insect repellent for cats ? (Read 1031 times)

We have an inside/outside cat who gets chewed by mosquitos every year.  ( Don't worry, she's an odd cat who never leaves the yard , ever ) 

The  Vet is really of no help.  She said we can't put any repellent on her other than Skin So Soft. 

They go after her ears, nose, and eyes.  It's terrible.

I found some wipes that say they are all natural, and Paba and Deet free.  They are sort of expensive. I'm just wondering if they work or not.

Has anyone had any luck or does anyone have any suggestions? 

- Anya

npaden

If the cat hangs out in the same spot you could use a Thermocell.  It gets expensive though too if you were going to run it every day.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

DoppleBock

seems cat repellent would be more useful to me.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

xor

Are they all natural for cats or people?

Cat chemistry is different than people chemistry (allergies and such) and they are much much smaller.  meaning dosages of chemicals and "natural stuff" also has to be much much smaller.  This is likely why the vet is putting the kibosh on this.

Is there a reason why the cat can't spend mosquito season inside?

Is there a reason why the cat can't spend mosquito season inside?

Yes, it's a whiner.  Big time.   It was almost a  total outside cat before I met my fiance.  But, I worked my  magic, and she's pretty much inside now., but outside some of the time.  She had a transitional time where she was allowed to sleep in the garage, but she sleeps inside all night now. 

But, like I said, it's a whiner.   You have never heard a more annoying animal.  Just sits there and whines to be let out when it's nice out.

- Anya

xor

I get it.

I do that too.

Wonder if there is some type of repellent approved for animals.  Like horses, cows, etc.

I told my step daughter we should get one of those " Off"  clip on things and put it on her collar.  

- Anya

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Some of the topical treatments and sprays for fleas and ticks like Bio Spot and Adams claim to also repel mosquitoes. I don't know how effective they are.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Some of the topical treatments and sprays for fleas and ticks like Bio Spot and Adams claim to also repel mosquitoes. I don't know how effective they are.

Really?  She's on Revolution, which doens't do a thing.  Interesting. 

- Anya

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wonder if there is some type of repellent approved for animals.  Like horses, cows, etc.

Exercise EXTREME caution with this.  The flea drops for dogs are highly toxic to cats--they include ingredients that the cat-specific formulations don't.  Even using the drops for cats on kittens is a great risk.  A friend of mine lost a <6 month old kitten when she used adult cat flea drops.  Poor little guy had a fatal seizure within an hour of her applying the drops.

I'm in the keep cats indoors all the time camp.  They may not like it, but you'll do a lot to ensure you have your furbaby for a lot longer.  There are so many risks to cats outdoors.  A childhood cat of mine lost a hind leg to a dog attack.  Same dog had killed a neighbor's (.5 mile away) cat just months earlier.  Yes, these people should not have allowed their dog to roam free, but we shouldn't have let our cat roam free, either--especially during the day when no one was home AND especially as my childhood cats had no front claws (that is another issue...declawing any cats is nasty, but then letting them outdoors is essentially putting a deathwish on a cat).  He spent >12 hours under our low deck bleeding and unable to walk.  When my parents got home after dark (after a day of work followed by choir practice) my dad had to tear the deck apart to get at him.  Cat spent the last years of his life as a tripod.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

I told my step daughter we should get one of those " Off"  clip on things and put it on her collar.  

Seriously, see what I said about size/dosage difference between cats and humans.  between cats and HORSES and COWS?  Even if there are, don't use them on a cat.  Just, no.

Also, as zoomzoom says, cat chemistry is different from (other species) chemistry.  Things are toxic to cats that are not toxic to other species.  This isn't specific to cats, really.  Dogs don't do well with chocolate. 

For example, it is really simple to accidentally poison a cat with aspirin.

Clipping Off to her collar is perhaps not a good idea either.  It's still chemicals at a constant dosage that might not be intended to be that close to a 6-15 pound creature constantly.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Seriously, see what I said about size/dosage difference between cats and humans.  between cats and HORSES and COWS?  Even if there are, don't use them on a cat.  Just, no.

Also, as zoomzoom says, cat chemistry is different from (other species) chemistry.  Things are toxic to cats that are not toxic to other species.  This isn't specific to cats, really.  Dogs don't do well with chocolate. 

For example, it is really simple to accidentally poison a cat with aspirin.

Clipping Off to her collar is perhaps not a good idea either.  It's still chemicals at a constant dosage that might not be intended to be that close to a 6-15 pound creature constantly.

This.  And what your vet said. 

steph  

I guess we'll try the skin so soft.  I wish I had a photo to show you of her chewed up face from last year, poor little thing.

But, now that she's getting older, she's less and less interested in the great outdoors. Which is good. She came from a farm in Zanesville Ohio, and was 100% outside, but would sleep in a barn.   

I also am a firm believer in cats being inside.  Mine have always been. Kiki is the exception, but I made this awesome place for her to sleep in a basement cabinet, and she loves it. She can hide from her little brother, I mean Uncle, ( don't ask )  Gotti the bully.  

- Anya

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

We had a cat we got from a farm as a kitten.  He was an outdoor cat from the get-go.  We tried to keep him inside, but he would constantly zip through an opened door before anyone could stop him.  I have wondered if it was his early environment or he had a strong outdoor gene.  He eventually got hit by a car.

We had a cat we got from a farm as a kitten.  He was an outdoor cat from the get-go.  We tried to keep him inside, but he would constantly zip through an opened door before anyone could stop him.  I have wondered if it was his early environment or he had a strong outdoor gene.  He eventually got hit by a car.

Well, his brother, I mean uncle, Gotti, is strictly an  inside cat.  You have no idea how paranoid I am that one of the kids will let him out, since Kiki can go outside. 

We have also discovered that both cats can open the screen door by themselves.    I was horrified to see Gotti sitting on the deck on night.  I thought it was my daughter leaving the door open, but later my fiance took a video of him opening it himself.  No joke. 

The screen door is never used now Sad

Sorry about your kitty.

- Anya