2023 The Waltons: Racing & Training Thread (Read 301 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

As test cricket goes, this was the closest match in 30 years.  This particular variety of cricket lasts 5 days and NZ won by 1 run when we got the final England wicket (only the second match in history to be decided by that margin).

It was roughly the equivalent of a baseball game going to something like the 19th or 20th innings and then the pitcher striking out the final batter with 2 down and bases loaded.  And, in this particular game I would probably also add that NZ were the equivalent of 4 or 5 runs down in the 8th innings, so well and truly on the ropes.

With 50 runs needed it looked like we might win reasonably comfortably.  I said to a mate I'd rather they got close and felt the most pain possible.  No-one deserves it more than England cricket!  The luckiest team in sports history.  And I'd much rather win by 1 run than 0 runs*.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

With 50 runs needed it looked like we might win reasonably comfortably.  I said to a mate I'd rather they got close and felt the most pain possible.  No-one deserves it more than England cricket!  The luckiest team in sports history.  And I'd much rather win by 1 run than 0 runs*.

I still have trauma from that World Cup final that we don't mention! Sooo glad we pulled this one off!

Kia ora koutou e te whānau!

I've been swallowed up a bit with multiple life changes recently...but still do a drive-by of this thread from time to time.

Had a slight calf strain which slowed my marathon training for a good month, so now it's just about getting as fit as I can for Christchurch in April. Hoping to BQ this year, as I am planning a trip to Boston next year. Need to find some good Boston-based TV shows so that I can practice the local accent!

50+ age-group PBs:  Half Perish 1:24:24 (June '23 Road Race) - 10km 37:52 (2022 Local Road Champs) - Track 5km 18:49 (Aug '22) - Perish Run 3:17:42

2024 Goals: Boston Perish Run Sub 3:15 - Road/Track 10km Sub 37:30 - 5km Sub 18:20

they play a test match for 5 days and it gets people genuinely excited? Ha, cricket must be really special; I don't know any other sport in the world where anyone would care!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

zebano

This particular variety of cricket lasts 5 days

but why? Honestly I'm sure if I were into it that would be epic.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey & Mark: don't recall the origin of this beef. What exactly happened between the two of you? Mikkey never came across as a bully, but I haven't followed the forum too closely in the last 2 years. Be nice to each other, boys...

There’s always been banter about NZ courses being notoriously short and then I kind of got a bit fed up with Marky making excuses about it with GPS issues and I just call it out now. Apparently it’s called trolling. 🤡

I’ve run over 100 races and on only two occasions my Garmin was short…and guess what? …they were both officially declared short and void. (but that’s in the UK)

Zebano - Wow you little snowflake not  wanting me to post on this thread and give my opinion. lol

MickJogger - Good to see you back running again and good luck as you always come across as a nice guy. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Marky_Mark_17

There’s always been banter about NZ courses being notoriously short and then I kind of got a bit fed up with Marky making excuses about it with GPS issues and I just call it out now. Apparently it’s called trolling. 🤡

Actually, most of the courses I've run are fine.  You just fixate on the few that aren't.  It's called confirmation bias.  And you do troll a lot, as well.  It's happened multiple times in the past where you'll avoid this thread for months, then as soon as I run a race you'll pop in with some snide comment.

How wonderful that your Garmin is never wrong and that, like most people over the age of 3, you can express an opinion, but you've frequently expressed your dislike for this thread so what on earth are you doing here if it's not trolling?  Because it's sure as hell not engaging in a good faith discussion about running.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

but why? Honestly I'm sure if I were into it that would be epic.

Well, it can be epic. It can also be incredibly boring and teams can play 5 days with no result. That's just how it's always been, going back to the 1800's.  In the 1970's, they came up with a shorter version that only lasts 1 day and where there's always a result, then in the 2000's they came up with an even shorter version that only lasts half a day.  Probably a metaphor for people's attention spans tbh.  Anyways most countries that play the sport (which is not that many, and most of them are Commonwealth countries) play all 3 versions nowadays, but some only play the shorter ones.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Well, it can be epic. It can also be incredibly boring and teams can play 5 days with no result. That's just how it's always been, going back to the 1800's.  In the 1970's, they came up with a shorter version that only lasts 1 day and where there's always a result, then in the 2000's they came up with an even shorter version that only lasts half a day.  Probably a metaphor for people's attention spans tbh.  Anyways most countries that play the sport (which is not that many, and most of them are Commonwealth countries) play all 3 versions nowadays, but some only play the shorter ones.

I think we could do with more things that force us to slow down and take it all in.  Taking time to think & consider rather than always shooting from the hip would do this world some good.  Sadly, that's not where the money is.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                  10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Actually, most of the courses I've run are fine.  You just fixate on the few that aren't.  It's called confirmation bias.  And you do troll a lot, as well.  It's happened multiple times in the past where you'll avoid this thread for months, then as soon as I run a race you'll pop in with some snide comment.

How wonderful that your Garmin is never wrong and that, like most people over the age of 3, you can express an opinion, but you've frequently expressed your dislike for this thread so what on earth are you doing here if it's not trolling?  Because it's sure as hell not engaging in a good faith discussion about running.

Post all the races that you’ve run that weren’t fine. How many?

I’ll do the same and post all my races that weren’t fine.  Oh wait, there aren’t any. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I’ll do the same and post all my races that weren’t fine.  Oh wait, there aren’t any.

This proves nothing and it's not what our thread is about.  If you want to participate constructively and supportively in the spirit of this forum, you'll be welcome, but otherwise please do as Zebano asked and stay away.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                      10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

Marky_Mark_17

16 of 76 were short on my watch.

Of those 16, 1 was at a Parkrun and 5 were at 10km events that are basically marketed as fun runs and were pretty slow courses anyway (i.e. who cares). Of the remaining 10, 4 were on courses with either long trail segments, beach, hills, or all 3 - i.e. even if they were short, there was probably enough difficulty in the course to compensate for that (and TBH tree covered trails can throw GPS for a loop).  So that leaves 6 of 76 (8%) where the course may have been short without any real decent reason.

Incidentally, those 6 races were on 4 different courses (two of them I did twice).  Other runners on here have run three of those and not once have you made the same criticism of them.

So yes, you are trolling in bad faith, and without good reason.  You have some sort of problem with me, I'll leave it to you to figure out why that is, but I'm not going to lower myself to your level.

Others have asked you to stay away and I will reiterate that.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

16 of 76 were short on my watch.

🤡🤡🤡

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

🤡🤡🤡

Let's just stop feeding this gigantic snowfake.

I guess he's got his own problems in the real world, but we're not here to solve them by giving him the attention he so obviously thrives on.

Fred, Zebano - Thank you. Right now it's mainly a bad case of covid and the next few weeks probably the fear to get back to exercise to soon (#myocarditis) that'll keep me from running or using the exercise bike. Three weeks in bed / on the couch on the other hand have done nothing in terms of healing. Pain stays the same. I guess my problem is not located in the foot, but further up the kinetic chain. Good orthopedists or PTs are scarce around here ...

Don't hurry - next AG will start 2026

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Let's just stop feeding this gigantic snowfake.

I guess he's got his own problems in the real world, but we're not here to solve them by giving him the attention he so obviously thrives on.

Fred, Zebano - Thank you. Right now it's mainly a bad case of covid and the next few weeks probably the fear to get back to exercise to soon (#myocarditis) that'll keep me from running or using the exercise bike. Three weeks in bed / on the couch on the other hand have done nothing in terms of healing. Pain stays the same. I guess my problem is not located in the foot, but further up the kinetic chain. Good orthopedists or PTs are scarce around here ...

LOL - the Marky fanboy always comes out of the woodwork when I give an opinion….and btw I’m actually fine in the real world.

Zebona - this thread should really be on the User Group with invitation only. It means that “trolls” like me with an opinion are not allowed to post. How about that for a great idea!  Well done Eric Smile

Marky_Mark_17

Fred, Zebano - Thank you. Right now it's mainly a bad case of covid and the next few weeks probably the fear to get back to exercise to soon (#myocarditis) that'll keep me from running or using the exercise bike. 

Take your time and be patient with it and hopefully it’s all good. I’ve often made the mistake of rushing back too quickly after being sick. I don’t know if you have a watch that measures HRV, but looking at both that and resting heart rate are good ways of knowing when the body is back on track.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"