Best concealed weapon to carry on runs. (Read 462 times)

Additionally, I've had a couple cars swerve and try to hit me and once a car followed me into a field trying to run me over.  

I think shooting a car will just make it mad.

Dave

Snowdenrun

I've been thinking about his too lately. Mostly though because I live in bear country. BIG bear country. Not bad neighborhoods. I normally hike with a 12 gauge or a a Marlin 45.70. But those obviously aren't great to run with. I've been running with bear spray. Though that's really more like a security blanket; provides comfort but no real protection. I'm considering getting a Lady Smith. My problem comes with finding a holster that's easy to access the gun and left handed.

+1 on going to the local or multiple local gun stores to find what fits you best.

Ostrich runner

My understanding is that bear spray is more effective than a handgun. That said, I've been in position to use bear spray before, and I would've rather had a gun. Ultimately though, I'm fine and the bear wasn't shot. I have carried a weapon backpacking (though I usually don't), but never while running. If for some reason I felt the need, I think I'd look at something like the Mosquito. If someone felt like chasing, just tap 'em a couple times in the quads.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

My understanding is that bear spray is more effective than a handgun. 

I've seen all the studies and well, yeah, bear spray does look good.  IMHO part of this is simply because it is easier to "hit the mark" with bear spray, create a big cloud that gets in their eyes.  With a pistol you basically need to hit them in the CNS or they will be chewing on your bones when they finally pass out from blood loss.  BTW if anyone is going to carry a handgun for bear make sure you get proper hardcase lead ammo, use hollowpoints/jacketed ammo and you are asking to fail.

The downfall of spray is wind.  You are most likely to have a surprise encounter with a bear when the wind is in your face...it can't smell you coming and leave (that's usually what they want to do).  Use a spray in that situation and you are as likely to incapacitate yourself as the bear.  The worst I was ever afraid of a grizzly, we were walking out through a narrow pass where grizzlies had been seen with great frequency the past few days, with 80lbs of elk meat on my back.  It was dark, but there was a 60mph wind in my face.  Spray would have been useless in that situation.

i have never carried bear spray in the past but the next time I am hunting in grizzly country I do plan to carry both spray and sidearm.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Daydreamer1

If I just looked up the right gun, the Lady Smith only comes in mid range calibers which would be a problem with the big bears. I know that Kahr Arms has a few pistols that come in .45 ACP that are fairly lightweight, I believe that some may be around 20 oz, however, that may be unloaded. Do a web search and you should be able to find something that would work for you.

The one nice thing about living on the east coast is the bears are timid, shy and small. I actually worry more about coyotes then bears although a surprised momma with cubs can get nasty.

I've been thinking about his too lately. Mostly though because I live in bear country. BIG bear country. Not bad neighborhoods. I normally hike with a 12 gauge or a a Marlin 45.70. But those obviously aren't great to run with. I've been running with bear spray. Though that's really more like a security blanket; provides comfort but no real protection. I'm considering getting a Lady Smith. My problem comes with finding a holster that's easy to access the gun and left handed.

+1 on going to the local or multiple local gun stores to find what fits you best.

Black-Toe-Nailed

if somebody points you with a gun, no matter how fast you draw you will be dead meat before you can draw. That's a fact, just recall thes democrat woman shot by that crazy tea-bagger some years ago. She was surrounded by professionals and none got a chance.

Carrying a concealed weapon makes even less sense.  Carrying it on sight not much more, but at least scares away potential unarmed attackers..

i used to run and walk with a weapon, an automatic assault rifle... But i was in the army  then.

Guns are excellent attack weons but very deficient defensive tools.

--

"If one can stick to the training throughout the many long years,
              then will power is no longer a problem. It's raining? That doesn't matter.
              I am tired? That's besides the point. It's simply that I just have to."

Emil Zatopek

Snowdenrun

The Lady Smith can come in a .38 special/ .357 magnum.

But back to the OP.. I pretty much agree with this. It may feel more comforting knowing you have a concealed carry, but will it really help you? I guess it wouldn't hurt either.

Carrying a concealed weapon makes even less sense.  Carrying it on sight not much more, but at least scares away potential unarmed attackers..

There are TONS of guns to choose from. Going to a store or gun show and actually handling different guns will be a huge help.

BIS

High Horse

1. Maybe run elsewhere.

2. If you whip out a gun in any of these situations, it'll wind up worse for you... not better.

3. A handgun isn't really going to help you much with bears and meece. Maybe rattlesnakes if you are a very very good shot.

4. Maybe run elsewhere.  Kudos for seeing bear, moose, and snakes.  Cougars would be cool.

1. As a US citizen run where you want. You have that right.

2. That's what training is about. You can protect yourself.

3. You do not need a gun against bears and rattlesnakes. I have come across both many times. No reason to shoot at them. They will leave you alone if you do the same.

4. See #1 Run where you want.

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member ~ Groucho Marx.

Nevermind...

1. As a US citizen run where you want. You have that right.

Except on a railroad right of way. Or my lawn.

Runners run

Dream Maker

I thought about this before when some guy in a car slowly followed my home.   Thankfully that time a neighbor saw and came out threatening to call the cops and he drove off.  In the end, i just always carry my phone on me.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Wtf?!!  I'm still hoping this is a joke / troll thread. Please let that be true.

If you think you need a handgun to keep you safe on a run then you should run somewhere else. I can't imagine that having a gun will improve any scenario.

Shooting a bear with a handgun is more likely to decrease your chance of survival.

While it wouldn't do you much good against a bear, in the event of some sort of mugger/attacker, the Ka-Bar TDI knife isn't a bad option. It's definitely a close-combat, last defense weapon. My wife carries one when she runs later in the evenings. It's not necessarily the lightest, but it's not heavy either. The sheath conceals well and allows for quicker access than a folding blade knife with a belt clip.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

My wife and I just finished shopping for our first handgun, for concealed carry.  We ended up with a Beretta Nano.  We handled a lot of different guns, this one seemed to fit my wife's hand the best (it's primarily for her use - I'll be getting one for me later).  We've only put...I guess about 150 rounds through it, but so far, it seems like a good gun.

For me the issue with running isn't the gun, it's finding a decent holster - tried one of those concealed-carry fanny packs, the one on Amazon that has a video review where the guy specifically says it was great when he went out running.  Um...his gait must be much different from mine.  Going to try one of those belly wrap ones later.

As to why I'm interested in carrying on a run, it's because there are a lot of these bad boys around:

...and they're generally fairly aggressive if surprised.  Granted, I've never seen a sounder while out on a run, but I know they're out there.  There are also a lot of loose dogs, which are generally only dangerous if they're in numbers, as they sometimes are.

And I know those hogs are similar to bears in terms of how much real damage a 9mm with a 7-shot clip will do, but if/when the moment comes, it will just make me feel better to have something besides a couple of Gu packets to respond with.  Who knows, maybe the shots will scare them off?

People are at the bottom of the list of things prompting me to consider this, though it is a very rural area, and while the toothless, drunken, angry redneck isn't as common around here as people like to think - there are a few.  And if one decides to "teach me a lesson," I'd rather not have to get into close combat with him.  The smell, you know.

And spaniel's right.  The vast bulk of the concealed carry class we took dealt with when you're supposed to keep it in your pants, as it were.  The answer being: always, if possible.  Going into it as someone who wasn't entirely sold on the idea of even owning a gun, it was nice to see the extent to which the legislation goes to keep it from becoming the Wild West.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Purdey

Self anointed title

My wife and I just finished shopping for our first handgun

I love those wholesome family shopping trips.