Genes and performances: Why some are more equal than others (Read 1706 times)

Feeling the growl again

Yes, that would be great. In principle one could get that by looking at what the genes containing those SNPs are thought to actually do -- I haven't looked at it in that much detail yet. I doubt that at present I'll get much insight on how to bias my training, but that day is probably not far away.

Perhaps the SNPs are not all located inside genes.  Wouldn't that confound analysis further.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I'm with Spaniel, the SNPs may well be located outside of genes.  They may be in LD with SNPs that are in genes (so basically the SNP that they show in the study is a marker for the genotype at a number of other SNPs).  You could find out about LD easily enough, and some of the SNPs  may be close to genes so you could postulate a role in regulation of expression of that gene.  However you won't really know which SNP in that LD block (or SNPs) are mediating changes on athletic potential until you've done further studies.  Assuming it is in a gene, then you might be able to deduce something about how to change your training, but, that gene may well be something that regulates expression of other things, and biology is stacked full of regulatory feedback loops by proteins, so realistically you start getting into quite complex analyses, because you'd need to know what all the other variants you possessed were doing.   Even if you do know the gene you don't know how the minor allele versus the major-allele (ie the ability-associated G instead of the A or whatever it happens to be) of the SNP impacts gene function.

People are only just getting to grips with all the things that the massive regions of apparently "non-coding" DNA do, and the SNPs may well fall in one of these more empty regions...quite likely gene regulation in some way still, but going by the microRNA side of things there could be quite a few genes regulated by just one miRNA, so again complicating things further.

Then you need to repeat for all the other SNPs apparently related to athletic potential.

As scout said a haplotype analysis (ie the combination of SNPs involved) could be interesting, and this may well be out there or soon to be out there.  However I suppose they'll be limited by the power of any studies.  Even with that though I don't know what you'll really learn, plus I would still guess that the effect size of even the most optimum haplotype is rather small in comparison to other factors that you can control.

It's cool seeing the number of variants that are potentially involved in response to training.

Sorry if this has all been said in the article, I've not sat down to read it yet, but just thought I'd butt in anyway!  Work avoidance is a wonderful thing.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Feeling the growl again

going by the microRNA side of things there could be quite a few genes regulated by just one miRNA, so again complicating things further.

Well played.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

...and each of those miRNA-regulated genes can potentially regulate a number of other genes, which can regulate a number of other genes....and then my head explodes!

MTA: I'm assuming you weren't being sarcastic Spaniel!  I'm distracted by thoughts of fluorescent things now, so that's probably better for everyone.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'm with Spaniel, the SNPs may well be located outside of genes.  They may be in LD with SNPs that are in genes (so basically the SNP that they show in the study is a marker for the genotype at a number of other SNPs).  You could find out about LD easily enough, and some of the SNPs  may be close to genes so you could postulate a role in regulation of expression of that gene.  However you won't really know which SNP in that LD block (or SNPs) are mediating changes on athletic potential until you've done further studies.  Assuming it is in a gene, then you might be able to deduce something about how to change your training, but, that gene may well be something that regulates expression of other things, and biology is stacked full of regulatory feedback loops by proteins, so realistically you start getting into quite complex analyses, because you'd need to know what all the other variants you possessed were doing.   Even if you do know the gene you don't know how the SNP impacts gene function..

People are only just getting to grips with all the things that the massive regions of apparently "non-coding" DNA do, and the SNPs may well fall in one of these more empty regions...quite likely gene regulation in some way still, but going by the microRNA side of things there could be quite a few genes regulated by just one miRNA, so again complicating things further.

Then you need to repeat for all the other SNPs apparently related to athletic potential.

As scout said a haplotype analysis (ie the combination of SNPs involved) could be interesting, and this may well be out there or soon to be out there.  However I suppose they'll be limited by the power of any studies.  Even with that though I don't know what you'll really learn, plus I would still guess that the effect size of even the most optimum haplotype is rather small in comparison to other factors that you can control.

It's cool seeing the number of variants that are potentially involved in response to training.

Sorry if this has all been said in the article, I've not sat down to read it yet, but just thought I'd butt in anyway!  Work avoidance is a wonderful thing.

GDMNT woman. Nice arms.

Wow.

Just. Wow.

Nice arms.

There's probably a few SNPs for that.   Not to mention the ones for great calves.

jpdeaux

GDMNT woman. Nice arms.

Wow.

Just. Wow.

Hey. When you got it, flaunt it.