2023 The Waltons: Racing & Training Thread (Read 301 times)

JamesD

JamesD

Mark - Great run & RR.  Congrats on the win despite the conditions.

Fred - Those are impressive across-the-board improvements in your splits over such a short period.  I seem to run a course faster the second time I race it (unless conditions are much worse), but I don’t know whether I’ll improve again a third time.  Should get a chance to find out this year, as there are at least two 5Ks I’d like to do for the third time in three or four years.

Thanks to all for the suggestions about my Achilles soreness.  I had forgotten about the heel drops, which I used to do and now have resumed.  HCK, as you suspected, your point about not wearing heels to work wasn’t particularly relevant to me – I’m retired – but the general idea of looking at what I’m doing when not running was useful.  In the last couple of months, I’ve been reading with my feet propped up on a recliner and my toes pointed out in a way that shortens the Achilles, which may have contributed to the problem.  Except for the Achilles, the week was ok, though it’s mildly frustrating that I’m still not back to where I was before my time off over the holidays, in terms of effort/feeling or pace or heart rate.  Since I more or less took three weeks off (managed almost a week’s worth of runs in four weeks), I should expect to be back to normal after six weeks, and I’m at four, so I guess I’m coming along ok.

Sun - 10.1 miles PM in park @ 8:39

Mon - 7.5 miles very slow on treadmill (90 minutes) + 0:40 walk breaks every 6:00

Tues - 7.2 miles PM in park including strides, 6.7 @ 8:36

Weds - 36 minutes swimming

Thurs - 10.6 miles AM in park @ 8:51

Fri - 7.5 miles very slow on TM (90 minutes) + 0:40 walk breaks/6:00

Sat - 7.2 miles PM in park including strides,  6.7 @ 8:40

Total - 50 miles

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

darkwave

Mother of Cats

MarkyMark - nice racing and nice race report.  Congratulations on the win.  I'd be pretty annoyed by unexpected gravel on a race course.

Fredford - it's pretty cool to see the continuing progress.

MickJogger - some solid work there, and I like the focus on time.  I've never been able to do it, but one of the faster runners I've ever known trained by time.

Watson- that is a weekend heavy week (understandably, if life got in the way).

James - your theory about the reading sessions and the achilles tendon makes a lot of sense.  Fitness wise, it does suck that it takes so much longer to regain then to lose.

My week:

52 miles running, 3 hours pool-running, and ~1500 yards swimming.

M: 90 minutes pool-running.
      T: 10 miles, including a track workout of 400, 800, 2x1200, 800, 3x400 in 1:43, 3:31, 5:10, 5:10, 3:22, 1:37, 1:38, 1:39. Recoveries between 1Tight lipped and 1:3x for the 400s; recoveries between 2:0x and 3:1x after the 800s and 1200s. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
      W: 10 miles very easy (9:34) on treadmill plus upper body weights/core.
      Th: 90 minutes pool-running and streaming yoga.
      F: 10 miles, including a 6400m tempo in 28:54 (7:22/7:13/7:09/7:10); followed with 4x30 second hill repeats, leg strengthwork, and 500 yards recovery swimming.
      Sa: 10 miles easy (9:34) on treadmill plus upper body weights/core.
      Su: 12 miles, including 8 Iwo Jima hills (2:00 powerful up a 3% incline, then 90 second jog; 40 second downhill stride and then 60 second jog to bottom). Odd hill repeats (1,3,5,7) focused on knee lift and bouncy stride; even hill repeats focused on stride extension. Followed with drills and two strides, injury prevention work, and 500 meters recovery swimming.

First full week of track workouts.  My gait is feeling smoother and more stable.  Not 100%, but 85% of where I want to be.  I do feel like I've lost fitness, and so some of my work will be regaining that.

Weather permitting, I'm going to hop into a low key 5K next Saturday.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Got through the trail race in 1 piece, which was probably the biggest goal. I didn't kick any rocks (which I did the other times I've run this one), so yay. It was a plesant surprise that the first part was not paved over. I was surprised that it seems like leaves were cleared off the trail. I mean, it's nice for seeing things like roots and rocks, but just seemed unnnatural.

My week:

Monday upper body strength training

Tuesday am 6 miles on the treadmill with 2 x 12 min

Tuesday pm 20 minutes easy ont he treadmill & lower body strength training

Wednesday 4.4 easy on the treadmill

Thursday 2.7 easy treadmill + strength training

Friday am 3 miles easy run home from Firestone after dropping off car

Friday pm 3 miles easy run to Fireston to pick up car (I have really gotten my money's worth on the road hazard coverage on the tire I bought there)

Saturday 20 minutes easy on the treadmill

Sunday 10k (6.5 mile really) trail race 1:11. Comparing to past years, I was faster on the rail trail sections and slower on the real trail section. Considering I haven't run on trails sincec fall, good enough. I was probably overly tentative on the more technical downhills.

MarkyMark, nice race report and congratulations on the win. You mentioned mud in the finish area, did you have to go through that early in the race too?

JamesD, I figured the heels part probably wouldn't be much help, but it;s easy to look at running as the issue for things and not at what you do the other 22 or 23 hours of the day. I think I sit the same way in my recline. i know my achilles were less than happy 3 yers ago when I resorted to trying to sleep in the recline due to pnuemonia.

Fred, that's a nice improvement. I think with trails especially, the more you run them, the quicker you get from familiarity. The smaller field is also a big plus--no bottlenecks on climbs.

darkwave, I do most of my treadmill runs by time. It's just easier and about the only metric on my treadmill's display that I trust.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Race list changes for me:

• Delete the 2/24 Al Gordon 4-miler
          • Add 3/19 Spring Distance Classic 5k
          • Add 5/7 Jersey City 5k

I'm on the fence right now about a race on 2/25.  The FebApple Frozen Fifty.  If I run it, I'll just be doing the 1-loop, 10-mile version of the race. This trail run has a much harder course than the simple XC races I've been running - it takes me over 2 hours to do 10 miles.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
          10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

HCK - Nice job on finishing the trail run.  I'm glad your fears about the course having been paved went unproved.  You are right about familiarity with a course contributing to time improvements, thanks.

Darkwave - Thanks, it is indeed nice to see progress after my slow start to the year.  I'm glad to see your progress continues in terms of your gait feeling better.  Good luck with the 5k if you choose to run it.

James - Nice week of running for you.  I hope you are able to sort out the Achilles issue.  I hope you can put your course knowledge to good use in the 5k races later this year.  Since I run so many new HMs, I tend to study course maps intensely, though that doesn't make up in full for familiarity.

Watson - I'm glad to hear you feel like you're making progress.  Good work.

Mark - Congratulations on the win!  Thanks for the race report with lots of details and flavor (I should write one up for my 10k).  Thank you and I bet you would have liked some cooler weather indeed.

In finally put together back to back weeks of at least 40 miles, coming in at 42.7 miles / 68.7 km this week.  It was a real confidence-building week and one in which I felt like I was starting to return to the fitness level I achieved last fall (though I'm still 4 pounds heavier than I was then).

Date Workout/Course Type Distance Duration Pace Temp
            1/30/2023   Easy   6.1 mi 1:03:01 10:20  47
            1/31/2023  3x1600/600 (cut short at 2x) Repeats   6.6 mi 1:05:09   9:53  37
            2/2/2023  5 miles at HM pace Pace   8.0 mi 1:14:03   9:16  25
            2/3/2023   Easy   5.2 mi    54:25 10:28  28
            2/4/2023   Easy   0.5 mi      5:22 10:45    6
            2/4/2023

Morris County Central Park 10k

Race   6.3 mi    56:44   9:01    7
            2/5/2023   Easy 10.0 mi 1:45:08 10:31  38

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

zebano

I did a tempo on the track this morning.  I wear a Stryd footpod that measures wind resistance.  Here's the power chart from this morning (the yellow line is the total power I was generating, and the white shading indicates how much of that was spent overcoming wind resistance.

[that part around 10:00 in is where I almost fell down from a gust.]

Oh that's really neat. I wonder how that accounts for body type/size/weight is it just a linear function?

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

zebano

Fred - every split there is getting faster, nice work.

Mark - way to not wilt in the heat and close hard. A well deserved W.

Watson - nice week, including getting the strength in.

James - at 50 miles in the week I'd say you're progressing quite nicely.

Darkwave - what a weekend. 10/10/12 is a big 3 days especially with quality on 2 of them.

HCK - nice week, and congrats on a good trail race. It's always tough to balance how hard to go on the easy sections while saving enough for the technical pieces.

Unfortunately my daughter had car trouble and I didn't make it to the parkrun so my week was far less exciting than all of yours but I had a lovely 35 degree long run with a friend on Sunday that made up for it.

M easy 4 +_ 25 min bik

easy 4 + lifting + 900yd swim

W 4 w/ 2x:60, 2x:45, 2x:30 to get turnover going + 800 yd swim

Th totally, gloriously off.

F 3.3 miles

S 4.4 miles w/ a 20 min tempo in there wearing a poorly fitting pack (ugg)

Sun 11.6 mi long run + strides

31 miles running

1 mile swim, 1 bike ride, 1 lift

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Marky_Mark_17

Watson - Lisa Cross is off to World XC Champs in a couple of weeks so fair to say she is in top form at the moment!  I really did not want to get passed that late in the race, but she is an athlete I have a great deal of respect for... has come back after having 2 kids and 1 pretty serious stress fracture in her hip a few years ago, and is running better than ever.

James - yeah, just be patient.  It takes some time to build back after having significant downtime, but you will get there (even though it is easier to lose than gain fitness!).

Kathi - the start / finish chute was grass at the start but I knew it was gonna be mud by the end after everyone had trampled over it on the way out!  Clearing leaves off trails... isn't that against the rules?!  Haha.  Congrats on the race effort.

Zebano - very envious of your 35 degree long run!  Close to my ideal running temperature haha.

Fred - love those confidence building weeks... well done!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Zebano - Sorry you missed your Park Run.  I hope the car troubles aren't too expensive.  Nice work for the week.

Mark - Thanks.  I seem to be on an upswing these days.

My running partner and I met for what I feel is one of the harder workouts of the training plan. 6 x 1 mile with 400m recoveries. Since we do it on the track, it's really 6 x 1600. The target pace is 10 seconds faster than HM pace (which for me is also 10 seconds slower than 10k pace), so we were shooting for 8:08. My RP showed up a little bit late, breathing heavy, so I suspect he got a late start and didn't exactly run an easy warmup. We ran 8:11, 09, 09, 08, 09, and then my RP was spent so I did the last one alone, getting an 8:08, while he recovered for the run home. I think he'll set his alarm a little earlier next time (I also suggested to him he take it easier on the recoveries early on, when he tends to push our pace a bit). 10 miles on the day and my legs are certainly going to be happy for the rest day tomorrow.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Belated race report.

Winter Trail Series Race #5 - 10k.  2/4/23

This would be my 3rd running of a 10k on the same course in the past 5 weeks (i.e. a race every 2 weeks).  Due to the exceedingly cold weather, I expected the course conditions to be good for running since the muddy spots, which aren't too many, would be frozen solid with a start time temperature of 7º and wind chill in the low negatives.  My nephew, whose registration I had paid for as a Christmas gift, was already there when we arrived.  We'd be running the course he regularly competed on in high school, though he'd never raced it at a 10k.  Before the start I spied the 13-year-old, who'd been within seconds of me last time, standing with her father among the other runners, so I chatted with them briefly, wishing them both luck (he said his daughter's goal was to "just survive" in that weather).

The half marathoners were already out on the course, having started a half hour earlier, and the race director saw some of them heading for the start/finish, so he got us off a little bit early (less than a minute, so no big deal).  My nephew was quickly off and gone.  I was mid-pack, trying not to go out too quickly.  The first half mile of the course is a bit of a zig-zag to the lowest point of the run, during which I pretty much stayed within myself.  Next is ¾ mile climb, with a short respite, to the highest point of the course, much of it straight into the cold, bitter wind.  It was on this section that I was glad I'd applied Vaseline to my nose and cheeks, but regretted forgetting lip balm.  By the time I got to the top of the course, I'd passed two runners who were walking, whom I am pretty sure were 10k racers who'd gone out too quickly.

After coming down off the top of the hill, I was following a runner in a white top at a distance when she suddenly slowed down, turned, and pointed at a fence, not sure of which way to go.  I pointed her in the proper direction (though by then she was practically standing on the arrow showing the way).  At this point, the course runs across the outfield of a baseball field and is all grass.  I turned up my effort in the hopes of reeling in the runner, which I did just before we got back to dirt trail.  I heard her behind me for a while and wondered if she'd pass me on an uphill portion (I still slow down on hills), but she didn't.

2.4 miles in, the easiest part of the course starts - a long, mostly downhill run on good terrain.  I put the white-shirted runner behind me on this portion since I tend to go booming down the hills (if I'm going to work hard dragging my overweight body up the hill, I'm going to take full advantage of gravity going downhill).  2.6 miles in, I was running on the "inbound" portion of the route that parallels the "outbound" portion, though on separate paths, and I spied my nephew, who was already 3.9 miles into his race by then.  I waved, but I don't think he saw me.  Just after mile 3, I made the turn for the short, steep climb to the end of the first loop.  As I started my second loop I could look down into the valley and see the white-shirted runner well behind me and even further back was the 13-year old.

The second lap was one of mostly running alone.  Coincidentally, I was around mile 3.9 when I saw my nephew running back (mile 5.7 for him) and this time I shouted his name, so he saw me and waved back, running smoothly and easily.  The hill climb felt even harder the second time (it always does), and running alone made it a bit harder.  As I came down off the top of the hill and onto the ball field the second time, I saw the father of the young girl coming up behind me.  For the rest of the race, as I hit turns, I'd glance back and he was usually there, though not very close.  Finally, as I approached the turn for the last hill to the finish, I heard rapid footsteps and there he was.  He went charging up the final hill while I had nothing left for such a burst.  We chatted after the race and he told me I was pulling him along for most of the last two miles, always 100 - 200 yards ahead until he put on a kick at the end.  We agreed it can be easier to follow someone you see ahead of you than to respond to someone who may or may not be behind you. He beat my by 12 seconds, as opposed to close to 6 minutes last time.  Without him, I would have been first male over 40 (out of a whole half dozen).

I wound up with a 56:44, more than 2 minutes better than last time, and while the course was indeed a lot faster, I like to think I can take some of the credit too.  My nephew finished in 37:34, which was not only more than 8 minutes ahead of second place, it would have easily been the fastest time of any 10k race in the whole series.  The man is fast.  He was very happy when I met him at the finish, not just for his result, but to be back on his old high school stomping grounds, which he hadn't run on in 5 years.  I, too, was happy with the day and we were so keyed up that we really didn't feel the cold (it was probably up to 10º by then) for quite some time.  We grabbed some cookies and tried brushing the ice out of our mustaches, then went our separate ways.  Too bad there won't be another 10k there until December.

watsonc123

Nice RR.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Marky_Mark_17

Fred - I never actually thought of using vaseline to minimise the risk of wind burn.  Not normally an issue here in NZ, but I do use it for chafing in the normal spots on a hot or wet day.  Well done again!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Watson, Mark - Thanks.

Mark - I don't remember where I learned the Vaseline trick, but it's really valuable when the wind chill gets into the single digits or lower (< -12C), or slightly warmer if I'm going to be out more than an hour.  I only need to treat my nose and cheeks since I sport a goatee, which I allow to grow thicker in the winter.  Not helpful advice for everyone, I know.

Question of the day: has anyone experienced inconsistent lifespans with carbon plate shoes? I had two pair of the exact same make and model. The first lasted over 250 miles. The second pair is only 140 miles old but feels dead already.

watsonc123

Fred - I've only had 3. What are the shoes you have?

Asics MetaRacer which OK, but not great.  I now use it for some short interval work.  I've done ~100 miles and it will have heaps more in it.

Saucony Endorphin Pro v1 which is much better.  I've done about 150 miles, I'm using it for long road runs plus ParkRun.  It's hardly worn and I suspect I'll get 500+ miles.

Adidas Adios Pro v2 - the best of my three.  It took some superficial foam surface damage at the end of my marathon (tired, scrapping feet), but is still good overall.  Done about 50 miles so far.  Will get quite a bit more out of them.  Probably one more marathon then will become a long road run shoe.  It's probably quicker than my Endorphin Pro v1 for longer distances, and is definitely softer.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I have the Saucony Endorphin Pro 1 as well. Maybe I just got a bad pair. At my weight, the first pair ran out of tread before anything else.