Really new (Read 545 times)

Vintage

I am 47 years old, can barely run a mile and my son wants me to do a 10 mi in May, is that possible? I ran 2 miles today and now I feel like my legs have battery acid running through them. I have ran in the past but I always feel SO awful afterwards that I quit. My son printed out the 15K plan for me but just the thought of it frightens me. I excercise 5 days a week, but running is something that really does not come easy to me. It would mean the world to me if I could do this with my son but I am afraid I won't physically be able to do it. I have tried running outside when it is warm, which is not here right now but that seems to be worse. I run on a treadmill and I am afraid that once I have to run on the street I will completely fail. Any suggestions? Other than the fact that I am afraid and negative, which I am working on, I need some direction, May will be here before I know it! Thanks
      Time spent on your feet is most important in my opinion, run what you can and walk the rest. Dont push your workouts to the point of injury. You must be able to walk 10 miles before you can run it. Worry about how far and let how fast take care of its self. just my .02
      I love to eat, therefore I must run!

jfa

Welcome and Good Luck! Literally hundreds of us newbie runners got our start by using this plan.The trick is not to overdo it. Cool http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

See if you can find a copy of the "Couch to 5k" aka C25k plan (it used to be on Coolrunning - I'm sure somebody has a postable copy) . I was in reasonable-to-great shape ("gym" shape) when I started running, but shinsplints and this other thing called pain curtailed most of my attempts to start a running regimen until I tried C25k. A simple startup plan such as that will ease you in to running without injuring you. Once you reach 5k, 3x a week comfortably, you can gradually ramp up the distances. (d'oh - note to self - read all preceding posts before posting. Black eye )
          bridgerunner

laced up!

Welcome to the forum Vintage Smile ! Since you mentioned you work out five days a week, I would assume that you are in pretty good physical health, and your doctor will approve of a new running régime. If so, my first suggestion would be to make sure you are fitted in the proper running shoes. Having the right shoe to run in, especially when SLOWLY building up mileage, can make a huge difference! Next, I would start out with a walk/run plan, and then ease into your longer mileage. A general rule of thumb to remember is to gradually increase your mileage no more than 10% per week. It sounds as if your main objective is to gain the ability to run along side your son in the upcoming race in May. I would have concerns about pacing; to be able to finish your ten-mile run, you need to run at your pace. And please, make sure you hydrate well and often. Keep your training fun and realistic Cool! Good luck to you, and please let us know of your progress.
            Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hi, Vintage! I'm 45. I used the Couch to 5k program, also, and it definitely changed my life. I couldn't run a quarter mile when I started. Now I'm up to running 5 miles non-stop (it's taken me a year and 2 months to get to this point). Now my plan is to increase my long run a half mile every two weeks. Doing this, I should be able to run a half marathon at the end of September. Remember that it's OK to walk some during a long race! You sound a lot like me - running does NOT come easy to me. I would encourage you to increase your runs VERY gradually. Don't overdo it!!! My knees started hurting at one point, so I backed off a little and I've had no trouble since. Do you have good shoes from a real running store (not Olympia Sports)? The other thing that has helped me was to find a running partner. We make each other run! This morning it was 8 degrees, and neither of us particularly felt like going out, but we did! We made it 5 miles, and we felt on top of the world at the end of the run! I would also recommend running OUTSIDE - if I can do it in MAINE, in cold, snow, and ice, you can do it, too! Once you get your butt out the door, 10 degrees is SO much nicer to run in than 70. Really!! Time goes by much faster outdoors than on the treadmill, too. Good luck! I wish I could emphasize enough that if I can do this, anyone can (assuming their health is OK). I was the poster child for "non-runner" and now I'm addicted to the sport. Teresa

Another Passion

Totally doable Vintage. Set aside the fact that you don't enjoy running for right now. That will come later as you get used to it. Make sure you have good shoes (preferably fitted by a local running shop) and don't try to do too much, too fast, too soon. Go out slow and keep the mileage low to begin with adding a bit each week or as you feel capable. The others' advice on the C25K program is good, I have heard of a lot of people that started running with that program. You've got plenty of time and, you don't have to set any record in May, your son just wants you to run a race with him, which is the goal. Wink

Rick
                "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                runningforcassy.blogspot.com