2023 The Waltons: Racing & Training Thread (Read 301 times)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Hi all.  Back with more later (possibly tomorrow), but wanted to drop this off.

Greta's Run 5k, 5/21/23

This race starts just around the corner from me and finishes in front of my neighbors house.  I haven't registered for it in the past because I've had no interest in a mid/late-May race that started at 11:00a.  This year, they took feedback from racers and started at 9:00a, so I signed up.  They closed my street early (before 6:00a), but my octogenarian parents were allowed in so they could park in my driveway and watch the race from my front lawn (their grandson was running).

The temperature was a little warm in the sun at 61º (16C), but the humidity was low and there was a breeze, so conditions weren't really an issue.  This was one of those rare events:  a charity 5k that was using a USATF-certified course and was very diligent about placing their start and finish lines properly (and used mats for the start and finish so chip timing was possible).  I went for my 1-mile warmup around 8:30, then headed over to the start area.  I saw a large portion of the field was made up of families and younger kids, so I lined up closer to the front than I usually do, to avoid the traffic of the fly-and-die kiddies.

The race started pretty promptly and off we went.  My son, who is still shy about lining up too close to the front, was about 20 yards back, but passed my pretty quickly.  The race had an initial small downhill, which with the race-start adrenaline got me moving pretty quickly.  The first half mile of the race was straight ahead, so I could watch the lead field thin out ahead of me, but I pretty much held my spot behind them, passing some of the kids who'd started out fast and faded already.  Two little uphills, then a downhill and I finished the first mile in 7:37. My goal these days is to shoot for 24 minutes in a 5k, which is a 7:43 pace, so 7:37 was about right for mile 1.

Mile 2, often the tricky mile of a 5k, was deceptively difficult; no real hills climbs, but a constant changing in the pitch of the streets from slightly uphill to slightly downhill and back, making it a little harder to keep a steady pace.  Just before the 1.4 mile mark, I was running down the middle of the street in no traffic when a guy passed me and immediately started squeezing my off my line, which I didn't appreciate.  I put on some speed to pass him back and reclaim my line  He made some snarky comment, but I just kept going.  I was feeling some fatigue and kept slowing down unintentionally (I knew there was a real hill climb at the start of mile 3, but I wasn't trying to hold back).  Mile 2 clocked in at 7:55, so I was averaging 7:46, which was just off 24-minute pace, but not too bad.

The course hits mile 2 near the end of a shallow, ¼ mile downhill just before a turn to the race's only steep hill.  By this time, I the pack had really thinned out.  There were a couple of people within 30 yards ahead of me, but other than one person who passed me, I didn't hear anyone coming up from behind.  I made the turn and hit the hill.  I knew it would be tough, so I shortened my stride and increased my arm swings to help me up the climb.  There was another runner just a about 20' ahead of me, but I wasn't catching up to her.  I crested the hill and tried to put on some more speed, but it was hard.  We were on a ¾ mile straightaway with a mild headwind.  I was keeping up with the runner ahead of me, but that's all.  I managed to get my pace under 8:00, but it was hard to get under 7:55.  A left turn onto the final 0.4 stretch and here being on home turf really helped.  The string of runners was following a line just off the curb, but I knew this was a curving, S-shaped road and I ran both tangents of the S, picking up a little ground.  A final 90º turn and we had about 0.15 miles to go.  I reached down for a last kick and managed to pass the woman I'd been following for the past mile.  I saw my house up ahead with my wife, parents, and sister out there cheering people on and it helped me keep going.  I finished in 24:11, so no sub-24 today, but a good, solid effort and my 3rd-best age-graded result for a 5k.  The woman I passed finished 4 seconds behind me and the next runner was another 9 seconds after her, so I wasn't really being chased at the end.

I ran mile three in 7:58, which isn't bad considering the hill and the headwind.  My chance to go sub-24 was basically lost in mile 2, when I kept falling off the pace amid the mild ups and downs.  I think this is where a small race hurts me.  Two weeks ago in Jersey City, there were almost 5,000 runners, so there was always someone around me and someone to chase down.  When there's nobody right next to me or right in front of me, it's harder to keep the pace up.  Nevertheless, it was a good day for me.  3rd of 13 in my AG, 54th of 234 males, and 65th of 515 overall.  My son beat me again, also about 25 seconds off his PR, coming in 4th in his AG, but I'm still well ahead of him age-graded.   I was 43rd overall when age grading, after discounting the 3-year-old who got an 81.84% age grade by posting a 25:54 (i.e. being pushed in a stroller).

Next up, a 10k in 13 days on a slow course, so I'll be trying to beat my time from 2 years ago rather than seeking a PR.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Fred - Nice work.  Did snarky guy ever catch up with you again?

Mark - That sounds like a decent learning experience.  I imagine you need quite a different mindset than when you run on the road?  It would take some getting used to, having to concentrate so much.  Nice work getting on the podium first time out.

Mick - it's a 3 week taper but not overly steep, and my coach is keen to keep some decent speed sessions.  So this was my first taper week albeit still reasonably solid.  I actually can't believe how fresh I feel given the recent mileage.  Way more fresh than before Melbourne when I probably overtrained and Christchurch when I was sick.

Some good pointers to marathon success there.  I did 7 20+ milers before Melbourne but I tipped over the edge so 5 is probably about right.  I doubt you'll find an All Blacks singlet but you can possibly get a training top that won't take your nipples off.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Fred - Nice work.  Did snarky guy ever catch up with you again?

No, he did not!

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

darkwave

Mother of Cats

James - it's so odd to hear you talking about warm weather...I thought you were immune to the stuff, given how well you run in it!

BTW, thanks for the explanation on sportsbras last week.  It was an example of why just one sportsbra model in different sizes could never work for all women...because women need to be fitted for sports bras in multiple aspects.  Some women really need a supportive sports bra, and suffer when it's not available.  OTOH, for women like me, who do not really need any support, sportsbras like the Juno are stifling.

Watson- it's good to see you back.  I hope work calms down for you.

Steve- the calf is better now, right?

MJ - thanks - the race went well - I ran my 2x5 a bit too fast (I thought I had set my watch to show total elapsed time, but I hadn't, so I let myself roll a bit when I felt like it, to make sure I was safely under.  I ended up running 1:40 when I only needed 1:49, so yeah, I should have backed off a lot.

As for what to do next...in terms of races, I'd just try to decide whether a 5K focus or a half focus sounded more fun.  I'm serious - when you enjoy what you are doing, you generally get better results.

With regard to recovery, I would think that you would need at least another week of just gentle running, given how hard that marathon was on your body.  Additionally, first marathons are usually pretty hard on the body; each subsequent one gets a bit easier in terms of recovery.

With regard to the 20+ milers - honestly, I think 5 is too many.  I've never done more than 3 for a marathon, and usually do just 2 runs of 20+ miles.   In terms of handling the marathon distance, while 20 milers aren't meaningless, I think your overall weekly mileage is much more important.

Marky_Mark - you didn't answer my unasked question - do you think you'd do another race like the one you did this weekend?  Or are you going to stick to the roads (to the extent family obligations allow)?

Fred - Another solid race for you.  Interesting how you found the slight elevation changes to throw off your rhythm - I've always felt that those helped me, by shifting the stress on muscles slightly.  I guess we are all different!

And congrats on beating Snarky guy!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

42 miles running, 500 yards swimming and 4 hours pool-running.
            M: 90 minutes pool-running.
            T: 11 miles, including a track workout of 1600, 1200, 2x800, 2x400, split as 6:43, 5:00, 3:17, 3:14, 93, and 94. Recovery of 5:00 after the 1200, 2:3x after the 1200 and the first 800, and then equal time recoveries after the second 800 and the 400s. Followed with lower body strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming
            W: 9 miles very easy (9:48) plus drills/hill sprints and upper body weights/core.
            Th: 3 miles very easy on a very hilly route (10:05), 1 hour pool-running, and streaming yoga.
            F: 4 miles very easy (9:43). (went out late Thursday night; in rough shape)
            Sa: 15 miles, including a workout of 2x5 miles at marathon effort, first 5 miles averaging 7:37 and second 5 miles averaging 7:17 (too fast/not marathon effort) with 1 mile float in 8:00 (too fast).
            Su: 90 minutes pool-running and streaming yoga.

Just two workouts this week - a track workout on Tuesday and then a marathon effort workout embedded into a half-marathon on Saturday. I ended up running the latter half of the Saturday workout too fast - somewhere between marathon and half-marathon effort.  I guess that's the primary risk of doing a workout during a race. But...my goals were to run the half-marathon fast enough to snag a NYC Marathon guaranteed entry while not trashing myself the way I would if I raced a half-marathon, and I accomplished both, so we'll call it good.

I usually do that 2x5 as part of a 16-17 mile run.  But, I only had time to run 2 miles before going through all the steps to get into my corral, and there was no good place to run after (plus I needed to get back to my hotel to check out), so I just called it good with 15.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Marky_Mark_17

Marky_Mark - you didn't answer my unasked question - do you think you'd do another race like the one you did this weekend?  Or are you going to stick to the roads (to the extent family obligations allow)?

Well I entered a 6 race series, so I'm kind of stuck with it!  It certainly uses muscles in different ways to the road, which I think will be good for my running overall (and certainly that was the case for one of the runners I chatted to yesterday who set a marathon PB on a tough course last September after doing the same series over winter).  My glutes were definitely feeling those hill climbs yesterday by the end and interestingly my obliques are tight today which is a new one.

Fred - I've never actually had anyone make a snarky comment towards me in a race!  That's super fun to have a race that is literally in your backyard though.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

Re 20+ milers and weekly mileage - there's a variety of responses, so It's difficult to make full statements.  For my last marathon I did two which was just enough for me.

Fred - nice RR.

Mark - the Wellinton Xterra all races entry sells out really quickly  (in hours), is that the same for Auckland?  The Wellington courses are really tough, often the long courses are 1000m elevation, making Auckland look mild.  That's a really good time, did you wear a pack in the end?

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Marky_Mark_17

Mark - the Wellinton Xterra all races entry sells out really quickly  (in hours), is that the same for Auckland?  The Wellington courses are really tough, often the long courses are 1000m elevation, making Auckland look mild.  That's a really good time, did you wear a pack in the end?

I'm not sure about all of them but this race had definitely sold out.

I went with the handheld, rather than the pack, but actually wished I'd worn the pack as there were several points where I wished I'd had both hands free.  The next one (Hunua) has the toughest climbs of the lot but I think that is "only" around 700m for the long course.  I will have to wear a pack for that as there is a bunch of mandatory safety equipment you need to carry.  Mostly clothing, but not stuff I'd ever wear while running unless I absolutely had to.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

We're in the future lol.  On the bright side, those not in NZ have more weekend left than the rest of us!

I've always thought that all Air NZ flights coming back home should be playing "Back to the Future", as a wee nod to our position in the world time zone Smile

Always good to hear what everyone has been up to. Does Fred win the award for shortest distance travelled to a race??

Mi Semana: (got a bit sick, so gave myself a rest on Friday and Sat morn)

Weekly for period: From: 15/05/2023 To 21/05/2023

<caption>Weekly Grid</caption>
                    Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                    in m
                    15/05 Morning Run 6.22 10.00 00:57:20 09:13 05:44 43
                    15/05 Fair start to the 100km week 7.48 12.04 01:01:21 08:12 05:06 72
                    16/05 Little sympathy for drivers stuck in traffic 9.34 15.03 01:16:05 08:09 05:04 63
                    17/05 The Struggle Within 6.25 10.06 00:58:07 09:18 05:47 103
                    18/05 Slightly more than 72 Seasons gone 11.29 18.16 01:34:03 08:20 05:11 201
                    20/05 Morning Track Make Up - 穴埋め 3.74 6.01 00:28:09 07:32 04:41 0
                    21/05 Welly loves to run! 14.92 24.01 01:55:43 07:45 04:49 26

Total distance: 95.32km (59 Competitive Jerks)

50+ age-group PBs:  Half Perish 1:24:24 (June '23 Road Race) - 10km 37:52 (2022 Local Road Champs) - Track 5km 18:49 (Aug '22) - Perish Run 3:17:42

2024 Goals: Boston Perish Run Sub 3:15 - Road/Track 10km Sub 37:30 - 5km Sub 18:20

Darkwave - amazing effort there with the workout as part of a race. I am wondering, so you qualify for the NYC marathon through a half marathon? Sorry, I am not following your racing calendar as closely - but either way congrats on making it.

I have in the meantime disregarded your recommendation of an easier week - simply because I only read it after I was done with today's workout, due to the time difference. The workout felt so easy, as my legs are pretty well rested (around 10 miles with some mp and threshold pace). I also re-discovered running in the morning. Overall a really nice experience - and since I had not made up my mind about my immediate future goals, I just followed the 2Q Jack Daniels Marathon training plan and started with week 18, which gets me ready for whatever marathon in October (maybe Berlin if I buy someone else's bib? or Cologne, Lucerne, Munich...although that is a dangerous place in October).

I will back off for the rest of the week, maybe with the exception of a semi-long easy run of around 13 miles towards the end of the week. I hope my body copes with this.....

Fred - great thank you I am glad you had a good race, and I am always thrown off by those rolling ups and downs. I am with you. I don't like running hills. Great effort though at home. And glad your folks where able to whitness this live - where they proud of both the son & grandson or did they only care about the younger one? What was his time?

Mark - you know the MC of your races? Your races have an MC? Sounds like fun!

Hash - that is a pretty big week. What are racing next?

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

... which gets me ready for whatever marathon in October (maybe Berlin if I buy someone else's bib? or Cologne, Lucerne, Munich...although that is a dangerous place in October).

Delurk

No worries - the Oktoberfest starts in September and lasts until October 3rd. The Munich Marathon ist run October 8th. Makes for a nice taper .

Relurk

Don't hurry - next AG will start 2026

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Darkwave - amazing effort there with the workout as part of a race. I am wondering, so you qualify for the NYC marathon through a half marathon? Sorry, I am not following your racing calendar as closely - but either way congrats on making it.

Yes.  For me, my options of entering the 2024 NYC marathon are either:

1) getting in through a lottery (with small chances of success) or

2) running a qualifying time under these standards - there are both half and full marathon standards

With regard to a qualifying time, you can run that time at any race with a certified course.  However, entry to the NYC marathon based on a qualifying time is only guaranteed if you run that time at a race managed by NYRR, which is the group that manages the NYC marathon.  If you run that time at any other race, there are a limited number of slots open, and they sell out quickly.

So that's why I went up to New York to run a half-marathon there.  So that when NYC marathon entries open, I don't need to worry about the lottery or about being online right when entries open to grab a spot before it sells out.  I can enter at any time within the two weeks that entries are open.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Darkwave - With regard to small changes in road incline, I agree with you that they're beneficial, but for me only when running a half.  When running a 5k I'm constantly fighting to hold onto my pace for dear life whereas with a half I have to be more moderate.  It's probably just something I have to work on.  Are you running NYC this year too?  Did your half last weekend go well enough to qualify for 2024, or won't you know for a while?  If I recall correctly, time-qualifying for NYC is actually harder than it is for Boston, though maybe that's changed since I last looked.

Mick - We joke that my parents come to see their grandkids, not their kids, but deep down they come for both.  My son ran 22:34, which frustrated him - he's been chasing sub-22 ever since he ran 22:00.7 a couple months ago.  My father ran track and XC in college, so he was really excited about being in a race atmosphere (when he graduated in the 50's there wasn't a big running scene yet for him to continue, plus he got drafted).  With regard to marathon training, I am going to be using Hansons, but beware the longest run in that plan is 16 miles so if you're looking for multiple 20-milers, the plan may not be for you (unless you alter it).  I know what you mean about hills.  I have mixed feelings about them.  A good hills run can feel really great, but a bad one can be an ordeal.

Hash - Nice week.  Yes, I probably got shortest distance home-to-race-to-home.  Best part was no line for the bathroom pre-race.

Mark - Congrats on being 3rd OA at the trail race. I think the trail races you signed up for will definitely help you.  There's a local runner here who switched his training to the steep ridge north of town (i.e. much more elevation) and went from being a 3:15 marathoner to a 3:00 marathoner.  There used to be a trail run near me that had one part so steep that everyone just walked it (and single file because it was narrow), but it had plenty of slopes that were challenging to run on.  I don't like handhelds because I feel they throw off my balance.  I wind up with less arm swing on the side holding the bottle.  Do you have a way around that, or does it just not bother you?  Yes, it was great to walk 50' from the finish line and sit down in a camp chair under a shade tent and watch the rest of the runners come in.

Steve - Thanks.  It's hard for me to imagine 7 20-milers, but then they take you less time to complete than me.   I've almost given up on elevation readings.  Strava and Garmin rarely agree, and not only with each other but with themselves.  I can run the same route multiple times and both can give me elevation readings that differ by more than 10%.

Watson - Thanks.  I agree that 20-milers are a matter of personal preference (though Hansons says they're counterproductive if they take more than 3  hours as that raises the risk of injury).  Sorry your glute is still bothering you, but glad you could do the ParkRun anyway.

James - Yeah, the first spell of hot days often sets me back too.  Good luck deciding which half to run in the fall.

Mostly easy runs for me last week with a 10-mile hill run early on and ending the week with the race.  35.3 miles / 56.8 km / 5:58:13.

Date Workout Type Distance Duraction Pace Temp
                            5/15/2023   Easy   6.4 mi 1:06:17 10:22  63
                            5/16/2023  Hills Easy 10.0 mi 1:43:56 10:24  57
                            5/18/2023   Easy   6.1 mi 1:01:47 10:08  46
                            5/19/2023   Easy   5.0 mi    52:47 10:34  66
                            5/20/2023   Easy   3.7 mi    39:29 10:41  59
                            5/21/2023 Warmup Easy   1.0 mi      9:45   9:46  57
                            5/21/2023

Greta's Run 5k 

Race   5.0 km    24:11   7:48  61

Half Crazy K 2.0

Last week felt a little scattered. I've been going into tthe office Mondays and Thursdays for the last 2 school years. Sunday evening, I went to go to the grocery store and every warning sensor on my car alerted me to a completely flat tire. DH got the spare on and then I worked from home Monday and took my car to get the tire fixed in the afternoon. Car dealerships get a little worried when you show up to the service department with a 1 month old car. Luckily tire was fixable and I bought the road hazard coverage, so it was free aside from the time. I wound up in the office Tuesday, so each day after that felt off.

Monday am 3.8 miles (probably longer, shut the watch off because there was not much running going on after about mile 3 due to a nosebleed). pm 4 miles on the treadmill

Tuesday rest day

Wednesday am 6 miles with 8 x 200 pm strength traiining (total body)

Thursday rest day

Friday am 6 miles  pm lower body strength traianing

Saturday 3 easy

Sunday 5.3 with 10 x 200 plus upper body strength training

I dedcided to try something different over the summer and mapped out a Daniel's mile plan to see if getting faster over shorter distances will make any difference. Plus, it seems morre manageable for summer sincce I don;t do well in heat.

James, that's a tough choice with poor organization & good course. Was it a new race so some of the issues could be pointed towards just inexperience?

watson, ouch, 12 work days in a row is brutal. Are you in IT? I was part of an ERP project, but luckily my me, only on the fringe, so all the huge go live stress wasn't on me. I was mostly there to provide user input for how purchase orders get done.

Steve, nice week. For the hill run, do you do repeats of a hilly loop?

MJ, something else to consider for next marathon, is to get a consistent base. I think you are definitely on the right track with the point about sticking to your pace and not getting carried away in the excitement. Easier said than done, but it definitely is something that pays off late in the race.

Mark, cocngrats on the OA placing. I agree, trails require constant concentation. I'm usually good for about 4 miles until my mind wanders and then I usually wind up splatted onthe trail.

Fred, nicec 5k. I'm jealous you have one so close to home. The races that were within jogging distance from my house all got cancelled. I feel like there is a sweet spot with number of people--I tend to like a few hundred because typically after a mile the crowding eases. Even with the constant elevation changes, do you feel like you had a bit of an advantage since its your home turf?

Darkwave, I think the only near univeral sports bra opinioin is that the removable pads arer an utter pain in the ass and no one like them because they don't stay in place. Your reasoning for the HM in NY makes a lot of sense.

Hash, hope you are feeling better.

HK - sorry that your car experience started off like this & good effort on the road assistance package, I am usually too cheap to sign up to that. I was thinking of trying to take out the shorter distances one by one (mile, 5k, 10k, half) as part of the next marathon cycle, but I am not so sure about that - as speed usually gets me injured. And - I agree with you - for me the marathon effort needs to come from a solid base. I had a good 12 week 48-50 mile average, but that was just not enough. I am going with the 18 week plan now, and see if I can average 50 miles throughout the entire 4+ months....

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!