Can a runner be a soccer player? (Read 2009 times)

At least you don't get teased by your teammates. Being the only one in my team that races and runs, I always get teased whenever I sub myself out because I cannot sustain such high intensity for so long. Tongue
    There is one other "runner" on my team, but we are two of the only three females on our team. Since we are allowed just one girl on the field at a time we are very fair with how long we stay out there. So, no teasing going on about how long we stay out. I do, however...get busted on for how I cannot kick. I can run fast, I can get the ball, but once I have it I have no ability to kick it hard. So I always pass it away as soon as possible. Roll eyes They say I play Hot Potato with it.

Michelle

pandajenn19

I think my ankles are weak and because of that, I have trouble with outdoor soccer due to uneven surfaces. My feet hurt terribly after playing outside. Maybe if I played outside on a regular basis I would gain some strength in my ankles at least and I would not have so much pain with it. Confused
      I'm browsing some threads trying to get a feel for the site, and wanted to suggest that you consider doing some cross training on a BOSU. You can do many variations of squats, lunges, jogging in place, etc., all of which will strengthen your ankles and the soft tissues of your lower legs. It's the best I know to help in that area. (Not to mention it is much more fun to do squats and lunges using a BOSU than just on the floor!) Smile

Hoodoo Guru

Add me to the list of soccer players. It takes a practice or two to get my soccer legs under me, but after that, I'm good. I've never missed a soccer game due to a soccer injury, and I started at age 13 and am now 49. I have missed a season of soccer due to running injury though (plantar fasciitis.) I play keeper on Saturdays when I am going to do long runs on Sunday. When not doing long runs I'm typically at wing fullback. Saturday games also keep me from racing more, since most races tend to be on Saturday mornings.

The tangents are moot.

I'm browsing some threads trying to get a feel for the site, and wanted to suggest that you consider doing some cross training on a BOSU. You can do many variations of squats, lunges, jogging in place, etc., all of which will strengthen your ankles and the soft tissues of your lower legs. It's the best I know to help in that area. (Not to mention it is much more fun to do squats and lunges using a BOSU than just on the floor!) Smile
          I've had the worse luck with squats. From the few times I've rolled my ankles I have a lot pain with doing squats. It took until recently to get full motion back in my one ankle. Lunges I've done a little bit of, and I often forget about including them in my workouts. But I'll start, and I'll look into other ankle strengthening workouts as well. Smile

Michelle

I play keeper on Saturdays when I am going to do long runs on Sunday. When not doing long runs I'm typically at wing fullback. Saturday games also keep me from racing more, since most races tend to be on Saturday mornings.
            Our poor keeper tonight, he got a workout and a half!!! That man has the patience of a Saint. Our team lost, again. Injuries were happening on both teams like crazy. Our team suffered a ball to the face of our captain, he got rushed to the office for ice since the ball hit him squarely on the eye and it burst something just below his eye and it swelled instanty, deep purple too. Another player pulled his hamstring mid-stride while going full speed, that wasn't pretty. Another got mixed up in a fall with a player on the other team, they both came up cursing. Blush I got my left ankle stomped on but nothing more than a bruise came from that. What a night. We owe our goalie a beer, or few.

Michelle

^so what's the final score? and what would be the final score if your keeper hadn't been so heroic? Big grin
                ^so what's the final score? and what would be the final score if your keeper hadn't been so heroic? Big grin
                Final score 7-5. What would it have been? Probably something insane like 11-5. Blush

Michelle

TexasRunner

I love soccer (futbol), but my skillz ain't as great as my passion for the game so I was relegated to being a defender. Although both involve running, soccer is more demanding than running, mostly because there are a lot of lateral movements requiring muscles you never use when running.
                  Really? We always put our weakest players at forward because a mistake by a forward just means a lost scoring opportunity. A mistake by a defender means you're pulling the ball out of the back of your net, so don't belittle the position. I'll admit I'm biased because I have a son who plays defender in college for a D1 school. I have had the same problem after playing softball. It seems like a pretty lazy game, but there is a lot of lateral movement, and you do a lot of standing around/sprint stuff that you don't do while running. Besides, the other suggestions, just keep playing. Your muscles will eventually adapt, and you'll be overall in better physical condition because of it. Although they're younger, I coach a number of runners who also play soccer. I just make sure I count their soccer time against their total running time for the week. A midfielder gets in a bunch of running during a game or practice.
                    Yet another soccer player.... although I didn't start running until I'd played 18 years of soccer. I'm primarily a wing defender or midfielder, but I've played at least a season at every position on the field. It's no problem co-existing, I was on the university XC team my last year of school and still played in the intramural league and played consecutive games after XC practice.
                      I thought of this thread last week after a rough game. One player rolled an ankle (she ended up on crutches for a week), another popped his calf muscle (he's still limping around), and another has an ongoing sports hernia he still plays with and he was all gimpy afterwards. NONE of those people are runners, and none of those people warmed up or stretched. BUT...it had me a little nervous that game wondering if I was going to be next with an injury.

Michelle

Hoodoo Guru

So I gave up long weekend runs because of spring soccer, and we have been rained out three of the last four weeks and had a week off for Easter. I can run in the rain, why can't we play soccer in it? Blah.

The tangents are moot.

Because playing soccer in the rain would make the ball disgustingly heavy and would take 28.63 times the effort to kick it the same distance when it isn't raining. Big grin

Old, Slow, Happy

I am not a soccer player. I am, however, the soccer coach for the local high school. I have been encouraging my players to run distances for game endurance. I had 4 of them run in Dave's Snowshoe 10 mile race in January and 3 of them ran Churchhill's Half-Marathon in March. I think the issue with runners playing soccer is the sprinting vs. distance muscles used. The quick starts are especially at issue since they happen many times while playing soccer and only once in a race. By the way, two of them beat me in the 10 mile and one beat me in the 1/2.
                            Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Soccer is great! Playing for years. I think running makes you a better footballer more so than football making you a better runner. Its a great social sport. Running can be a lonesome old sport however much you love it. I look forward to my weekly game.

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

Soccer is great but you will rue the day when you get injured (and you will) and not be able to run. So if your serious 'bout running, hang up your boots. "Nuff said.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka