So what are my chances at sub 17 5k by February? (Read 1478 times)

This thread delivers

khardrunner

]

Feeling the growl again

I wasn't really looking for training advice, just a general consensus amongst a few other runners as to whether or not it  can be done. 

Well, see, this is where you have people flummoxed.  You say you've been WAY faster than that in the not-so-distant past, so there is little question as to whether it can be done.  It's entirely a matter of whether you want to (ie, if you will put in enough work to get there).  Then you basically say you don't really want to (ie you won't train) but ask us to project if that will be enough to get there.  This is why I predicted up front how this thread would turn out.

I really hope you get your goal...as you interpret the reaction here remember that most here are also busy people with lives where running is only a hobby...but they still find ways to fit running into their lives and prioritize it in such a way that they can seek to optimize their performance within those limits.  In other words, they're seeking to do the best they can with the resources they have.  Perhaps it is subtle but this is different than the tone of your post and among driven, competitive people this can illicit a certain reaction.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

... it seems as though the runners here have said it's doable, ...

As opposed to the others here that log miles on here and aren't runners...

Thanks coach.

FWIW, I was going to leave this all alone, but I questioned why a "coach" would ask this type of question.

It's different than "can I run 750 miles during the course of my pregnancy?" or "can I run a 4 hour marathon?" or "can I run a 3:30 marathon?"

I saw the same as others saw... 

But I'm not really a runner.

Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

I think you will do it.

With that, whats the point? You have done it before, you clearly don't care that much to actually train hard for it. Funny, there is usually a good article in runners world every month about "training less and getting faster." This whole thread is really funny, everyone wants something for less or to take the easy way to get there.

But what do I know, I'm just a hobby jogger trying putting in a lot more miles trying to get to mid 17 and eventually sub 17.

From the archives (and fairly familiar sound to your recent question)....

Coach Hbrook

posted: 5/28/2009 at 11:57 AM

Mainly a lurker here but I'm curious to see what you guys think my chances are at a race I have next weekend.

Some history:

Runner through college and HS with a PR of 15:45 (not a good race)

26 now and coaching

ran 2 5ks in the last year with only about 20 mpw and no workouts in 17:27 and 17:25 (3 degrees outside)

Ran a fairly easy 4:50 solo mile about a month ago

Gotten some tempo and a bit of track work in over the last 6 weeks

I've been running more consistantly since I've not been hurt, but still only in the 25-30 mpw range (usually around 6:40 pace). So, given good weather and a fair course, can I run the sub 17? I've gotta beat my HS kids!

Coach Hbrook

posted: 6/7/2009 at 5:19 AM
              modified: 6/7/2009 at 5:19 AM

Nice work!

Ran that 5k yesterday. The weather was nice, but I couldn't find a pace on the first mile to save my life. The course was hilly with a 200m steep hill in the first mile, a 600m gradual hill at the begining of mile 3, and a 350 meter hill near the end of mile 3. Yeah, mile 3 was tough!

Ran 5:44, 5:24, and 5:45 (1.1mile = 5:13 pace). One of my HS kids was RIGHT on my butt the whole race and I couldn't shake him until the last hill. He's tough!

16:51 or so at the end.

---

Coach,
              I think you can do it.

I think you know that you can do it.

Have fun.
              Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

khardrunner

j

From the archives (and fairly familiar sound to your recent question)....

Coach Hbrook

posted: 5/28/2009 at 11:57 AM

Mainly a lurker here but I'm curious to see what you guys think my chances are at a race I have next weekend.

Some history:

Runner through college and HS with a PR of 15:45 (not a good race)

26 now and coaching

ran 2 5ks in the last year with only about 20 mpw and no workouts in 17:27 and 17:25 (3 degrees outside)

Ran a fairly easy 4:50 solo mile about a month ago

Gotten some tempo and a bit of track work in over the last 6 weeks

I've been running more consistantly since I've not been hurt, but still only in the 25-30 mpw range (usually around 6:40 pace). So, given good weather and a fair course, can I run the sub 17? I've gotta beat my HS kids!

Coach Hbrook

posted: 6/7/2009 at 5:19 AM
                  modified: 6/7/2009 at 5:19 AM

Nice work!

Ran that 5k yesterday. The weather was nice, but I couldn't find a pace on the first mile to save my life. The course was hilly with a 200m steep hill in the first mile, a 600m gradual hill at the begining of mile 3, and a 350 meter hill near the end of mile 3. Yeah, mile 3 was tough!

Ran 5:44, 5:24, and 5:45 (1.1mile = 5:13 pace). One of my HS kids was RIGHT on my butt the whole race and I couldn't shake him until the last hill. He's tough!

16:51 or so at the end.

---

Coach,
                  I think you can do it.

I think you know that you can do it.

Have fun.
                  Brian

OMG I am so glad I read this one to the end. So vanity it is? LMAO!!

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

Brian, seems you struck a nerve....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xor

bzaganjo's name makes me want to say "bazinga".  Or "banjo".

bzaganjo's name makes me want to say "bazinga".  Or "banjo".

Ive def heard Banjo on RA but not Bazinga
                          L Train

Ive def heard Banjo on RA but not Bazinga

I'll admit, I want to say "Bash" but it always comes out "buh-JANG-go".

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Q and R

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.