Local Running Shop: loyalty (Read 798 times)

Melton

I really like my LRS, but they're a half hour drive from me, plus they don't have the color options and the discounts that Running Warehouse has.  I do like the support them, though, so I'll often go and check out their apparel and buy something every other month or so.  I also like supporting the events they put on.  It's just not as convenient to get there as it is to order online.

I understand all the arguments for LRS's, but RW offers free 2 day shipping, free return shipping, no fed/state taxes, 10 and 15% discount codes on already low prices, 90 day try 'em out, return them free for a full refund if you don't love them guarantee, price matching (they've matched prices for me a month out), I mean, are you kidding me?  lol

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I understand all the arguments for LRS's, but RW offers free 2 day shipping, free return shipping, no fed/state taxes, 10 and 15% discount codes on already low prices, 90 day try 'em out, return them free for a full refund if you don't love them guarantee, price matching (they've matched prices for me a month out), I mean, are you kidding me?  lol

True, as far as online experiences go, Running Warehouse does a great job.  I'm currently in the process of exchanging some apparel items I got for Christmas that didn't fit like I thought they would.

But for shoes, and to a slightly lesser extent, apparel, it's tough to beat the immediacy.  I was casting about for a good speedwork shoe last year.  I'll spare us the details, but by the time I got the combination of model and size right, I'd returned two pairs of shoes and a couple of weeks had gone by.  Running Warehouse was great throughout the whole process, but I still would rather have walked into a store, tried some shoes on, and gone for a run in them that day.  And for that matter, I've gone on several runs since Christmas that I sure would have liked to wear my new jacket and pants for.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

If you use ONE model shoe and its manufacturer doesn't change it, then yeah, I can see online shopping being hard to argue with.  When Brooks updated the Glycerin 8 and I didn't like the new 9, I tried on at least 6-8 different shoes at the LRS.  Imagine the cost carried on my credit card, not to mention the length of time, if I'd tried to do that shoe-replacement via an online store.

But the point here was the treatment a guy got when he had a problem with an expensive piece of gear that was also probably out of warranty.  Much as I like RW, I don't think they would have just replaced it without blinking.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Man, that reminded me of when I was looking for racing flats (5-10k).  I walked into Jus' Running in Asheville NC, tried on five different models, ignored two more at the advice of the very knowledgeable sales guy, and walked it with new shoes that fit me great.  (And they discounted them 30% at the register when I mentioned that I visit Asheville a few times a year and always try to swing by.)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

I went to my LRS once. [it's run by the same folks who have a certain marathon plan that's currently "popular" here on RA]

Was treated badly. Found the selection to be poor and prices to be high.

I will not go back.

I have not visited the other LRS as it is not exactly local to me. However, I have purchased shoes from them - via their website. And, I'm friendly with a number of their employees and folks on their ultra running team.

I do enjoy supporting local businesses - and am willing to spend a bit more to do so in return for the value they bring. But, I'm not going an hour and a half out of my way to purchase a commodity - esp one that is likely not stocked at all or in stock in my size.

Liz

pace sera, sera

Ojo

I love my LRS because they know me so well.  I walked in recently to get a new pair of shoes and they told me they special ordered a pair (I wear a popular size and model) for me because they thought it was about time for me to need a new pair.  My only problem is that I tend to spend too much money every time I go because I love all the products they carry.  Big grin

Sara

MM #2929

Cntrygal

There are a lot of reasons I shop almost exclusively at my Local Running Store, but the following epitomizes why I feel the way I do:

I bought my Garmin 610 a year and a month ago from my LRS.  Paid about 10% more than Amazon.  I didn't mind.  The owner is the local coach and gives a lot back the community; I want to support that.

However, since the Summer, I've had this occasional problem where when the battery goes to 1/3 it starts rebooting over and over again.  On the 22nd of Dec it happened during a trail 20miler (after starting with a full charge).  A friend mentioned I should take it to the shop and ask them what I could do about it.  So, since that day I've been thinking about it and dreading the experience and the news that I'd have to send it do Garmin and pay for it to be refurbished or some crap like that.

But here is what happens:

LRS-girl: What can I help you with today?

Me: Well, I bought this Garmin here about a year ago, and now it's malfunctioning.  I was wondering if you could help me do something about that.

LRS-girl: Sure.  I can give you a new one.  Is it one with the heart monitor?

Me: (a bit stunned), yes, but that works fine.

LRS-girl: <hands me a brand new boxed Garmin 610>

Me: (still stunned) is there any paperwork you need me to fill out?

LRS-girl: Nope.  Hope this one works out better for you.  Anything else?

Now, I'm sure Garmin has some deal with them to accept damaged returns, but I haven't experienced customer service like this since the 70s.  There's ALWAYS some stupid form to fill out, or a receipt you had to have kept for a year, or whatever.

Me: You've just earned my infinite loyalty.

So, now I have a brand-new Garmin charging on my desk and an experience that will keep me dancing on the clouds for a week.

WOW!  That's fantastic!  I have ONE running store in my area and the next closest one is about 5 hours away.  The customer service at my LRS is awful.  After supporting them for years, I have finally had enough and I avoid it as much as possible.  When I go to destination races, I check out those LRS and generally buy from them.  If I need something in between races, I buy online.

Cntrygal

I went to my LRS once. [it's run by the same folks who have a certain marathon plan that's currently "popular" here on RA]

Was treated badly. Found the selection to be poor and prices to be high.

I will not go back.

I have not visited the other LRS as it is not exactly local to me. However, I have purchased shoes from them - via their website. And, I'm friendly with a number of their employees and folks on their ultra running team.

I do enjoy supporting local businesses - and am willing to spend a bit more to do so in return for the value they bring. But, I'm not going an hour and a half out of my way to purchase a commodity - esp one that is likely not stocked at all or in stock in my size.

I had to check to see if you lived near me.   LOL

(I'm in Western South Dakota)

Tiefsa

Just thought I'd throw out the name of my LRS.

Performance Running Outfitters - There's three of them in Southeastern Wisconsin and they only hire running geeks.  It's always nice to go in there and discuss running.  I wonder if Doug has been there?

hvmorfun

mad cow

We live in BFE...We don't have any LRS's around here. Sad

Same here.  We had one, but it closed very soon after I started running.

I swear I had nothing to do with their closing.

You know, evil comes in many forms, be it a man-eating cow or Joseph Stalin. But you can't let the package hide the pudding. Evil is just plain bad. You don't cotton to it. You gotta smack it on the nose with the rolled up newspaper of goodness. Bad dog! Bad dog!

NHLA

Man, that reminded me of when I was looking for racing flats (5-10k).  I walked into Jus' Running in Asheville NC, tried on five different models, ignored two more at the advice of the very knowledgeable sales guy, and walked it with new shoes that fit me great.  (And they discounted them 30% at the register when I mentioned that I visit Asheville a few times a year and always try to swing by.)

Jus' Running is a great store. You need to check out footrx. Let me know nx time you are in Asheville.