Why does weekly mileage matter so much? (Read 3293 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Why do I have to go to college for four years? Why does it have to take so, so long?

Maybe you need to lower your spam filters; maybe you are just not seeing the great emails about solutions to this problem (how to get the diploma without all the wasted time in schooling).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xor

Not really, I had people attacking my character because they disagreed with my argument, whereas I would attack an argument as opposed to someone's character.  I think that says alot more than you think. 

But.... and this is really important... you don't need to ATTACK anything.  JimR provided you with very good non-attacky feedback.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Shouldn't this be surrounded by water and mud?

How did I miss this one... Lots of words I really don't want to read.

So, original posters is asking why weekly mileage matter's so much, correct?

Answer:

1. If running is not your priority, if you have other priorities like competitive tennis, et. al. Then, to be honest, it doesn't matter at all to you. Run whatever you like, in any way you want. Maybe you'll get better, maybe you won't. Who cares....

2. If you want to take running seriously and run half-marathons and marathons, then you will find that weekly mileage is very important to improve your times in these race distances.  Its a simple fact. Also, run "Balls to The Wall" on every run is only going to make you look funny and in the long run get you hurt and hate running.

Simple fact, most professional distance runners run 80-140 miles per week. Most of those miles are at their easy pace. (Mind you their easy their easy pace is probably faster than my marathon pace). If weekly mileage didn't matter so much, would they still be running all of these miles?

Also, by stating that you can run 15-25 miles per week and can run a 1:44 half-marathon you are disparaging those that work very hard to run that fast. You have some talent. To expand on that talent you need to run more and run easier.....

Giant Flaming Dork

Wow.  One picture, so many meanings...

Has the thread derailed?

Maybe It's a train wreck.

It needs to be straightened out.

And cleaned up.

And gotten back on track

Or maybe the train just did too many slow miles and was wasting its time.

http://xkcd.com/621/

xor

How did I miss this one

Also, by stating that you can run 15-25 miles per week and can run a 1:44 half-marathon you are disparaging those that work very hard to run that fast. You have some talent. To expand on that talent you need to run more and run easier.....

Well, see, apparently that is ok. 

grinch031

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Running is a far less technical sport than tennis, or swimming for that matter.

Prince of Fatness

Not really, I had people attacking my character because they disagreed with my argument, whereas I would attack an argument as opposed to someone's character.  I think that says alot more than you think. 

So you think that everyone ganged up on you and you did nothing to contribute to this morass of a thread?  Well then there is the first problem.  There's plenty of blame to go around and, sorry, you get some.  Note that I said "some".  That's just the way it is.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Maybe the 9 minute pace runners putting in 60 miles per week would be running an 11 minute pace if they were only putting in 15 miles per week.  Maybe they have no interest in going faster. Maybe...

Maybe this thread is a train wreck.

Maybe...

xor

I seriously don't understand why people would be offended by it. 

So, you could try to figure out why.  Or you could blow it off.  Or you could blow it off and personalize it back to you as a negative thing.

Anyway, just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it is wrong.  Some folks here don't understand you and have apparently treated you as though you are wrong... and how's that going for you?  Do you like it?

Nope.

Feeling the growl again

No, people got frustrated by your unwillingness to listen to and at least try to understand legitimate advice and based your argument on faulty rationale (but I thought you claimed to come here asking a question?  Which was it?).  Yet they continued to try and help you.  Have you learned anything about the value of mileage yet or are you still more concerned with the perceived attacks on your character (which you have way over-dramatacized, BTW, which further irritated people).

I sincerely hope you go back and learn what you need to from this thread, because as a message forum veteran I am sure you understand that this will be the last time these people try to answer one of your questions.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

morass

Please don't force my hand; thank you.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

xor

you get some.  Note that I said "some".  That's just the way it is.

Everybody wants some.