Automatic sync with Garmin Connect (Read 453 times)

runmichigan

How do you know Strava, etc... Were "taken care of?" Perhaps $5G just scales better to their business models and they didn't flinch. Perhaps Garmin knows that.

As  I recall Strava, Training Peaks, and a few others announced they would be releasing an auto sync shortly after Garmin announced their new model.  Garmin did not announce the availability and the pricing of the proprietary API until a few months later.  Did they charge Strava and others for it?  I don't know, but as you said $5000 would only be a drop in the bucket for them.  I do know that it appears that Garmin did not intend to make their API available to the small providers right away.  It may have been they wanted to make sure their partners were taken care of first.  Or it may have been they tweaked their business model and agreed to sell it to the smaller providers when some "complaints" we're voiced.  Either way it is still a lot to ask the smaller providers operating on a shoestring to pay $5000 for a proprietary API. To me it is a way to drive users to the Garmin partners and maybe drive a few of the smaller providers out of business.  But then I might be just a bit cynical ; )

Coach_Mark

Any update on this?  I know about the $$$ to make it happen and that as a result it may not happen, but wondering if still on the wish list or just realize integration is not in the cards

mikeymike

Any update on this?  I know about the $$$ to make it happen and that as a result it may not happen, but wondering if still on the wish list or just realize integration is not in the cards

I HAVE GREAT NEWS! You can help make it a reality.

Clickety, click, click.

Runners run