Best concealed weapon to carry on runs. (Read 462 times)

Feeling the growl again

I'm thinking the only weapon I'd need would be for dogs. Pepper spray would probably do. How do you guys carry it?

i'd never run with a gun. If it's that dangerous, why run there?

Don't most of the bear sprays come with a holster you can clip on?  I need to get one but have not, but I THINK they do.  The smaller ones don't weigh much at all so the bounce should not be a big deal.

(yes I said bear spray.  I figure they are designed to hit a charging target, go big or go home.  I'd choose a smaller volume on those instead of leaning towards the larger volume I would get with a bear).

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

zonykel

Don't most of the bear sprays come with a holster you can clip on?  I need to get one but have not, but I THINK they do.  The smaller ones don't weigh much at all so the bounce should not be a big deal.

(yes I said bear spray.  I figure they are designed to hit a charging target, go big or go home.  I'd choose a smaller volume on those instead of leaning towards the larger volume I would get with a bear).

Looks like some pepper sprays come with a holster, but not all. I found this one, but not sure it'll bounce too much. http://www.udap.com/sprayholsters.htm

Half Fanatic #846

I'm thinking the only weapon I'd need would be for dogs. Pepper spray would probably do. How do you guys carry it?

I've run with  "Muzzle mace brand" for the last few years - a dog spray I'm guessing is 2 oz. and clips onto my waistband. Had to use it once with good resuts.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

NHLA

There are two good choices. A 25 auto or 38 revolver. The seacamp 25 auto  or S&W 38 hammerless titanium.

Go to a range where they will let you use both.

Take a safety class.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Purdey

Self anointed title

Running with guns.

Running with guns is okay...just don't cross the line by bringing these bad boys with you:

Poppypbr

Have never run with any weapon. Also, I've never been bitten by a dog after 30 years of road training. I commonly run through a dog park where dogs have no leashes...some will chase me. I've learned how to deal with dogs psychologically and they are truly man's best friends. Dogs that were trained to be overly aggressive are the only problem but they will usually respond with baby talk too, just not as quickly. If they run at you while growling, that says to stop and face them directly...it is unwise to try to outrun them...they are faster on a short distance and programmed to attack the legs from behind, just like a wolf or coyote.

German Shepards like to test your courage by making a quick pass close to you and they are one person dogs so its a good idea to talk pleasantly to their owner. I love labradors, particularly the yellows and the blacks. They are very intelligent and calm immediately if you act friendly. Chocolate labs are a little more skittish, but they are beautiful animals and easy to like. Doberman's act scary but are really very nice dogs if you acknowledge them with kindness. They also make close passes that test your courage. Remain calm and they will settle down. Baby talk works wonders. All dogs seem to be able to detect if you are actually a threat other than some of the little barky indoor toy breeds that are somewhat neurotic from captivity and a lack of outside contact. They are programmed to be yappy doorbells too so don't get excited about them.

Be careful about petting a pit bull. They are fighting dogs, very strong for their size and lightning quick and unaccustomed to petting. They will snap at you as a natural defense as if your hand was a dog attacking them. But talking to them works because that is how they are trained and they are quite responsive to a pleasant, complimentary voice. i.e. "Good doggy, good boy, atta boy". I once made the mistake of petting a bit bull and he reacted with a "jaw snap" as a reflex. Lightning quick and the only dog that ever touched me. He managed to get a tooth through the edge of my shorts and scared the hell out of the owner who had him on a leash too! Phew! We're friends now and I just talk to him. The dog can't help that reflex. He is a rescued fighting dog but very loyal and protective to his doting solo female owner. Being a rescue dog, he's not a great family pet but for compact size and scary fast, perfect for its owner. His name? "Caligula".  Smile

zonykel

aIna while back, I lived in a small town where my landlord was my neighbor. Houses weren't close, though, as he had a couple of horses with plenty of room for them.

well, he had a pit bull. He said that the dog didn't have a mean bone in his body. Well, I tell you what, I never trusted that dog. I told my kids to stay away from it (they were in elementary school than).

one time I went to their house to pay the rent. Well, the dog started barking and charged towards me. I just froze. I don't recall exactly what I did. The dog just circled around me, barking, and wagging his tail (didn't seem friendly, though). Eventually, my landlord came out and got the dog. I never walked to their house again. But this dog had a wide range that claimed as his territory (and that included my house). So I was careful. He never attacked, but the potential was always there.

Ostrich runner

+1

It's not a "kinda/sorta" crime like killing a hooker.

It's when you start talking about cougar hookers that it becomes complicated. Thank god Susie Favor survived her escapades.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Chasing the bus

I'm actually planning to carry bear spray and my .44 mag. titanium. My hope is the bear spray is sufficient. I think hand-carry may be best. Lots of stories of coming around a corner and being face to face with one. Fumbling with a holster seems like a bad idea. If not, my hope is the .44 saves a life. Not having done everything in my power to prevent a loss of life is not something I want to live with.

This is all prefaced by living and growing up in bear country. It's my back yard. Not gonna let them keep me out of the country I love. Never had to shoot one in defense, but have come close a few times.

John

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
                        Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

npaden

Here's a picture of me with my bear spray from a few years back.

You can see it on my hip in the holster.  We hunt in a VERY high density grizzly area in Wyoming very close to Yellowstone Park and always carry bear spray.  There was a big study done in Alaska several years back that pretty conclusively showed that bear spray is more effective than a side arm in dealing with bears.  It never hurts to practice discharging one (I've discharged one that was past it's expiration date) just to get a feel for it.  I think they would be overkill for a dog.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Here's a picture of me with my bear spray from a few years back.

You can see it on my hip in the holster.  We hunt in a VERY high density grizzly area in Wyoming very close to Yellowstone Park and always carry bear spray.  There was a big study done in Alaska several years back that pretty conclusively showed that bear spray is more effective than a side arm in dealing with bears.  It never hurts to practice discharging one (I've discharged one that was past it's expiration date) just to get a feel for it.  I think they would be overkill for a dog.

Man, that bear spray must pack quite a wallop.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

I don't think that statistic includes suicides in the US, which is about 20,000/year by firearm.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/suicide.htm

Feeling the growl again

I'm actually planning to carry bear spray and my .44 mag. titanium.

Taurus made the discontinued titanium Tracker in .357 and .41 ( I own one of the rare .41s).  S&W makes the N-frame .44 329PD (I own that too) but the frame is an aluminum allow (scandium).  What model is your titanium .44?  I've never heard of one so I am curious.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills