Cover Letter (Read 901 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I am applying for a job at a new fitness club down near did's work (and Dane's school...I'm determined we will live down that way, again). The resume is the relatively easy part...here's my ROUGH cover letter. I'd appreicate any feedback: ~~~~~ September 15, 2007 To Whom it May Concern: The accompanying resumé is in response to your job listing in the Muskegon Chronicle for a Customer Service Representative. As my credentials show, I have previous experience in several positions that require considerable rapport with the public. I am particularly interested in this position as it coordinates well with my personal interests. My related work experiences, combined with my enjoyment of physical fitness and ability to work with people of all ages and backgrounds would prepare me well to work with the public in a health club environment. Since earning my second BA I have spent the past 6 years at home raising my son. In my spare time, I've enjoyed working independently as a candid portrait photographer and conducting in-home parties with The Body Shop at Home. In the past few years I have lost 50 lbs and nearly 18 months ago I rediscovered running and have since trained for and competed in an average of 6 races per year in distances from 5k to 25k, with the goal of running a full marathon in 2008. In addition to running I also enjoy working out at home using free weights, so I am no stranger to the benefits of excercise for weight loss and overall physical fitness. I'm confident that my academic and employment background, solid work ethic, enjoyment of regular exercise, and outgoing personality make me a well-rounded candidate for this position. I look forward to discussing your needs and my qualifications in more detail. Thank you in advance for your consideration. Sincerely, Kirsten .....

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Along for the Ride

Kirsten - having gone through cover letters recently myself ... This one is great! I personally would leave the races out. It distracts a little bit from the other points. Maybe like that? ... In the past few years I have lost 50 lbs. Nearly 18 months ago I rediscovered running and have since trained for and competed in multiple races of various distances. In addition to running I also enjoy working out at home using free weights, so I am no stranger to the benefits of excercise for weight loss and overall physical fitness. ... Good luck with the application!! Smile You would probably get a free or heavily discounted gym membership "on the side" Wink

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Good luck with the application!! Smile You would probably get a free or heavily discounted gym membership "on the side" Wink
        Heh, I KNOW!!! Plus their staffed hours are generally 9-3, 5 days/week, so minimal nights, no weekends, no holidays...I don't care if it pays peanuts! That's just the thing to pay for my little running addiction! And I could take Dane to and from school (5 minutes from the club) most days, since he starts at 8:30 and is done at 3:30. How perfect! And it would be more incentive to move down that way, since did also works in that area. We would both be commuting 40 minutes to work. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

You'll ruin your knees!

Nice job, K! On the part about conducting in-home parties, is there a different way to describe this without using parties? I don't know what The Body Shop at Home is, but assume this involved some demonstration, marketing and/or sale of products...play this up. Best of luck, Lynn

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Heh, I KNOW!!! Plus their staffed hours are generally 9-3, 5 days/week, so minimal nights, no weekends, no holidays...I don't care if it pays peanuts! That's just the thing to pay for my little running addiction! And I could take Dane to and from school (5 minutes from the club) most days, since he starts at 8:30 and is done at 3:30. How perfect! And it would be more incentive to move down that way, since did also works in that area. We would both be commuting 40 minutes to work. Smile k
            Free membership all the way (worked at a gym right before having twins.) Talk about an awesome Job Kirsten! Good luck and GREAT cover letter!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Nice job, K! On the part about conducting in-home parties, is there a different way to describe this without using parties? I don't know what The Body Shop at Home is, but assume this involved some demonstration, marketing and/or sale of products...play this up. Best of luck, Lynn
              Well the resume describes what my job responsibilities were, so I don't want to get too redundant (BTW, TBS is the store in the mall with all the amazing smelling lotions--like Bath & Body Works, only no animal testing involved and way less headache-inducing scents). Pam, it does sound perfect. I hope the fact I live 40 minutes away isn't an issue for them. k

~ Sarah Kay

I hope the fact I live 40 minutes away isn't an issue for them. k
                Sounds great! I don't know why the distance would matter as long as you didn't have a problem getting there on time. Good luck Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

Well the resume describes what my job responsibilities were, so I don't want to get too redundant (BTW, TBS is the store in the mall with all the amazing smelling lotions--like Bath & Body Works, only no animal testing involved and way less headache-inducing scents). Pam, it does sound perfect. I hope the fact I live 40 minutes away isn't an issue for them. k
                  I can't imagine it will.Definetly sounds like the perfect job! Hey maybe you could work your way up into being a Personal Trainer! Ya never know Wink

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Nice siggy Wink Big grin

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                    Thyroid Support Group

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I can't imagine it will.Definetly sounds like the perfect job! Hey maybe you could work your way up into being a Personal Trainer! Ya never know Wink
                        The funny thing is a couple of months back I was doing a little research into what it would take to get certified to do that--I think I come from a unique perspective as a 30-something mom who has been obese and still battles chub. If I were to get that job and really enjoy it, then that's something I would likely look into further. k

~ Sarah Kay

Why is it sideways?

Did you put RA mother-hen on your resume? Big grin
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Did you put RA mother-hen on your resume? Big grin
                            No, but I should...and I could even promote RA on the job--woot! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Why is it sideways?

Maybe Eric could write you a rec--what would this site be without zoomers?
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Maybe Eric could write you a rec--what would this site be without zoomers?
                                Ooh...that would be a funny rec. For someone he's never met IRL. For all he knows I could be a 480# man named Hank! Wink k

~ Sarah Kay