing my distance on my 3 training for a race running days, plus doing interval training which is pretty tough on the 2 other days.

I don't want to get injured and then not be able to run or not put in my all everyday because I am tired from so much running but I also want to up my game and hope that after 2 months I've built a solid foundation. Thoughts?

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Add either more mileage or more intensity but generally not both at the same time. Doing so invites injury. I think it is way too soon for you to be doing intervals. Work first on endurance by slowly adding days and mileage. Intervals are highly stressful and I think of limited value until you have a high level of endurance. Just run more, mostly slowy. On one or two days you can increase the pace a little bit. After a year of running, then think about intervals.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

It will be interesting to see the the different paths that two threads started with identical original posts will take ...

I agree that it's too early to start doing real interval training but I would also caution against doing nothing but slow/easy running either. It's a good idea to do *some* speed every week, even if it's just in the form of some strides or some 1-minute pickups in the middle of an otherwise easy run, once or twice a week.

Runners run

Zelanie

Hi!  I did C25K in 2012 and was finally able to run 5K in 38 minutes the week after I completed the program.

While everybody is different, what I did was to keep my pace the same, but gradually extend the distance I would run.  So I went from 3 miles at that slow, comfortable pace to 3.5 miles, then when that felt easy, I went to 4, etc.  What I found was that over time, my pace got much faster without me having to put any effort at all into speedwork.  I ran what felt like the same effort, and that gradually got faster.

The only "speedwork" I did was I entered a 5K race every month or so just to see how fast I could run when putting forth my best effort.  And my 5Ks got faster as the distance that I could run slowly got longer.  I didn't really try formal speedwork until a few months after I had completed my first 10K race.

Good luck to you!

obiebyke

Welcome to running! C25K is awesome. What I did was move to One Hour Runner after that. There's a user group here for Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners, but there hasn't been posting for a while. Google the OHR plan. I still don't do speedwork except for a little informal striding to cross a street or pass walkers quickly, but I'm up to regular 5 miles runs with a plan to run a New Year's Day 10K. Keep in touch with us!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

I'm with obiebyke- One Hour Runner is a great follow-up program to c25k.  After that, I went on to a half marathon training plan, and just completed my first one last week.  Be careful with introducing the speedwork too soon- I did that, and have been nursing a nasty case of shin splints ever since.  I don't plan to re-introduce any speedwork until I have a much more solid base.  Good luck, and congrats on finishing c25k!

Back in the saddle, after three years off...

Goals- To stay healthy and uninjured...

Thank you for all the advice! I will do one hour runner then. However, one of the big reasons I wanted to add intervals was in order to continue losing weight (I've stalled) and I've read that doing intervals is the best way to do so. Has anyone dealt with and overcome that? Thanks again!

Zelanie

fljoury,

I've lost just over 100 pounds, most of them before I started running, but the last 30 pounds I lost as a runner.  From what I've seen and experienced so far, weight loss happens in the kitchen, not on the run.

Exercise seems mostly closely related to maintaining weight loss more than losing weight.  And even then, running more miles will burn more calories than running fewer miles faster.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

weight loss happens in the kitchen, not on the run.

Exercise seems mostly closely related to maintaining weight loss more than losing weight.  And even then, running more miles will burn more calories than running fewer miles faster.

I agree with the above. I run 30 to 50 miles a week and the weight loss, when it comes, is from watching what I eat. That said, I think when totally weekly running gets up to 8 to 10 hours a week, then the weight loss happens pretty easily. I would not look to intervals to lose weight. In fact, I believe that if you are carrying lots of extra weight, then doing high intensity runs could invite injury. It is likely better to get some of that extra weight off by eating better and taking mostly long and slow runs. Then after the body gets leaner it will be better able to handle the high stress of intervals.

Don't be in such a hurry. If you get injured, which you likely will at some point, you will have a training set back. Just work on increasing the total weekly running time or mileage. Keep the increases to about 10% or less per week. On every 4th week, consider stepping down in time/mileage by about 20%, then continue increasing after that week of consolidation.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

Latent Runner

Thank you for all the advice! I will do one hour runner then. However, one of the big reasons I wanted to add intervals was in order to continue losing weight (I've stalled) and I've read that doing intervals is the best way to do so. Has anyone dealt with and overcome that? Thanks again!

I responded in the other thread you started and gave you the reasons why you should NOT do intervals at this point; your body just isn't ready and the chances of injury will be REAL HIGH.

FWIW, I 5'8" and was tipping the scales at over 250 as recently as mid-April, and now I'm down to 190.

What I have not done:

• Interval training or any other kind of speed work (with the exception of an occasional race).
                      • Watch what I eat; if it ain't nailed down, I eat it.

What I have done:

• Run lots and lots of long slow miles.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                      • 2-mile: 13:49
                      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                      • 5-Mile: 37:24
                      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

Thank you so much for all of your replies! I am going to do one hour runner and just follow the program.