Falling in Love While Running (Read 370 times)

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Ok, I admit that I fell in love with running while... ya know... running.

But I also fell in love with the love of my life while running. What does that mean? Well I added a new countdown widget to my log today, that is a count down to marrying my running partner on June 4th. While training to qualify for Boston, my training partner and I fell in love with each other, each without knowing how the other one felt. Shortly after the big revelation and declaration of love, we both qualified for Boston. Since then, the running has taken a little bit of a backseat to the romance, but the marriage is in the works and we will be running Boston together as man and wife. I've got a running partner for life now.

What did you fall in love with while running?

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

BeeRunB

Collecting hundreds of pictures of myself running, inviting friends over, and showing them slideshows. I think they fell in love with the whole thing, too.  Especially the ones of me on the treadmill the past few years.

man and wife

Do people still say this? Anyway, congrats on the engagement (& on the BQ). On June 4th I celebrate being married to my non-running partner for 21 years. That works sometimes too.

Dave

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I put on a little race every Fall. I've had 3 couples meet around the race and eventually get married.

Dream Maker

No fair. I never had a spouse in my goody bag.

I put on a little race every Fall. I've had 3 couples meet around the race and eventually get married.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

In 2013, we also gave away cats as door prizes

rlopez

Monkey makes dreams come true.

If not nightmares.

Feeling the growl again

I didn't fall in love with my wife while running, but when a woman tolerates taking backseat to 100+ mpw and nonstop talking about running and Olympic trials and can eventually critique your friends on their training while not being a serious runner themselves, you gotta realize they have made a commitment to you and are probably better than you deserve.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

No Talent Drips

and can eventually critique your friends on their training while not being a serious runner themselves

Or exactly what you deserve; the universe provides.

Dei Gratia

Omg....I could not believe this topic......when you run with someone, I mean really run with them you get to know them, the inner them.

It started 12+ years ago, I had just started running and she had ran for almost 20 years - she suggested I join her for a run.

We were friends and we ran, for years we ran, we were friends.  We did races together, for years we raced together, we were friends. I would go out of my way to meet her for our weekend runs, I would follow her to out of town races, finish a long(i.e. ultra) race then backtrack to pace her in, we were good friends - this was our normal  - we were good friends.  I thought I loved her and she never knew, we were good friends.  Our friends thought our 'relationship' was odd but that's just the way we were.

At ~mile eighty of the Headlands Hundred she sat on a wooden fence, totally defeated, totally spent, her body failing.  My hands gently cupped her face and I looked deep into her eyes and knew at that moment this was the woman for me.

A year or two later driving back from another Miwok 100K we had 'the conversation' - it was uncomfortable, we learned many things about each other.  We were married this past June and have finally found our soul-mate.

WARNING - Both of our former spouses would strongly suggest if you are married to a runner that spends a lot of time running with someone else then, well, maybe there are other conversations that should occur.

As for our running, we run less and are far happier just being together.

joescott

Omg....I could not believe this topic......when you run with someone, I mean really run with them you get to know them, the inner them.

True.  My closest friend over the last decade or so is a guy with whom I've spent hundreds, maybe thousands, of miles.  That's a lot of time to get to know someone.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Congrats, Scott!

I've found that it is great to have a significant other who loves to run. My running guy and I spend quite a bit of time talking during our runs together, and it's awesome.  It was a bit of a rough start initially since running can take too much priority when someone is used to being single, but we got it figured out. He and I will be getting married during a 50K. Since we both love to run and both love trails, it just makes sense. I was never one of those gals who dreamed of wearing uncomfortable shoes in an uncomfortable setting. I dream of trees and trails :-)

Trent, I am considering sacrificing my soon to be husband to the monkeys this year if they will have him. He's very excited about it. Little does he know...

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

jfa

Congrats, Scott!

He and I will be getting married during a 50K.

Congrats to the OP and

Congrats to you too Cassie! Very cool !

keeponrunning

Gee, maybe I really should make Monkey a priority over school!!

I hope when I do find "the one" he's a runner or at least crazy enough to support my addiction.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Thanks, Joe!

Congrats to you too Cassie! Very cool !

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!