Tightness behind ball of my foot. (Read 50 times)

Hi, first post to this community! I hope someone can help. I've recently put back on the distance shoes and while I love it, the last couple of runs (12 mile, and today's 6 mile) I'm experiencing a tightness right behind the ball of my right foot. It's not real painful but noticeably tight. As a 43 yr old guy I don't want to ignore anything. I'm a mid-foot striker and I think a LOT about my form. Today was actually the fastest 6 miles I've ever run in my life with a 7:05 pace and I really want to explore where I can take this, so I'm looking for advice on how to proceed so that I don't injure myself.

Thanks -

jared.

kilkee

runktrun

Congrats on getting back into running.

A few things come to mind based on your limited description:

Metatarsalgia - basically vague inflammation in and around the joint of one of your metatarsals and your toe; it typically is described as more painful than tight, but maybe it's presenting differently.

Mortons Neuroma - irritation of the nerve and tissue between your third and fourth toes; again, usually more painful than tight.

Metatarsal bone stress injury - or you may hear "stress fracture" or "stress reaction," but essentially your bones are always breaking down and rebuilding, but the process is balanced to keep them strong enough for impact.  You can usually treat bone stress injuries by staying off the affected limb and resting using pain as your guide. If you can walk around with NO PAIN, then you can try to start running.  The minute running hurts, STOP and rest until you are completely pain free when walking again.

Bizarre manifestation of plantar fasciitis? Try rolling your foot on a golf ball.

My bet is you're feeling achey and tight from too much too soon and there probably isn't anything really wrong.  Cut back your mileage, take a few days off, and see if it improves.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Ok. I'll do that. I took last week off but I still may need to start just a bit slower. I found a ball this morning and will be all over that. Thanks so much!