Garmin and rain (Read 948 times)

I am planning on running a 5K later today with my new "toy", the Garmin 305. I have very quickly become addicted to running with this device to keep an eye on pace, heart rate, miles run, route, etc ... great tool! Anyway, according to the weather there is a good chance I will be running in rain, not drizzle, but RAIN! I would like to hear from others that have worn their Garmin devices while raining. Any problems? thanks! Smile
    2010 Goals: (1) Run Hog Pen Hill Climb (a 17K up one of the north Georgia mountains) (January) (2) Run Callaway Half Marathon faster than last year (January) (3) Run 5 Points of Life Half Marathon (February)
    Sulli42

I've been out in a pretty good downpour with mine and had no problems, I would definitely dry it well immediately after the run though. Enjoy your rain run, I'm jealous. Looks like I'll be doing a snow run, this morning.
        Try putting scotch tape over the speakers. Jeffgoblue has some good advice http://www.runningahead.com/forums/search?keywords=scotch+tape+speakers&a=Search
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

No problems and don't mess with the tape. The thing is made to be water resistant. Some folks swim in them.

No problems and don't mess with the tape. The thing is made to be water resistant. Some folks swim in them.
            You can swim in them, but the manual specifically states that while the watch has such and such a depth of water resistance, it is not meant to be submerged. Just an FYI. Rain is no problem though. I taped the speakers, but that was to prevent sweat and gunk from getting stuck in there as opposed to rain water.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

JakeKnight

Since I happen to be sitting here looking at the owner's manual and getting ready to de-virginify this thing, here you go: The Forerunner is waterproof to IEC Standard 60529 IPX7 (editor's note: isn't that frickin' helpful?). It can withstand immersion in one meter of water for 30 minutes. Prolonged submersion can cause damage to the unit ... This product is not intended to be used while swimming.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

Another Passion

Since I happen to be sitting here looking at the owner's manual and getting ready to de-virginify this thing, here you go: The Forerunner is waterproof to IEC Standard 60529 IPX7 (editor's note: isn't that frickin' helpful?). It can withstand immersion in one meter of water for 30 minutes. Prolonged submersion can cause damage to the unit ... This product is not intended to be used while swimming.
                Congrautlations on the new toy, JK. Give you something new to play with besides... errr... nevermind. Blush

Rick
                "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                runningforcassy.blogspot.com

JakeKnight

Congrautlations on the new toy, JK.
                  Thank you. It was an unexpected surprise. Now please slap me if I start talking about my heart rate too much.

freckles

I have been running in the rain for the last 4 months (what can i say, i'm from scotland) and my garmin is still alive!

You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.

Another Passion

Thank you. It was an unexpected surprise. Now please slap me if I start talking about my heart rate too much.
                      Will do. I'll only really get concerned though when you start running with an ekg monitor and anal temperature probe. Roll eyes

Rick
                      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Dog-Love

Ouch! and sort of weird!
                        Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                          Will do. I'll only really get concerned though when you start running with an ekg monitor and anal temperature probe. Roll eyes
                          Looks like I need to update my garmin firmware and check the website out for new accessories Cool

Vim

JakeKnight

Does that come with the 405? Dammit. I should have waited.

Well, I ran my 5K today ... and no rain during the race! Big grin However, it is pouring now (4 hours later). Just an FYI, I ran my best time of this year so far ... 27:21. I am pleased with that time for today ... but want to bring it down to 25ish as the year proceeds and I continue my training goal for my first marathon in November ... Still love my Garmin! Carole
                              2010 Goals: (1) Run Hog Pen Hill Climb (a 17K up one of the north Georgia mountains) (January) (2) Run Callaway Half Marathon faster than last year (January) (3) Run 5 Points of Life Half Marathon (February)
                                My Garmin leaks like crazy - I've had to bake it in the oven (very low temp for extended period of time) twice to get rid of the water inside the watch. It's none the worse for wear, though. I carry a ziploc sandwich bag now so I can slip it into if I'm caught in the rain.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous