Marathon pee stops revisited (Read 151 times)

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Being as the body holds more water with carbs consumed could too many carbs leading

up to a marathon be the cause of having to pee rather than too much hydration?

steph  

I am going to say no on this based on experience. I rarely drink water the morning before a big run and I normally don't have to pee during those long runs. BUT  I do insane carb loading the night before and morning of.  I think if you drink enough water,( carb loaded, salt loaded or not) you will have to pee. Plain and simple.

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

I am going to say no on this based on experience. I rarely drink water the morning before a big run and I normally don't have to pee during those long runs. BUT  I do insane carb loading the night before and morning of.  I think if you drink enough water,( carb loaded, salt loaded or not) you will have to pee. Plain and simple.

Yes. From what I gather, it comes down to cutting off drinking an hour or so before the run.  And, during the race, drinking just enough.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I've gotten to the point that I only have a small cup of coffee the morning of a race.  And as little

water as possible.  Maybe a small sip of water later after coffee.  And I sure don't drink extra water

the day before.   Still have to pee...So I thought maybe since carbs / glycogen hold more water?

steph  

bhearn

Yes, the extra muscle glycogen holds more water. But... it holds more water. It doesn't let it go, until you burn it. And by that point, your blood volume is down due to sweating anyway, so the water returning to your blood just mitigates that. Win win.

The biggest difference I've ever noticed has nothing to do with how much you drink, although I try to keep drinking to a minimum.  For me the weather is the predominant factor that determines how likely I'll need to urinate during a long run.  What it comes down to is the hotter it is outdoors, the less likely I'll urinate.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Thanks guys.  I guess I'll just have to stop the coffee all together and see

how that works.  Next long race. Smile

steph