Ever have to force yourself to take a night off? (Read 1120 times)

I'm sure we've all experienced the lack of motivation or being tired and skipping a workout or two or at least wanting to skip. However have you ever experience the opposite where you don't want to take a night off, you feel great, you feel like running, but you know that you should take a rest. I get this feeling sometimes. I just had it on Monday night. I had run 5 days straight, nothing over 6.5 miles and total for the week was only 25 miles which is close to my avg.. Friday and Monday nights are usually my nights off, but my training schedules have been off the past few weeks. I knew I had a 5K race coming up on Wednesday night and would be a light workout on Tuesday and so I really felt like running, but then knew that I'd be running at least 8 straight days if I didn't take the night off. So my inner concious won and I forced myself to take the night off and I do mean forced myself! I instead did some strength work out at home. I'm just curious if anyone else has this conflict? Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Future running partner.

I'd say that was a good decision. It's better to error on the side of safety by not running one workout than having to miss weeks due to an injury or having your races suffer due to overtraining. You will likely find that there are periods of time where you feel invincable Evil grin, these can be dangerous because you end up doing more than what you have scheduled and you feel good. Sooner or later this catches up to you so you end up having make an unscheduled cut back Black eye.
        Yeah I had to do that yesterday. My knee was giving me issues, and I was all ready to go out for a run because I was feeling great otherwise (did my first 30 mile week last week and want to keep it up!). But I figured I'm leaving for boot camp friday and their is no use hurting my knee. So I took the day off and went for a 4.5 mile walk instead lol.
          Ok, just to spice things up ... I'll take the opposite side of this argument. Big grin If you're feeling good, why not go out for an 2-3 mile run. Maybe pick a new route or just go out and enjoy the scenery. Since you're feeling good it could be a sign that your body is ready to progress to from 5 days/week to 6 days/week or adding a few more miles. With the race on Wedneday, I don't see a problem with a short run to prime the pump.

Slow-smooth-fast

I have been trying to talk myself out of running for the past 2 weeks. Not had a day off in this time. I am due one, but I feel fresh at some point in the day, and then think, what the hell. When I get home from work I am out the door

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ok, just to spice things up ... I'll take the opposite side of this argument. Big grin If you're feeling good, why not go out for an 2-3 mile run. Maybe pick a new route or just go out and enjoy the scenery. Since you're feeling good it could be a sign that your body is ready to progress to from 5 days/week to 6 days/week or adding a few more miles. With the race on Wedneday, I don't see a problem with a short run to prime the pump.
              +1
              mikeymike

I take every night off.

Runners run

Giants Fan

I tend to try and let my body tell me when its time for a night off. If I'm feeling good, even if its a scheduled day off, I'll go out and do an easy 3. If I'm supposed to run, its an easy day (or even when its not) if my body is sluggish, I'm tired, and crabby, I take it off anyway. I really try to let my body regulate when its a day to rest and when its not. CC

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

I did that yesterday... I forced myself to take a day off. My body felt fine... I wanted to run BUT... why wait to rest until something makes me rest... isn't that just tempting fate a bit too much
                      No I've never taken the dayoff of running if I've felt good. As a matter of fact I am following a Marathon training schedule and it called for a dayoff last Monday. I ran 2km at a warmup pace instead. I wanted To keep my consecutive running day streak alive. Currently 78 days! Each person is different though, so if you took the dayoff you probably needed it, if for no other reason than the mental aspect of it. If it makes you feel more comfortable by all means do it, or not. Big grin

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

I tend to try and let my body tell me when its time for a night off. If I'm feeling good, even if its a scheduled day off, I'll go out and do an easy 3. If I'm supposed to run, its an easy day (or even when its not) if my body is sluggish, I'm tired, and crabby, I take it off anyway. I really try to let my body regulate when its a day to rest and when its not. CC
                        x2. I never have to schedule. Some work/life thing will take care of that for me. No run this morning b/c I was up too late watching the Celtics become world champs!!!!! Had to get that in today. Big grin

Carly E

Carly

I say do what you feel like, because whatever your body is telling you is right. Feel great, run. Because that's you body's way of telling you to go exercise. Feel sucky, you need a break. That's my simple philosophy.
                          Running is like Mouthwash; if you feel the burn, it's working.
                            Yes, I do this quite a bit to keep myself from overtraining. My body may feel good but I know better. I've been down that road with my first marathon and I don't want to do it agian.
                            Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
                              Seems, to be two different camps on the subject. One side says to take the rest and the other side to run by feel and if you feel good, run. I have to admit, that I'm more of the run as I feel, but try to listen to that little birdie that says be careful, don't overdue it and hurt yourself. I really wanted to run on Monday and I think I would have if I didn't have the 5K race on Wednesday. I also knew that if I didn't take the night off I would have to run 8 or 9 days in a row and didn't think that as as smart either. note: I do not like to take the day before a Race off because I find my legs tend to be dead So I ran my 5K race last night with pretty good success, but my timing was way off for mile two (too slow). On the plus side though, I finished really strong with my fastest recorded mile (actually 1.1 mile) finishing in a 6:41 pace. My previous best was a 6:55 mile 5 of a 5 miler. Thanks everyone for your opinions and I look forward to hearing more.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Future running partner.

I'd say that was a good decision. It's better to error on the side of safety by not running one workout than having to miss weeks due to an injury or having your races suffer due to overtraining. You will likely find that there are periods of time where you feel invincable Evil grin, these can be dangerous because you end up doing more than what you have scheduled and you feel good. Sooner or later this catches up to you so you end up having make an unscheduled cut back Black eye.
                                There is a flipside to what I have said previously that some of you have pointed out. I think depending on the situation a decision has to be made. If there is an important race looming or you have a limited time to prepare for a race then its better to stay on the side of caution as I said above. However, if you are in a base training phase, or your not training for any specific race, its actualy good to take a chance and push yourself, especialy when you are feeling good. This is how you gain maturity as a runner, because you gain a better understanding of what your personal limts are. Do you really need a day off 2 days before a race? Can you handle more miles/week? This kind of stuff allows you to maximize your training later on. Wink