Asics versus Saucony... GO! (Read 12341 times)

I currently have 2 pair of Asics and no Sauconys in my active arsenal for what that's worth.  My general impression of Asics vs. Saucony is that Sauconys break down faster.

I use Asics and have over 1300 km on my current pair.  They are just starting to break down now and I am replacing them with Asics again, once my running store gets a pair of size 13's delivered.  But you really need to go wtih what fits best, it doesn't matter what brand it is.

I find this really surprising, because I had exactly the opposite experience, I got <500 km out of my Asics, but I got >1000 from my Saucony. They then cut the model I liked, and I've moved to Brooks Glycerin and a couple different Puma shoes, all of which have lasted much longer than the Asics I started with.

Yet more proof that it`s really the shoe that has to be matched to the foot and biomechanics.

mikeymike

Yet more proof that it`s really the shoe that has to be matched to the foot and biomechanics.

Yep.  My sample size on Sauconys is really small since I just don't think I like how they fit me.  I had a pair of Fastwitch Endurance and a pair of Sinisters.  In both cases I retired them after just over 300 miles but I think it was mostly due to the fact that I never really liked them and was looking for an excuse to retire them.

Nikes and Asics generally last me 700+ miles.  Probably because I like the fit/feel from the get go.

Different strokes for different feet.

Runners run

Kimmie,

I was in a similar situation, though sometimes I wonder if I blamed Asics for things that had less to do with their product than I imagined.

I have been running in Mizuno, primarily the Inspire and am pretty happy with them.  For more support, you could go with Nirvana, but I feel like that might be a bit too much shoe for someone your size. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

half-fast

This is an interesting thread, in that I recently made the same switch myself.  Really liked the Asics nimbus 9, but the nimbus 10 and 11 got to be too heavy.  I switched over to the Saucony Ride and put more miles on them then I have put on any shoe so far.  They're light and seem to maintain their cushion really well.  I'm now trying a pair of Saucony Cohesions because the store didn't have Rides in my size.  The verdict is still out on the Cohesions, but so far so good.
          bhearn

Yep.  My sample size on Sauconys is really small since I just don't think I like how they fit me.  I had a pair of Fastwitch Endurance and a pair of Sinisters.  In both cases I retired them after just over 300 miles but I think it was mostly due to the fact that I never really liked them and was looking for an excuse to retire them.

The Sinisters are the one shoe from Saucony that I haven't liked, and I don't think it was just me. They just felt kind of dead on the road, they didn't have quite the same fit as other Sauconys, and they wore out extremely quickly. I talked to a Saucony rep at CIM who told me that yeah, there were problems with the Sinisters, and they are being retired.

she runs like a girl

This thread has really made me think. Perhaps it is a good fit that makes a certain shoe last longer, or is it all in our minds and just our running style that determines how long as shoes lasts.

I don't get a ridiculously short lifespan out of my Asics - I got my current pair in July (Nimbus 11s) and around that time I also purchased Cumulus 10s to rotate with.

I'm running around 200km (125 miles) or less per month and I use the Nimbus 11s for probably 60-75% of my running (they are my favourite).

Doing the math with the Nimbus 11 at 70% of my running time, that's about 600miles. Which isn't bad, but I don't think it's great whe the shoes retail at around $170 in Canada

I just want to give Sauconys a try. They are less expensive But I am very fussy about the feel of my shoes. Weight of the shoe does not bother me because I wear a ladies 6, so they all feel light Smile

2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"

I've actually recently gone the other direction, from Saucony to Asics.  Granted, they are completely different shoes (midweight Ride/Guides --> lighter DS Trainers) so comparison is difficult, but the Asics are by far the most comfortable shoes I've tried.  Now when I run in the Sauconys (Sauconies?) it feels like I have canoes on my feet. 

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

keeponrunning

Haven't read the whole thread yet, but I know of a Saucony Outlet on Grand St. in Cambridge.  Actually, just found out about it earlier today.  Never been there, but it may be worth checking out. 

p.s. Me and kimmi311 are from the same city, if anybody is wondering.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

keeponrunning

Kimmie,

I was in a similar situation, though sometimes I wonder if I blamed Asics for things that had less to do with their product than I imagined.

I have been running in Mizuno, primarily the Inspire and am pretty happy with them.  For more support, you could go with Nirvana, but I feel like that might be a bit too much shoe for someone your size. 

In case you try to find them, Mizuno's are not available in Canada as far as I know.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

In case you try to find them, Mizuno's are not available in Canada as far as I know.

Not true... Mizunos are just as common as any other brand around here (Kingston, Ottawa etc.).

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

A Saucy Wench

I was an Asics gal for years and then all of a sudden I got 2 lemon pairs and I've never gone back.  One pair, even though it was identical to the previous pair was about 1/2 smaller and the next pair the stitching tore out where the mesh meets leather in about 25 miles. I abused that pair on mud runs for awhile.

I've never had saucony's fit me but when I was shopping last weekend they felt good so I bought a pair.  They are still virginal and pretty in their box.   Maybe tomorrow.

I mostly run brooks right now (although I couldnt find a pair last week that i liked) and mizunos. Brooks for long runs as they are uber padded and mizunos for speedwork and hills as they are a bit more flexy.

I wanted to try Nikes again as I hear the fit is changed but they were out of them in my size.  I havent worn Nikes since 2003.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

dennrunner

They are still virginal and pretty in their box.  

hmmm

hmmm

Get back over to the Hallmark thread!

Jack Kerouac

I was an Asics gal for years and then all of a sudden I got 2 lemon pairs and I've never gone back.  One pair, even though it was identical to the previous pair was about 1/2 smaller and the next pair the stitching tore out where the mesh meets leather in about 25 miles. I abused that pair on mud runs for awhile.

I was an ASICs fundamentalist for a long while, probably 15 years.  GEL-2100, GT-2140, others.  Than about 4-5 years ago, I started noticing that they just didn't feel like they had the same amount of cushioning. It was almost as if the company had changed the manufacturing process or the material in some way.  My feet hurt, and Ijust couldn't narrow it down to anything but the shoes.  I hung on for a while, but a couple years ago tried Saucony and have been more than happy with them. 

Currently running on Saucony Triumph 6.  I think they are last year's model but I'm really liking them.

I wore (and loved) Asics for years until they changed the Nimbus so much it was almost a stability shoe (on my foot, anyway).  On my 3rd or 4th Saucony Triumph...have both the 5's and the 6's...the 6's seem more stable, so I have a feeling I won't like the 7's and will have to find another shoe.