Just started running 2 weeks ago and just found out I'm pregnant... (Read 983 times)

Hello Everyone, I know I will be asking my doctor about this, but I thought I'd throw this question out to the community and see what I get. I just started running 2 weeks ago, and I absolutely love it, but now I find out I am pregnant. I don't want to do anything to jeopradize the baby, so I am wondering if it is ok to run while still being pregnant. I've heard of women who have been runners for a long time continue to run, but never about someone who just took up running. I used to be pretty active at the gym until we moved a couple months ago, but my job keeps me walking alot too - but I do know walking and running feel completely different. So, what have you all found?
    . . . . * . . Peace & Blessings . . * . . . . * . . * * . . * . . * * * * * * * * . . * . .* * . . * . . * . . . . * . . * . .

Giants Fan

Talk with your doctor first and foremost. A lot depends on your history, etc. Other than that...I ran with my first pregnancy up until 6 months. After that, I just got too big (way too many double chocolate chip malts!) But with my second pregnancy I wasn't cleared for activity until after the first trimester because of medical history...and by then, all I was cleared for was moderate (so I walked). So, talk to your ob/gyn and good luck! Let us know what you decide to do! p.s. CONGRATULATIONS on the baby! CC

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

JakeKnight

There's a great article in the March 2008 Runner's World about Paula Radcliffe (marathon world record holder) running while she was pregnant. The doctors gave her pretty basic advice: keep your heart rate low (below 80% max), no hard stuff or really long stuff, and listen to your body. Which for Paula apparently meant "only" doing 70 miles per week when she was 7 months along and "only" "jogging" a 10-k race in 42 flat when she was 6 months pregnant. Obviously she's not entirely human, but I'd guess the advice is similar (but scaled down) for mere mortals.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

Go Daddy

I don't think there is a connection...but I will pass this on to my sister in law who has been trying to conceive for three years.

Talk to your doctor about it. The general rules that I'm aware of allow for running through pregnancy (and encourage it) but that is usually for people that have already been running. Since you are new to running, it may be too much stress. That will depend (as mentioned) on your history and circumstances (such as how active you were outside of running) but you'll need to be more cautious than somebody that has been running for a while. Talk to your doctor and get their opinion. Worst case scenario, you'll stick to walking during the pregnancy and then you'll have a lot of fast gains to be made after the birth if you can find the time (and energy) to start running then.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

chrimbler

I never knew running could get you pregnant...and in only 2 weeks!!...WOW!!! Big grin
              Run like you stole it!

A Saucy Wench

I ran through my pregnancy, Highly recommend James Clapps "Exercising through your pregnancy" Since you are new to running the most important thing is to REALLY listen to your body. I was not terribly fit the first pg and had to quit running early. I had an ok base the second and was able to maintain and even increase distance although time was sloowwwwwwing greatly.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Congratulations! Definitely talk to your doctor, just to be safe. Good luck! Smile

Michelle

Mitch & Pete's Mom

I ran through my pregnancy, Highly recommend James Clapps "Exercising through your pregnancy" .
                    I agree! It is a great book, but of course it is up to your doctor. My story is bizarre, I ran the Rock n' Roll marathon not realizing that I was preggers. duh! I thought it was just a little overtraining. I balled my head off in the doctor's office when he told me just how far along I was! I ran slow, short distances through most of the pregnancy when I was feeling up to it. I also did lots of walking and swimming. I had a 9.1 lb 22 inch baby and only gained 30 lbs. My boy is know a very healthy 6 year old who likes to brag he has already run his first marathon. He ran his first 1/2 mile race a few weeks ago and came in 13th out of 373 kids. Congrats and take it sloooow.
                    Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
                    jeffdonahue

Congratulations!!!! Check with your doctor but I have known women that have run right into their 3rd trimester.
                        I ran til about 5 months along with baby #1 (but, I didn't know I was pg at the time), then to 7 months with baby #2, but like some others here, I had been running before. As long as your doctor okays it, you should be alright, just take it easy. Because I was being extra cautious with #1 (plus we had just moved to a new state), I stopped running and just went to the gym, used the stairmaster and weight machines (very gently). With #2, one day the stomach was just out there, and I figured I had better be safe than sorry, so walked every day after I could no longer run. Congratulations, and good luck!
                        Dorsey

San Diego 1997: 4:59:59, San Diego 1999: 4:37:23, Carlsbad 2008: 6:32:21, America's Finest City Half Aug 2008: ??

"Run if you can. Walk if you must. Crawl if you have to. Just don't give up."
                        Lisa3.1

Hi Andrea, Congratulations. I, too, could be pregnant. I thought I could be a few weeks ago, but I could be now. and if I am, I am postponing races, but plan to run for a little while.

Bugs

I never knew running could get you pregnant...and in only 2 weeks!!...WOW!!! Big grin
                            Male runner's are hard to resist. Stock, whatever exercise you choose be sure to stay properly hydrated. It's a big deal.

Bugs

Lisa3.1

Talk to your doctor about it. The general rules that I'm aware of allow for running through pregnancy (and encourage it) but that is usually for people that have already been running. Since you are new to running, it may be too much stress. That will depend (as mentioned) on your history and circumstances (such as how active you were outside of running) but you'll need to be more cautious than somebody that has been running for a while. Talk to your doctor and get their opinion. Worst case scenario, you'll stick to walking during the pregnancy and then you'll have a lot of fast gains to be made after the birth if you can find the time (and energy) to start running then.
                              and I agree with what he said.