Vibram or Merrell? Hmm... (Read 1614 times)

So, my point, while the Merrills and VFFs will help transition to fore/mid foot landing form, they might not completely eliminate some heel landings for ya.

Yes, it'll be really interesting to see how this goes, especially at anything faster than 10K pace where I get sloppy unless I'm really paying attention.

Hoban-Jay

Vibrams...no question. 

Sometimes I wear regular running shoes (Saucony ProGrid) sometimes Vibrams and sometimes just Ol' Stinkies (barefoot).  The diversity of equipment allows you to use all (or at least different) muscles, tendons and ligaments of your feet, ankles and calves, keeping them strong and reducing the need to have injuries on a regular basis.

bdub

Shoe Alarmist

I don't run much.  So I own a pair of each.  I prefer the Merrell's for not looking like an idiot when walking around town.  Of course, that only takes care of my feet.  The rest of me still looks pretty dumb.  The Merrell's do work well for me regarding room in the toe box and an overall good fit.  I bought them a size bigger so I could wear them with socks.  I really do like my Merrell's. 

Jcellucci

I have an interesting problem. I own a set of vibram kso's that i purchased maybe a year ago. I haven't worn them much recently cause I've been doing bag work with punches and kicks for about 6 months now. 4 months ago I broke my toe lightly on a bag but it is now fully healed. The other day I wanted to use my KSO's for a run and after my 2 hours bag work and I faced a serious problem. Every toe fit perfectly like they used to except for the left index toe that I broke. I feels very scrunched and I don't know why. It is as if the toe is too long for the pocket and feel curled slightly. The effect of this scrunched toe when I run is a slight stubbing feeling with every step. What should I do. Personally, I want to switch over to a boxed toe shoe, but I need some help choosing. I want to know if these Merrill barefoot roads, or in fact any of the Merrill barefoot shoes are any good? Also how are the New Balance barefoot ones I keep seeing in this thread? I'm looking for something minimal, durable, and versatile. 

Don't overstride!

I don't run much.  So I own a pair of each.  I prefer the Merrell's for not looking like an idiot when walking around town.  Of course, that only takes care of my feet.  The rest of me still looks pretty dumb.  The Merrell's do work well for me regarding room in the toe box and an overall good fit.  I bought them a size bigger so I could wear them with socks.  I really do like my Merrell's. 

+1 on the extra size!

Hobby Jogger Especial!

My vote is for VFFs hands down.  I have both VFFs and Merrells and have run in both.  I like the VFFs better because they are more flexible and less stiff feeling.  The Merrells are great shoes and I do occasionally put them on in wet or snowy conditions, but I much prefer my VFFs. I have almost every model they make.

If you can't wear VFFs or don't want to, you may want to check out the Altra Adams or Sampson, the Inov-8 Bare-x line or the NB Minimus Zeros.

Edited to add:  I only wear socks if its REALLY cold. When I do, I use the Injinji liners, the thinnest ones they make.  I much prefer going sockless though.

The Terminator

I wear Merrell Pace Gloves and I like them.  However, I've never worn VFF, so... sorry for not adding anything to this conversation.

"In the South, the cotillion of Machiavelli is played as a soft-shoe, in three-quarter time." - Pat Conroy