Bah, Bloody Blisters! (Read 648 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

How's that for alliteration?! So I am still loving my new shoes, but my right heel is less-than-thrilled...but that seems to be my troublesome foot, in general (my right foot was the one to have a chronic, small blister issue on the inside of my foot in my last pair of shoes. Lefty has never been a problem). Anyhow, I did a long run today and after a mile or so my right heel was bugging me, so I stopped and tied my shoe tighter to see if that would help, but it didn't. After a while it stopped hurting, for the most part, so I figured maybe the heel of my shoe had broken-in better to accomodate my heel--wrong. When I got home I looked down and was suprised to see the back of my sock all bloody, as well as the inside of the achilles tendon area of the shoe (wahhh...blood on my pretty new shoes! ). So what might be a solution to the problem? I'm kind of wondering if a different sock might help. While these (Asics technical sock of some sort) are very snug through the toes, they are designed to fit a range of foot sizes, so there is some slack at the back of the sock, right where I am blistering. I've used moleskin in the past, but find that it tends to sweat off and I think a loose piece of moleskin floating around back there might make matters worse. I'm guessing that some of my issue is due to having wide feel through the toes and ball of my feet (my shoes are wides), but not-so-wide heels (buying dress shoes has long been a MAJOR PITA for me, as a result--one reason I love clogs). k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

I've used moleskin in the past, but find that it tends to sweat off and I think a loose piece of moleskin floating around back there might make matters worse. k
      Have you tried a large piece of molefoam? I've found that a piece about 3" x 3" doesn't come off when I'm running, hiking, whatever... Good luck!

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ooh, I've never even seen that--how is it different? I will have to keep my eyes open. I was talking to my MIL and she said that her sister (who runs several marathons/year, or at least did in the past) swears by some double-layer socks of some sort. Anyone know what those might be? I'm intrigued by the idea of one layer that would stay close to my skin and an outside layer to slide-around and absorb friction. k

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

It's like moleskin, except it's a little ... um... foamy. Blush For lack of a better word... It's maybe an extra millimeter thick, but the cushion makes a difference (to me!). Plus, remember you're going to want to cut the thing BIG in order to keep it in place anyway. Unfortunately you're right that a piece the size of the area you want to cover won't stay on... Sad You should be able to find molefoam at the same type of camping/outdoor store that I'm guessing you found the moleskin in. I don't know anything about technical socks. Good luck!

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I found the moleskin at Meijer (kind of like Super Wal-Mart, only less grody). I don't recall seeing much selection of foot-care stuff, but an outdoors place is a good suggestion. We do have a few of those worth checking. Maybe even a shoe store would carry it. k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...I just read several things that recommended duct tape for blister prevention. Why does this not surprise me? It's supposed to be THE thing for warts, too. Between duct tape and Windex I think we've got all bases covered. Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

I swear by my Smart Wool socks. Haven't had a blister ever wearing a pair of them!!
                So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I definitely want to try a pair of these at some point, but I'm still not down with wearing wool socks in the Summer, LOL! Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

You won't even know they are wool!! Seriously, I can run 10 miles in the heat & humidity, drenched in sweat from head to ankle & I will have dust between my toes because my feet are so dry. And that is no exageration, I've shown Lacey when I have come back from a good sweaty run! Even my thicker pairs of Smart Wool's are not too warm at all.
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Well, it is common knowledge that you are a freak, though... Wink The running store near us carries them, so I really should pick up a pair--the price tag just makes me wince. This sport is rapidly sending us to the poor house. Every time I think I have all the gear I need the seasons change or my needs change. Ugh. Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

Well, it is common knowledge that you are a freak, though... Wink The running store near us carries them, so I really should pick up a pair--the price tag just makes me wince. This sport is rapidly sending us to the poor house. Every time I think I have all the gear I need the seasons change or my needs change. Ugh. Tongue k
                        A freak?? Did you all hear that?? With best friends like her, who the hell needs an enemy?? Wink As for the price, go to sierratradingpost.com. They usually have them on sale/clearance, sometimes for just $4/pair. And they are totally worth every dime of the $10-15/pair you might have to spend. I mean, bloodless shoes is worth $10, right?? Big grin
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

A freak?? Did you all hear that?? With best friends like her, who the hell needs an enemy?? Wink As for the price, go to sierratradingpost.com. They usually have them on sale/clearance, sometimes for just $4/pair. And they are totally worth every dime of the $10-15/pair you might have to spend. I mean, bloodless shoes is worth $10, right?? Big grin
                          Birds of a feather...or is that nerds of a feather...? I love Sierra Trading Post. I'm sure I could find other things there too. I should see if they have any windpants that might work for Fall. k

~ Sarah Kay

Let me know what you find. As soon as we win the lotto, I can start shopping for running stuff again! Wink
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Damn, nothing in my size in those socks--unless I want black. Meh. I will keep my eyes open. No pants there that aren't capris or too long (story of my life), anyhow. k

~ Sarah Kay

I hear you!!! Ok, must sleep. Last night was a very late night & Rachel & I might have had a little too much wine, cider & beer...