2023 The Waltons: Racing & Training Thread (Read 301 times)

JamesD

JamesD

40 would be a solid easy week, but I'm not back to where it feels easy yet - my legs are tired & I'm slower than usual.  Should be better in a week or two.  For a while two years ago I was in the high 40s/low 50s regularly (and a little higher on my occasional six-run weeks), and it'd be nice to get back to that mileage.  I will get (and deserve) no sympathy from anyone else because I'm retired and our son is off at college, but even so, life got in the way of running less during the pandemic than it does now.

James, that seems like a solid weekly mileage for you.  Are you trying to build higher?

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Half Crazy K 2.0

Monday am 7.2 miles with intervals   pm strength training

Tuesday short mobility workout

Wednesday am 6 easy on treadmill pm strength training

Thursday rest day

Friday 3.2 easy treadmill

Saturday 9 with 4 x 5 min tempo (did this in the second half of the run)

Sunday 2 easy treadmill + strength training

ccoakley, I may have hid in the room that became my office with my laptop "working" in the very early days of the pandemic when work was figuring out how to do on-line school when MIL was staying with us for a few days. I totally understand valuing the time out of the house.

Mark, did you enjoy the wedding? Good food? Open bar?

JamesD, that looks like a solid week for a comeback

Fred, I feel like the younger kids have an advantage on the trails because they probably are less afraid of falling and if/when they do, it probably hurts them less,

Darkwave, not sure if it was actually our wedding that people enjoyed or the free hotel & flight to Vegas (small group of family & friends). Still significantly cheaper than a traditional wedding.

Mick, enjoy the skiing.

zebano

Mark - you continue to churn out really nice weeks

James - for recently taking time off that's a really good week.

HCK -  yeah falling just loses it's appeal the older I get. That's a good choice. Regarding trail running, not being afraid of falling is IMO something of a mentality. Yeah, it hurts kids less but we can still choose to race all out or not, and as a bit of an aside, overcoming some of that fear is harder on a bicycle than while running.

Watson - I got the race up. Shame about the result but yeah totally expected if you lifted  the day before. Even 2 days before can ruin a race IME.

DWave - wow that's a really quick turnaround and it sounds like the new meds are super promising! I hope they help you get back to racing hard enough you have to take time off. (your race should be up)

CC - were you waiting for the bus while doing hill sprints or is that just the location? I totally understand leaving strava. I'm just not sure the pressures it puts on us are in any way healthy.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

zebano

My week was a step back from last week (which is really where I want to be) but I got the minimum work done.

easy hour with 6x:30 uphill strides mixed in.

T just under an hour with Billat 20x30/30. PM: easy mile then lift.

W easy 45' + mobility. PM: 30' bike

Th hour treadmill with 10x1/1. Found out that I can keep my stride smooth up to about 9.5 mph on the on parts but jumped it up to 10 for the last one and I was forcing the pace.

easy 40'

off, camping with my kids' scout troop

Sun 2h15m / 14.4 mi long run. I really struggled between 60-90 min with lots of strange niggles that were changing my stride. Snapped out of it at 90 min and the rest was ok. I'm putting the blame on failing to do my mobility work but ugg who knows? Fingers crossed that I'm ok. Was feeling strange pulling in my low back (sciata?) and down my right leg.

45 miles

I've got an open weekend so I'd like one more 50 mile week before a recovery week but getting in all the supplementary stuff this time around is more important. I also need to start swimming at some point as I am signed up for a triathlon but I have 5 months.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

HCK, Zebano - The trail I race on is a pretty well maintained one (they use it for high school XC races) and falling was never a worry for me, though I have been on harder trails where it's definitely a consideration.  Anway, here's a race report for those who like to read them.

Winter Race Series #4, 10k - 1/21/23

The field for the race was much smaller this time than when I ran it two weeks ago, so I ran alone much of the time (or so I thought), so this is going to be a bit more of a numbers-based report than commenting on other runners around me.

Two weeks ago I was holding back a little bit during the first part of the race, still feeling some pain in my knee and hip, and I just missed running in under an hour, posting a 1:00:01 (or 59:16).  My goal for Saturday was to finish in under an hour.  I memorized my splits form last time (9:50, 9:15, 9:10, 10:13, 10:02, and 9:21) and set off, determined not to go out too fast, but not to dog it for the first mile.

The first mile of the race is the second hardest mile of the course, but I ran it in 9:19, so I was already ahead by 31 seconds.  I was definitely feeling tired after the mile, which is mostly uphill and into the wind, and was worried I'd spent too much effort already.  I settled down and focused on running strong and got the second mile done in 9:11, so my gap was up to 35 seconds.  The third mile is where you make up time on this course - long stretches of easy terrain mostly downhill; I finished in 8:49 so my cushion was up to 56 seconds.  Feeling good.

Mile 4 is the hardest.  The race runs two loops of a 5k course and part of the last 0.11 miles is the steepest uphill section.  Thus mile 4 has most of mile 1 in it, plus this steep climb.  I ran the mile in 9:54, adding 19 seconds to my cushion, taking it up to 1:15.  In mile 5 (and 2) there's a long section across and open grass field and just like two weeks ago, someone came up on me out of nowhere and passed me at speed.  It was the same guy both times - one of the half marathon runners and I suspect one of the people who regularly finish the trail half in under 1:30.  Other than him, nobody passed me, though I occasionally thought I heard footsteps behind me, but they weren't consistent so I figured they were some kind of echo.  Anyway, mile 5 went by in 9:46, taking my cushion up to 1:31.  With more than 90 seconds in the bank, I was confident of getting done in under 1 hour, but I stayed focused on mile 6, which my watch told me was 9:16, so I had 1:36 extra with 0.21 miles to go.  I was still hearing occasional footsteps, but nothing came of it.  I made the final turned and headed up the hill, though not charging as hard as last time.  I glanced at my watch and it was already ticking towards 59:00.  What happened to my cushion?

I finished in 58:57, 64 seconds faster than last time, but where did I lose 32 seconds?  Was my math off because my body was diverting energy from my brain to my legs?  No.  It turns out my watch was a little bit ahead of last time in my splits.  Two weeks ago my watch registered the course as 6.25 miles while this time it was 6.30 (my son ran the 5k and his watch also went longer, going from 3.14 to 3.17).  So part of my cushion was eaten up running an extra 0.05 miles.  Still, even adjusting for that, I'd lost 26 seconds.  Looking at the final split, I did, indeed run it a lot slower than 2 weeks ago - partly because I was much more tired from running the course harder this time so I didn't have as much energy left for the final climb, and partly because two weeks ago I was working hard to get in under an hour while this time I had it made, so I wasn't pushing quite as hard.  And those phantom footsteps?  They may quite well have been the small, 13-year old only 10 seconds behind me who appears to be so light that it would not surprise me if her running was silent most of the time.  I guess I'll be looking over my shoulder when I run it again in two weeks.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
            10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

zebano

Fred, Nice race, it's always good to stay ahead of the kids and keep them humble. It builds character or something.  Was the course actually different or did your watch just record more distance?

Marky_Mark_17

Darkwave - good news on the recovery. I've found that a lot with summer halves in hot conditions where the temperature ends up being the limiting factor rather than the body.

Fred - good to hear the body is improving, fingers crossed that continues (ideally at a faster rate than the 14 year old's progress).

Caitlin - ahh hill sprints. I love them but I hate them.

Kathi - it was an open bar but I stopped drinking just over a year ago so it was 0% beers for me.  Gotta say, I don't think anyone is gonna pull off a cuter first dance than those two, mainly because of the massive advantage that having 3 year old twin girls gives you in the cuteness stakes.

Zebano - weird one on the long run but glad it came right!  Normally things just get progressively worse on those ones.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Fred, Nice race, it's always good to stay ahead of the kids and keep them humble. It builds character or something.  Was the course actually different or did your watch just record more distance?

The course is a 5k loop (often used for high school XC competitions) so it doesn't change in size.  I suppose I might be more or less efficient running the tangents from one race to another, but it's also likely to simply be the GPS margin of error.

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Status update and shoe report.

I met my RP at the track today for 6 x 800m with 400m recoveries.  My plan was not only to get back to some speed work, but to try out a couple pairs of new track shoes I'd ordered online.  The last time I ran 800's, earlier this year,  I ran around 3:44.  Today I wanted to start out slower than that to see how my leg would do and build up the speed.  I put on the New Balance Fuel Cell Rebels, first.  They felt pretty good on my feet, though a bit "bouncy" in running.  I ran 3:56, 3:52, and 3:48, then took a break to change into a pair of Brooks Launch 9.  After the cushioned NB shoes, the Brooks felt hard and unforgiving, though I've done track work in similar shoes before.  However, the Brooks weren't even comfortable for my feet.  I ran 3:54 and 3:50 in the Brooks and after the second 800 in them my left hamstring was complaining, so I switched back to the NB and ran a 3:49 without a problem.  I'll be returning the Brooks shoes.  I like the NB shoes, but I think they help me run faster, which means I'm not working as hard as I was when I ran a 3:44 800 in my old shoes, so to get as much effort/benefit in the new shoes, I may need to pick up the pace a bit - but only once I feel confident in my knee/hip.  So the workout went well, but I need to make sure to get up and move around regularly today.

zebano

Fred glad things are working out. I saw on strava that Piwi and Mark had an in person meetup.

JamesD

JamesD

They may quite well have been the small, 13-year old only 10 seconds behind me who appears to be so light that it would not surprise me if her running was silent most of the time.  I guess I'll be looking over my shoulder when I run it again in two weeks.

Good race, Fred, and nice RR.  As quickly as teenagers improve, you may be looking ahead at her shoulder in two weeks.  Since I only run a few races each year, I rarely get to know any of the kids who are around my speed.  By the time of the next race we both run, they've either stopped running, left for college, or are way ahead of me.  Sorry to see that your race's worst hill is at the end.  That's no fun, but for me, what's even worse is when a punishing hill is a little ways before the end and is followed by a flat stretch where I just can't get back up to speed.  My favorite half course had a long gradual hill for most of the third mile, which was the perfect place since I had gotten the stiffness out and was still full of energy.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Good race, Fred, and nice RR.  As quickly as teenagers improve, you may be looking ahead at her shoulder in two weeks.  Since I only run a few races each year, I rarely get to know any of the kids who are around my speed.  By the time of the next race we both run, they've either stopped running, left for college, or are way ahead of me.  Sorry to see that your race's worst hill is at the end.  That's no fun, but for me, what's even worse is when a punishing hill is a little ways before the end and is followed by a flat stretch where I just can't get back up to speed.  My favorite half course had a long gradual hill for most of the third mile, which was the perfect place since I had gotten the stiffness out and was still full of energy.

Quite right.

Also, I have the same problem of struggling to regain my pace after a big hill near the end of a race.

ccoakley

JamesD, high 40s/low 50s is where I'm hoping to get to also.

HCK, still impressed by your treadmill fortitude

Zebano, yes the hill sprints were while waiting for the bus.  I hear what you're saying about the mental stress but my break is part of a larger effort to cut out the time suck apps on my phone.  Figure I'll go cold turkey for a few weeks and then see what I really miss and try to add it back more purposefully.  Still a great week, good luck with maintaining all the extras this week.

Fred, glad everything's feeling better for speed work.

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)

Half Crazy K 2.0

ccoakley, the treadmill definitely required a change in mindset. Probably 10 years ago, we had a winter where we kept getting nuisance amounts of snow all winter. There was no way I could run outside after dark safely due to the totally inconsistent pavement (you'd have plenty clear, then black ice or ankle breaking frozen snow) and I figured out the only way I wass going to run safely was on the dreaded treadmill.

With kids in races, there is a local club for kids and they do quite a few races. Nothing like being out of breathe while 2 tweens are holding a conversation while passing. Their coach totld them if they stopped talking, they would run fasterr.

Hi everyone hope you are all well.

Yes met Mark for a jog yesterday. Luckily he had done his workout in the morning so it was a light 5 miler with me 

He looks fit as hell. Best way to describe him is imagine a white Kenyan 

I browse the forums but didn't join this year due to not training for racing. I am still basically the same weight as I was when running more so that's good. I run about 3 times per week and on the other days do weights or surf.

Keep up the good work everyone and I will continue to follow your progress.

Cheers Piwi

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "