What's more important...heart rate or pace? (Read 1541 times)

Ok, I'm not trying to start a war here and the fact that I posted here means that I'm talking about beginning and intermediate runners. There's a post in the gears forum about buying a 205 vs 305 and most people that have chimed in seem to indicate that they don't care about HR. This doesn't make sense to me because if I have to look at a number, I think HR is much more important than pace. The biggest problem most beginners face is either over- or under-training. If someone tells me that they ran 10 miles at 9:00/mile that means nothing. If the same person tells me they ran that with an avg HR of 200 BPM then I would suggest they slow down before they die. If they say their HR was 70 then I would suggest they speed up. I understand that during a race, pace is everything but what's the obsession with pace during training? I understand that level of effort or feel may be a better indicator than HR but it takes a long time to dial those things in properly.
    2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly
    Scout7

To me: Neither. I own a 305. I don't look at anything but elapsed time and distance.
      CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I think Scout is right. That said, to me, heart rate means nothing to me; I don't know my maximum and haven't done the appropriate tests to get an accurate number nor do I care. I go by feel.I don't want to be tied to worrying about numbers. I think heart rate unnecessarily complicates things for a new runner. Get out there and run. See how you feel. A super high heart rate won't be sustainable and your body will slow you down. Pace is not something I worry about either, but I can see it on my log and it's one more way for me to guage improvement over time. (I was running 12:30 and now I'm comfortable still but seeing numbers under 12.) I run what I run and I track time and distance. (MTA: I don't own a Garmin, a Forerunner, a Polar or a heart rate monitor and I'm perfectly happy building my base without.)

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Neither...but I mostly run by feel and by what my lungs allow. Asthma is a fantastic limiter. It's very hard for me to overdo it on pace when I can't breathe. Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

For me...analyzing HR data from my 305 is a sure fire way to ruin a good run. Now I don't use the HR strap and just run what I feel.
            mikeymike

More important for what?

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

I understand that level of effort or feel may be a better indicator than HR but it takes a long time to dial those things in properly.
                Yes, it takes a long time to dial that stuff in properly, and the fun of it is that the dial must constantly be adjusted. This is why you should go ahead and start trying to tune into the information that matters. The best way to monitor effort is to pay attention to effort. Sure, you're not going to be great at it at first, but that's why it's important to begin to practice. It's not like how to use a HRM or Garmin pace read-outs is self-evident, either. The specificity of the numbers are really just giving you a false sense that you know what's going on. Guess what. You don't know what's going on. It's okay. Keep running. Because you don't know what's going on, it's important to start every run conservatively, especially at the beginning. If you work from easy paces where you are alert and aware of your effort levels and work into harder efforts, then you'll get a sense of the different sorts of "thresholds" of effort. I think that one mistake that beginning runners make (which the wide variety of gadgets reinforces) is that they don't think of training as learning a skill. They think of it as either a type of punishment that later will bring a reward, or as a series of tests that they have to pass before they will be "in shape." But learning to run well is just like mastering any other skill. It is learned by doing it with consistency and attention over a long interval of time.
                JimR

The biggest problem most beginners face is either over- or under-training.
                  Maybe in terms of a training perspective, that might be true. However, for a beginning runner it's more important that they create a consistent regime of getting out the door and simply running. I'm not sure how much a beginner has to gain by getting caught up in effort levels and HR values and the multitude of numbers that come out of it all. A beginning runner needs to decide if running is for them and if they enjoy it, do the things necessary to make them runners first. The problem with throwing monitors and gadgets on a beginning runner, we all know we'll have good days and bad days and beginners can be very susceptible to negative feedback or not reaching the expectations of a run in terms of HR and distance and all that stuff. You can end up with too much stuff to think about. They just need to be out there running, getting in time 2, 3, 4 or whatever days a week. Being consistent and enjoying their development, going further this day than you have before and finally getting that hour long run in and stuff like that. After a year or so, if they like it and really feel like they want to do better and run faster or further, then they can start looking at techniques and training schedules, get whatever equipment they might want to try out, understand it all work with it. HR can help there. If they aren't interested in forking out money for equipment then effort level and breathing provides plenty of feedback. HR training is perfectly fine, I have no issues with it at all. The one problem I do have is when someone takes a HR monitor to a race. Leave it at home on race day (or at least turn off the alarm and ignore the numbers), that's the day you need to push it and you'll never know what you're made of if you follow the numbers on a HR instead of just going for it.

A Saucy Wench

. If someone tells me that they ran 10 miles at 9:00/mile that means nothing. If the same person tells me they ran that with an avg HR of 200 BPM then I would suggest they slow down before they die. If they say their HR was 70 then I would suggest they speed up. I understand that during a race, pace is everything but what's the obsession with pace during training? I understand that level of effort or feel may be a better indicator than HR but it takes a long time to dial those things in properly.
                    See I would look at that same statement differently. "And how did the last mile feel" "And how did you feel an hour afterwards" "And how did you feel the next day when you went running again" "And after a week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks of running like that how does it feel" It really doesn't take that long to "approximately" know how hard I really ran. And maybe today my cardiovascular system wasn't my limiter. Truthfully you are missing a 3rd option for important. EFFORT Pace means little. I was running yesterday on 2 hours of fractured sleep. What looks like a pathetic (for me) 10:24 pace was actually a normal "easy 9:30-9:45" effort...or possibly a bit harder. HR can be fooled the same way. Actually the best use I ever got out of my HRM is it told me I was pregnant a full week before the little blue line showed up. Coincidentally the last day I ever wore that beast. MTA: What REALLY is most important is what will get you out the door. If you like gadgets and numbers GREAT. Wear your HRM, analyze your runs. If doing that makes you crazy DONT. There is only what works for you. But the vast majority of beginners get caught up in how they "SHOULD" run and forget that they should mostly "JUST RUN"

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Feeling the growl again

The problem is, when you get down to it, both pace and HR are surrogates for effort. Both have their positives and negatives. If the weather is inclement (hot, humid etc) neither may be good. HR is instantaneous, allowing more real-time feedback, but I would argue that that could be information overload to a newer runner. It is the overall effort of the workout that is more important than any instantaneous reading anyways. For intervals, HR is next to useless but pace is good. In the end, you'll be better off learning the skill and knowing what you're doing by listening to your body. After YEARS I can now go through my log and correlate both HR and pace accurately, but that is highly individual so you need that database to do it right.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Dave

What Spaniel said. I wear my HRM on pretty much every run. Sometimes I pay attention to it. Sometimes I don't. In my best races, I've ignored it. I really only allow my HR to affect my pace on intentionally easy days and then only to slow it down. When I see my pace get faster at the same HR I'm pretty sure I'm improving but there are so many variables, you can't really take anything as gospel (temperature, whether I'm running before or after a meal, if I've run a lot of miles lately, humidity....). MTA: Also what Ennay said. It helps me get out the door so on that level it does help me.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

A Saucy Wench

I keep coming back to this and I figured out why. In this and the other thread you state something about beginners and intermediate runners NEEDING this feedback more than advanced runners. In my opinion it is, if anything, the opposite. Beginning runners have so many areas at which they are capable of improvement (endurance, pacing, speed, etc.) that just plain running without too much stress will give them large gains. HRM, Pace, beyond learning to run easy most of the time (which you can learn without any tools) are fancier than needed to make good gains. I would guess simply running consistantly (run lots, mostly easy sometimes hard) will get you 80+% of your potential to improve. More if you are really out of shape to start. Now you COULD make the argument that an intermediate runner who discovers they are a very imbalanced runner may need to focus on a type of running to help balance themselves out (i.e. a runner who has good leg strength but poor wind, or good endurance but trouble finding another gear). But again, simply running and being aware of what you need to change is often enough to move in the right direction. In this stage I think occasional monitoring of pace/HR might be of use, if only to verify "oh so THATS what it feels like". But you can make good gains simply by stating your weakness (i.e. "I run too fast on long runs and feel burned out for the next three days") and focusing on it the next run. ("slow, slow slow slow") I would think that the best runners who are striving for marginal improvements would have the most need to be specific in training zones. And yet you will find that with the exception of maybe a couple workouts a week, most do not watch pace or HR like a hawk. So by the time you get good enough to make use of precision, you probably dont need the tool anymore.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Scout7

That right there was the absolute best post on the subject. Ever.
                              If you want to know the benefits of HRM come to "http://www.runningahead.com/groups/LOWHRTR/". Lots of good stuff about HR and how to use it simply and effectively. I love my HRM and would recommend it even for a beginner runner. You do not need to calculate your zones, I have never done that, but you can use few methods that can show you the proper HR to train.

Prince of Fatness

All I know is the day that I decided to stop being fixated on numbers was the first day of MrPH the new runner. Race times have come down ever since. Every day is different. Every run has a purpose. Numbers only matter to me now on race day.

Not at it at all.