Billy Joel or Elton John? (Read 737 times)

Who is better? I can't decide!

Michelle

btb1490

New stuff or older stuff?
        New stuff or older stuff?
        I think to be fair we'd have to include it all.

Michelle

Imminent Catastrophe

That's a tough call, they're both great, but I'll take Billy. A few years back they were touring together, and I had tix. Flight was delayed and I missed it. D'oh!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

That's a tough call, they're both great, but I'll take Billy. A few years back they were touring together, and I had tix. Flight was delayed and I missed it. D'oh!
            Oh, that stinks! I would have been furious, weren't those tickets expensive? I'm thinking Billy too. I think I know more of his songs.

Michelle

Elton John all the way. Way more range, flamboyant outfits, has worked with many more interesting singers/songwriters/musicians.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I saw the Face to Face tour (original...I think they did 2 tours). It was AMAZING! I love both of these guys. They really can't be compared. Their styles are so different, but they really play off of each other so well on the stage together. They're such showmen! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

btb1490

Ahh, I was lucky enough to see them both together, and also individually. Ok, as far as raw musical talent goes, I have to give the nod to Elton John. His creativity, piano playing skills and singing are better. But you have to like his style to appreciate it. Billy Joel is a great story teller. Most of his stuff was conjured up on napkins in a bar. But his style and combination of piano playing, singing and storytelling just works. Also, he is a local guy here, so I am partial to that as well. I think that the earlier works of both artists were their best stuff. Billy Joel is losing his voice these days. Elton John I think has lost his focus. I guess my answer is.... it's a tie!
                    Because of Elton John singing the song for Lion King it is my husband's favorite movie, we have a Lion King poster (framed) in our bedroom. My husband would say that Elton is better. I know more of Billy Joel's songs, so I think I'm leaning more towards him.

Michelle

Elton John all the way. Way more range, flamboyant outfits, has worked with many more interesting singers/songwriters/musicians.
                      DITTO!!!!!!!!!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Very close call. EJ is the more talented pianist/musician. However, he doesn't write lyrics (most often written by Bernie Taupin; also with Tim Rice on Lion King and Aida). BJ is not quite as good on the keys as EJ, but he's a little more complete in that he writes his music and lyrics. I've seen both [separately] in concert (lucky enough to see EJ in the early 80's when he dressed absolutely outrageously). They are both outstanding performers/showmen. I'm gonna give the tiniest edge to Billy Joel b/c it's Tuesday. Meaning it could easily be Elton John on Wednesday.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Very close call. EJ is the more talented pianist/musician. However, he doesn't write lyrics (most often written by Bernie Taupin; also with Tim Rice on Lion King and Aida). BJ is not quite as good on the keys as EJ, but he's a little more complete in that he writes his music and lyrics. I've seen both [separately] in concert (lucky enough to see EJ in the early 80's when he dressed absolutely outrageously). They are both outstanding performers/showmen. I'm gonna give the tiniest edge to Billy Joel b/c it's Tuesday. Meaning it could easily be Elton John on Wednesday.
                          Very true about Bernie! GREAT Duo he and Elton Make/made

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I prefer Billy Joel. Cool
                            ---- Cynthia

Imminent Catastrophe

... Ok, as far as raw musical talent goes, I have to give the nod to Elton John. His creativity, piano playing skills and singing are better. But you have to like his style to appreciate it. Billy Joel is a great story teller. Most of his stuff was conjured up on napkins in a bar. But his style and combination of piano playing, singing and storytelling just works. Also, he is a local guy here, so I am partial to that as well. ...
                              Well said. Elton has more pure talent, but his songs, to me, have a certain "sameness" to them, nothing really different. Joel's songs are more "fun" and diverse, IMHO. A good example is one of my favorites, "The Entertainer", which is one of the best satires on the music industry ever: I am the entertainer And I know just where I stand Another Serenader And another long-haired man Today I am your champion I may have won your hearts But I know the game, you'll forget my name And I won't be here in another year If I don't stay on the charts I am the entertainer And I've had to pay my price The things I did not know at first I learned by doin' twice Ah, but still they come to haunt me Still they want their say So I've learned to dance with a hand in my pants I let 'em rub my neck and I write 'em a check And they go their merry way I am the entertainer Been all around the world I've played all kinds of palaces And laid all kinds of girls I can't remember faces I don't remember names Ah, but what the hell You know it's just as well 'Cause after a while and a thousand miles It all becomes the same I am the entertainer I bring to you my songs I'd like to spend a day or two I can't stay that long No, I've got to meet expenses I got to stay in line Gotta get those fees to the agencies And I'd love to stay but there's bills to pay So I just don't have the time I am the entertainer I come to do my show You've heard my latest record It's been on the radio Ah, it took me years to write it They were the best years of my life It was a beautiful song But it ran too long If you're gonna have a hit You gotta make it fit So they cut it down to 3:05 I am the entertainer The idol of my age I make all kinds of money When I go on the stage Ah, you've seen me in the papers I've been in the magazines But if I go cold I won't get sold I'll get put in the back in the discount rack Like another can of beans I am the entertainer And I know just where I stand Another Serenader And another long-haired man Today I am your champion I may have won your hearts But I know the game, you'll forget my name I won't be here in another year If I don't stay on the charts. And there's another stanza which was on a live version I used to have that replaced the second stanza: I am the entertainer And I dress to fit the style I wear all kinds of sparkles flash the crowd my smile but when the night is over I stand without my clothes perspiration stains and vericose veins my eyes look shot my belly's got a pot and there's a pimple on my nose genius.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Prophet!

normally i would say neither BUT...one of may favorite movie is Almost Famous and so the nod goes to EJ.