Pollution or HTFU? (Read 757 times)

Just saw in the paper this morning that their is a pollution advisory which covers most of southern MN for heat, humidity, ozone, and fine particulates. The suggestion is to stay inside for the usual suspects with respiratory issues, children, etc. and people engaging in vigorous exercise. So, the question is ... does one listen to the experts or just HTFU?

The young Mama Bear!

Honestly, I'd value my lungs and stay inside. HTFU should be left for other, safer things. Wink
      Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
      Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.

~Gordo~

There is always the dreadmill. I hate running on it, but when we had the Dismal Swamp fires, it was hard to breathe just walking into work, let alone running. So I did my run on the dreadmill.
        !If you don't...you won't! ~Remember the light at the end of tunnel maybe you~ ~If you choose not to decided, you still have made a choice~
          Here in Greenville, SC we get Ozone warnings this time of year. I just go run (or play Ultimate) and blame my fatigue on those polluting scumbags in Altanta (instead of blaming my low training mileage)! Big grin

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

I vote for HTFU. We get our share of "Danger! Don't go outside! For God's sake don't exercise!" warnings here in Nashville during the haziest parts of the summer. I (and most other runners I know) usually run anyway and never notice any respiratory problems. Howver, I suppose if you have some breathing/lung problems, you may consider not HTFUing.

JakeKnight

I vote for HTFU. We get our share of "Danger! Don't go outside! For God's sake don't exercise!" warnings here in Nashville during the haziest parts of the summer. I (and most other runners I know) usually run anyway and never notice any respiratory problems. Howver, I suppose if you have some breathing/lung problems, you may consider not HTFUing.
              <highjack> God, how I hate you. Let me count the ways. You're worse than a biker. </highjack> And to the OP - HTFU and go run. The "experts" - aren't. And they're talking to mere mortals, not to you. You're a marathoner. Go run.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

TJoseph

You could try to get out early in the morning before it gets bad. Haile Gebrselassie won't be running the marathon in Beijing because of the pollution.
                  Just run. MTA: Or, don't.
                  Katie H

Chicago winter running

Seriously? Its not hard to find data on the negative side effects of running in a smoky/polluted environment. I did one Pubmed search on "pollution, lungs, inflammation" and it brings up tons of articles. Inflammatory responses, impaired gas exchange, reduced lung function... I take care of my lungs and my lungs take care of me so I run indoors on those smoky days (which we get here too- WS100 was canceled). With a little imagination, you can get a solid workout on the TM. Just one physiologist and runner's opinion though!
                    We must speak with all the humility that is appropriate to our limited vision, but we must speak. - MLK Jr.
                      semi-thread hijack (and useless advice): You're okay to run as long as you're smoking a cigarette. My theory is that the cigarette filter will help purify the air resulting in a net decrease in total pollution reaching your lungs. I live in western Canada so I've never had to deal with pollution days, despite living in Alberta with all our "dirty oil "as candidate Obama likes to say (and is absolutely right) Smile . I saw a cyclicst wearing one of these the other day: (The sales pitch) Weight: 45g (Med) Don’t let a little bad air come in between you and your daily commute! The Respro® Techno neoprene mask features two filtration systems that screen out sub-micron-sized pollutants like dust. Also has an activated charcoal filter to absorb vapours and gases. There are two valves specifically designed to improve airflow performance as you exhale. Great for any outside exercise in a polluted urban environment. Filters out hydrocarbons, sulphur dioxide, lead oxide, and smoke, as well as sub-micron particulates including pollen dust, rapeseed dust and other irritants. Rapid airflow valve system for easy exhalation. Velcro® fastening ensures an effective seal. Durable and fully washable. Replacement filters available.
                        I think it also depends on you personally. For me, I'm an asthmatic, and on bad air days I notice a difference because I cannot breathe - and if I can't breathe, I can't run worth crap. I either run before the sun comes up, or on the dreadmill - on the advice of my pulmonologist.
                        pjena

I'm in MN, too, and have asthma. I'm deciding on a day by day basis. Yesterday felt heavy and humid and icky when I got up, so I did not run. This morning (pre sun) felt ok, so I ran.
                          Carps10

generally the air is only unhealthy at the hottest part of the day when those warnings come out. if you get out in the early AM or late PM then the air won't be unhealthy(or at the least, no more unhealthy than usual)
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think it also depends on you personally. For me, I'm an asthmatic, and on bad air days I notice a difference because I cannot breathe - and if I can't breathe, I can't run worth crap.
                              These are the days when just sitting in a chair can feel like suffocation.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay